Diabetic 12 stepper

Options
ermid2
ermid2 Posts: 8 Member
I've worked a 12 step program since 1987.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @ermid2
    welcome to MFP
    I recommend you join the MFP group for Diabetics. You can find them at the "Group" option, dark blue banner above
    Here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    My brother has T2 diabetes. His medical insurance paid for nutrition advice from a licensed dietitian. Check your insurance, it may be covered.
    My brother has found American Diabetes Association website very useful. They have very useful and objective guidance for diabetics like recipes and guidelines. He has subscribed to their magazine Forecast.
    All the best
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    there is a 12 step program for diabetes? i just try to cope with the disease (T2). for me i find that the percentage of saturated fats compared to all fats is my trigger the more saturated fats the higher my fasting blood sugar will be. i try for 20%, other people have more issues with carbs... the the disease progresses differently amongst the population.
  • ermid2
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I'm kind a new to this diabetic thing.
  • ermid2
    Options
    I have a few OA FRIENDS that work a diabetic 12 step plan.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic then you need to cut out all dairy and try balancing blood sugar levels with chromium piccolinate and vanadyl sulfate. Also research camels milk to take in place of insulin

And if you're Type 1?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Best wishes ermid, there are two OA groups here on mfp if you are interested. They haven't been too active lately and could use your input I'm sure!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ermid2 wrote: »
    I've worked a 12 step program since 1987.
    Thank you for sharing. I'm kind a new to this diabetic thing.
    I have a few OA FRIENDS that work a diabetic 12 step plan.

Can you please clarify? Are you looking for help, support, answers? If you are looking for answers, what is the question?
  • keta8888
    keta8888 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jvcjcooper wrote: »
    there is a 12 step program for diabetes? i just try to cope with the disease (T2). for me i find that the percentage of saturated fats compared to all fats is my trigger the more saturated fats the higher my fasting blood sugar will be. i try for 20%, other people have more issues with carbs... the the disease progresses differently amongst the population.

Have you considered your gut health? I listened to a youtube article last night about gut health and how it effects pretty much everything in how we metabolise.
    It was so complicated however still worth some research if it helps your sugar levels balance out. I can't be very specific because it's was long and detailed conversation that i didn't retain all the info.
    Maybe check out gut health?
  • ermid2
    Options
    Thank you. I've been doing that. I work nights and sleep days. I've been on target with my food plan for 6 days now.
  • ermid2
    Options
    Gut health... Probiotics are part of my plan; thanks for caring.
  • ermid2
    Options
    I'm looking to be a part of a bigger whole. I'm looking for a change in my food life style. I'm looking to hear your "Experience, Strength & hope." I'm looking to share mine. I appreciate the question.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm looking for 12 step friends :). Sorry the first reply on your post was someone giving you orders lol. I do find the community pages are full of ruthless unsolicited advice. Try to bear with it to find all the gemstone people who are here too ;).

I'm just getting back into taking my nutrition and fitness as seriously as I take my 12 step recovery and am looking for like-minded people to not do it alone.

Have a good 24.

Bears.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic then you need to cut out all dairy and try balancing blood sugar levels with chromium piccolinate and vanadyl sulfate. Also research camels milk to take in place of insulin

Camel's milk?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options

Can I ask where you got your education from? The Diabetes Educator that my mother goes to didn't say anything to this effect. She needs to keep her carbs in check and lose weight to manage her diabetes. She drinks milk - dairy is fairly low carb. And I have another question, if she is supposed to stay away from dairy, then how can she drink camels milk? I wouldn't be giving out unsolicited advice to drink camels milk in place of taking insulin.