Hello to all who can give advice on loosing the first 10 pounds!!!

Options
Want to sh d 10 pounds.

Replies

• 2048Bit
    2048Bit Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi,

The biggest advice is to do the following:
    • Watch what you eat. Specifically, go light on carbs, sugary foods, and anything that's not natural. Eat protein rich foods which help with hunger. No soda!
    • Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I don't mean go walk on a treadmill, I mean, make it hurt. HIIT training is the best for weight loss, in my humble opinion.

I think the greatest of these is what you eat. My advice would be to not think of it as a diet, but rather a new way of eating.

Good luck on your weight loss!
  • myattminnie
    myattminnie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, I needed those words.
  • 2048Bit
    Options
    My pleasure, you can do it. :D
  • myattminnie
    myattminnie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How long you been doing this?
  • therunningirl
    therunningirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    2048Bit wrote: »
    Hi,

• Watch what you eat. Specifically, go light on carbs, sugary foods, and anything that's not natural. Eat protein rich foods which help with hunger. No soda!
    • Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I don't mean go walk on a treadmill, I mean, make it hurt. HIIT training is the best for weight loss, in my humble opinion.

I think the greatest of these is what you eat. My advice would be to not think of it as a diet, but rather a new way of eating.

Totally agree with your diet tips, but not the exercise. If you start from nothing and start working out 30 mins a day, you are setting yourself up for failure. Especially sth strenuous like HIIT can lead to injury if you overdo it. Make it 3 times a week instead and then slowly increase.
    All depends on your current fitness level, of course.
  • 2048Bit
    Options
    How long you been doing this?

I started last December. I was 318 pounds, now I'm at 229.

Hi,

If you start from nothing and start working out 30 mins a day, you are setting yourself up for failure. Especially sth strenuous like HIIT can lead to injury if you overdo it. Make it 3 times a week instead and then slowly increase.
    All depends on your current fitness level, of course.

This may be good advice depending on your personality. I am a no B.S. personality, so for me it's all in or don't bother. I can only presume that by saying "setting yourself up for failure" you mean 1. injury (which is a legit concern if you don't know yourself), or 2. Get burnt out? Again - only a person can know themselves.

Either way, those both may be legit concerns for some people.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    [*] Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I don't mean go walk on a treadmill, I mean, make it hurt. HIIT training is the best for weight loss, in my humble opinion.

HIIT training for a beginner is a great way to introduce them to crippling DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and make them hate exercise so much they'll never even consider doing it again. It's also a great way for somebody new to exercise to injure themselves and not be able to exercise for weeks/months while they recover from the injury. It would be pretty much like telling a 16-year old who just got their driving permit that they should enter the Indianapolis 500 car race.

More reasonable advice:

* Set up a reasonable caloric deficit using the MFP settings and weigh/log your food. There's no need to exclude foods or entire food groups from your diet - just have a reasonably balanced diet. For weight loss, calories in < calories out is all that matters. There's no such thing as "bad foods", but there is such a thing as a "bad diet". It's all a matter of context.

* If you want to exercise, do something you enjoy and will stick to. If you haven't exercised regularly in the past, start out easy and work your way up. Both cardio and strength training are good things for your health and overall fitness.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would just like to second what Sue and AnvilHead have said--they are both experienced, and won't steer you wrong. Good luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Food type and soda have nothing to do with weight loss, you can eat whatever you choose and still lose weight. Balance and moderation are important in a healthy dietary plan.

Exercise is 100% not necessary to weight loss, and this comes from an avid weight lifter and runner who exercises 6-7 days a week. There is also no reason to "make it hurt," either.

Obviously, these methods have worked best for you, but only because of preference. The things you list have zero to do with weight loss.

OP, if you want to lose 10 pounds, set your goals up to lose a half pound a week, take steps to ensure that you are accurate with calories in/calories out and stick to your deficit and you will lose weight. :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I would just like to second what Sue and AnvilHead have said--they are both experienced, and won't steer you wrong. Good luck.

This^^

OP please listen to the more experienced users who have responded to your post. There is no reason to eliminate or drastically reduce food groups. How much you eat matters far more than what you eat.

Simply becoming more active and finding an exercise that you enjoy is important for your health and sanity. There is no need to be miserable.

Good luck, OP!
  • mariettaortiz42
    mariettaortiz42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

This^^

OP please listen to the more experienced users who have responded to your post. There is no reason to eliminate or drastically reduce food groups. How much you eat matters far more than what you eat.

Simply becoming more active and finding an exercise that you enjoy is important for your health and sanity. There is no need to be miserable.

Good luck, OP!

Water water water.. also chicken,fish,tuna vegetables and don't forget the greens this has helped me so far for the weeks that I don't eat like this I can to gain 2 to 3 pounds. Hope this was helpful.