What pushed you to constant motivation?

I need help.

I need to exercise so badly but I just find excuse after excuse. I find the gym so boring and I can never actually be bothered to even get myself there. People say- if you don't like gym- try a sport or find a hobby. I like swimming but I don't like chlorine in my hair especially if I have just washed it. I am not wearing a swimming cap either. So yeah- excuses.

Maybe I just don't want it that badly or probably just lazy to be honest.

The only thing that motivates me for about a week or so is literally punishing myself by looking at pictures of girls with gorgeous bodies etc- I feel bad for about a week and go to the gym and eat healthy but i get bored and I can't keep putting myself down just to motivate myself. I am tired all of the time- maybe thats why i am so lazy and can't be bothered.

What i want to know is-

Is there anything that pushed you to be motivated all of the time? Did something happen where it just clicked? Anything inspirational you read or any useful links? Any help would be great :)

Replies

• Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    I also struggle with motivation all the time. This morning I chose to stay in bed longer then do a workout. I hate the gym with a passion. I am sooo not a fan of working out in front of other people (strangers mostly) I do dvd workouts in my livingroom. there are tons to try from. my fav's are Jillian Michaels. I also like some old school Tae Bo and Kick boxing as well as yoga. some stuff you can even stream on you tube. I tried belly dancing videos for a bit. this way it doesn't really feel like a workout because you are trying to learn something new.
  • 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    I dont know how this would work...i suggested it to my wife but she didnt want to try it.....buy something that you really want to wear but wont currently fit you. put it somewhere so that you see it everyday.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Well, a double-bypass seems to have worked for me, but I wouldn't recommend it. Results will keep you motivated if you can stick with it long enough to start seeing them. Find someway to make the gym fun. If cardio bores you, load a tv show that you've wanted to watch to your phone and only watch it when you're on a machine. Try different classes or different times, invest money into a set number of sessions with a personal trainer.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    I took last week off for a few different reasons, but I've been pretty consistent going twice a week and I'm working toward 3 times a week. For me, I'm motivated to go to the gym because:
    1. I'm paying for it
    2. I have friends that go to the same gym
    3. I have a personal trainer
    4. I've been lifting and getting stronger. Seeing the numbers go up is a huge encouragement :]
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    The drive comes from within. I've wanted to start running for about 2 years before I finally dug in and did it. I would always start running and after a week I just lost my drive or had an excuse from a hurt ankle. But really, I didn't want it as bad then. I always wanted to run at least a 5k. Something inside me changed or clicked. I wanted it. So in April I started running consistently not missing a day. And July 4th I ran my first race 5k race. I've continued to run and now am running about 6 mi every other day. With running sparking my fitness interest, I also started lifting and doing other exercises that I enjoy more on a regular basis, like swimming, yoga/Pilates, and belly dancing. And consciously eating what my body needs. You have to truly want it badly enough. That's where you get the determination and dedication. Everything else falls into place.
  • brandiwyliemoore
    brandiwyliemoore Posts: 23 Member
    Get a dog, or borrow one from a neighbor. The only reason I get exercise every day is because the dog demands a walk. Also, check if your gym has zumba or other dance classes. I have so much fun in zumba that I don't realize that I've gotten a good workout.
  • rome_411
    rome_411 Posts: 29 Member
    There can be many sources of motivation. For me, I didn't like the way I felt, looked, how my clothes fit or what the doctors were telling me. I looked in the mirror and saw where I was and envisioned where I wanted to be. Then I decided to work and research on how to get there. It required hard work, being active, commitment, and better eating habits. I then started finding workouts that were enjoyable and eventually working out became habitual and I added more diverse and challenging workouts. Try looking at it as a lifestyle change and set small goals en route to a larger one. You can reward yourself along the way and enjoy a new wardrobe when you are finished :-)
  • dsouldiva
    dsouldiva Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2016
    I would say that you haven't really 'found your why' yet. If you want to stick with anything that's not easy, you need to have a really good reason 'why' you're doing it. i.e. Do you want to have more energy, or feel physically strong or just feel good in your favourite dress.

Don't get hung up on the gym. You don't need to go to the gym to stay fit and healthy, you could walk, run, practice yoga, dance, ski (weather depending), skip etc etc. Alternatively you might get more out of it if you get a personal trainer whose job it is to motivate you and make exercise fun.

Also, looking at pictures of girls with gorgeous bodies could be counter-productive, most photoshoots feature heavily made -up, airbrushed and dehydrated models to make them look like they have 'amazing' bodies, the reality is most of them don't look like that day-to-day and you're striving for an unrealistic goal. Find a fitness buddy to make exercise more fun and find a real life person to motivate you.

There's a great book called 'the power of habit' that talks about how to build positive habits. Basically you need to set yourself triggers i.e. Every monday night, then make it easy to stick to (join a gym/class that's on your way home) and reward yourself when you stick to it. I buy myself a non-edible treat every week I stick to my exercise/diet plan. Good luck
  • quinngetsshredded
    quinngetsshredded Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2016
    You're probably not going to have "constant" motivation. I doubt anyone does. The key is to set something up so it's more of a habit-related decision than a motivation-driven one.

if you have trouble getting up in the morning to exercise, maybe try the evening;

Try packing your exercise gear for the gym the day before (or just put it in a pile for at home) so you don't have to bother pulling it together the day of;

If the only gym is far enough away that it's a hindrance to you going, set up a workout plan for at home.

