Family Dinners are killing me!

Options
So I am all for having family dinners with my other halfs entire family! Its so nice to be able to do it with the exception of the food being served...!

Full Fat
Lots of Butter
Tonnes of salt

Total sabatoge (not on purpose of course). They are from a time when people didnt care about what they ate and dont like the taste of low fat or low sodium foods....

Tonights dinner....KFC! HELP! My will power goes out the window too!
PS I cant really bring my own food....
Need suggestions
Thanks my friends!

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    If you can't pass on KFC, at least watch your portion sizes and choose the healthiest of the options.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Skin off the chicken, that's my only advice!! It's actually still relatively healthy as long as you pull the skin off.

But any of the sides are loaded with ick....
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    stay away from the mashed potatoes, biscuits and cole slaw, for staters. Can you ask them to get you the grilled type? Other than that, I'm not sure what else is on the menu for sides?
  • MelissaRosexXx
    MelissaRosexXx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I understand, my only suggestion is eat less of it and exercise more, the little things do help (take skin off, diet coke, not eating all the side dishes) does kfc do salads like m'ds? or can u buy a wrap from there?
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    yeap that's why i get super mad when we have family dinners. =/
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken from there isn't TOO bad on cals but the fat is still high. Good luck!
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Sk1nnyMoo Posts: 18
    Options
    eat before you go =o] then maybe have a vegetable as a side?
  • satimmons
    satimmons Posts: 9
    Options
    Sounds like you need a plan. Can you get the skinless chicken for youself. It's high in salt, but definitely lower in fat. Mash potatoes are okay, but stay away from the the gravy. Stick with corn and drink plenty of water. Hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have and would bring my own food. Most of the time it's a good conversation starter and I have gotten more support for my journey.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken is not so bad. Pull the skin off. If you can get the baked beans as a side, those would be okay too. Good luck!!
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    well only "unplanned" events like 3 weeks ago with the celebration of my parents anniversary, my father's day, my brother's bday all celebrated twice (dont know why, not like my family to do that)

if its planned, its okay cause its only 1 meal.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you eat with them only every once in awhile, then I wouldn't really worry about it. One meal won't kill you.
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    for sure take the skin off if it is fried. watch your portions. drink lots of water....and good luck!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    pulling skin off like others said, watch portions on the side dishes and making sure you get a good workout for the extra workout calories and bring your water to drink and youll be fine enjoy your family
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hey missy ... eat before you go, so the temptation is limited ... then just peel the skin off, have 1 piece of chicken, then if you're peckish still eat a bit more at home :) Scotties family? they eat like that ? h
  • leopardvice
    Options
    does kfc have salads?? thats what i do whenever im with someone who wants to order a pizza.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I usually get the Honey BBQ sandwich and corn on the cob...not the healthiest dinner, but better than what I would WANT to order. LOL But I agree with other posters - eat before you go (or work out like a mad woman before) - or you could pick up a salad and eat it there with everyone....
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Go on-line and check out the nutrition guide
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would either eat ahead of time, or take the skin off and have a healthier option. Load up on veges beforehand so you can indulge a little, but just go overboard!!