Maybe pick something you'd like to be able to do (as a strength goal, self-defence goal, or whatever else;) and work toward that.

Waiting until you're motivated enough, especially for exercise, isn't always necessary. At least at the beginning, pick something that's quick or easy to start– and just start. You might not last as long as you'd like, but you'll have something.
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2016
    I agree with the post above. It took me three months of determined effort before I started genuinely enjoying exercise. Now it's easy to be motivated - I know I'll feel great afterwards. But for the first few months, I just made myself get in the habit.

I'm a firm believer in the phrase, "exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it". Trying to muster up motivation by looking at photos of models & celebrities is counter productive.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Discipline is what will keep you exercising. But finding something you want to do is also important. I think the gym is boring and would rather be doing anything else with my time. Finding a reason to keep yourself engaged is good too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I need help.

I need to exercise so badly but I just find excuse after excuse. I find the gym so boring and I can never actually be bothered to even get myself there. People say- if you don't like gym- try a sport or find a hobby. I like swimming but I don't like chlorine in my hair especially if I have just washed it. I am not wearing a swimming cap either. So yeah- excuses.

Maybe I just don't want it that badly or probably just lazy to be honest.

The only thing that motivates me for about a week or so is literally punishing myself by looking at pictures of girls with gorgeous bodies etc- I feel bad for about a week and go to the gym and eat healthy but i get bored and I can't keep putting myself down just to motivate myself. I am tired all of the time- maybe thats why i am so lazy and can't be bothered.

What i want to know is-

Is there anything that pushed you to be motivated all of the time? Did something happen where it just clicked? Anything inspirational you read or any useful links? Any help would be great :)

Nobody is motivated all of the time...motivation is an overrated emotion. We all do things day in and day out that we aren't necessarily motivated to do...are you always motivated to clean the bathroom or vacuum the floors or do the dishes? Probably not...but I bet you do those things anyways right? Why? Because if you didn't your house would go to crap and be unlivable right?

Well...your body is your house...take care of your house.

I think it's important to also establish an exercise schedule...have it scheduled...stick to schedule. Other than that, find something you enjoy doing more or less. I cycle...I love cycling...I don't always feel like going on my ride though...but I do it anyways because it's on the schedule.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    I agree with the post about lifting weights!! If "going to the gym" means sitting on an elliptical machine for 45 minutes of course you're bored!

But if it means going to the gym & lifting heavy things and trying to do one more rep than last time or increase how much weight you can lift- that makes you feel powerful and can be addictive!! Seeing your muscles become more defined and you body shape become more attractive? Yes!!!

I bet you most of the girls with those beautiful bodies you envy lift weights, they don't just do endless cardio. Keep track of your workouts and try to make a little progress each time- you won't find the gym boring anymore!!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I find that the more I run, the harder it is to make excuses. If I go a couple of weeks without running I can always find an excuse not to. Whether its running or weightlifting you have to set a routine and stick to it for about two weeks. After that the high starts to kick in and you're hooked. I also get up at 4:30 AM to run so nothing can get in the way. When I start using the Nautilus machines (ski season prep) I go for a three mile warm up run. Stop at the gym for a set and then do a one mile cool down run. I gave up on heavy lifting after shoulder injury and just focus on overall fitness & health.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    What has helped me is setting a goal. I wanted to be able to run 5k, so I started Couch to 5k. Completed that (took 13 weeks instead of the 8 weeks, but I got it done). Then I wanted to improve my time. Started out at about 39 minutes for 5k, yesterday I ran my personal best at 31:36. My next goal is to work up to a 10k. Starting next week I'm going to increase my distance by 0.5 km per week. That will put me at 10k by the end of year. After that I'm thinking a half marathon.

The good thing is you know you're making excuses. Find ways around them. You enjoy swimming, but don't like the chlorine. Many pools now are salt water, instead of chlorine. Constant motivation is hard, but knowing when you're making an excuse and having that motivation to get around those excuses most of the time is what you need.

Good luck on your fitness journey.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    You're probably not going to have "constant" motivation.

yes to this. my two things are lifting and bike commuting, and to tell you the truth i think what got me into it was perversity. 'nobody does' it, so i wanted to. i got sort of fascinated by the idea that if you start out from home with a bike and you keep pedalling, eventually you're going to get to your job. it's inevitable. so that kept me fascinated for a long time because for some reason it seemed so neat.

with lifting, same thing. i just don't function by punishment or 'future rewards'. threaten me and i just get locked down. bribe me and i feel manipulated - even when it's me threatening me and me doing the manipulation. so the only thing that really clicks for me is stuff i want to do right now, for my reasons, because i feel like it.

if i had to make myself go and do anything all the time, i'd be clinically depressed in three months. it just wouldn't work. good luck.

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    If you don't want to leave the house search youtube for workout videos (fitness blender, yoga)