Wedding Weight Loss

Options
Hey all!

I'm getting married next year, but I'm trying to hit my goal weight as soon as possible. Currently at 132, trying for 120. I've been tracking my calories, working out pretty vigorously four times a week and limiting my alcohol intake. I feel like my progress is really slow, about half a pound per week, despite the fact that I'm eating 1200 calories a day (unless I work out, in which case I eat back about 200 or 300 calories of my 600-800 exercise cals). Does anyone have any advice for kicking up the weight loss? I expected for it to move a little faster than this and I'd like to hit my goal weight by mid-January.

Thanks!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing it right.. but...

Is 1200 calories what MFP gave you when you setup your account to lose .5 pound per week in MFP?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With how little you have to lose, half a pound a week is what you should be aiming for anyway
  • carelessdemaris
    carelessdemaris Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing it right..

Is 1200 calories what MFP gave you when you setup your account to lose .5 pound per week in MFP?

That's what they gave me to lose 2 lbs per week. I'm measuring most everything, but maybe estimating on my sauces is messing me up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options

That's what they gave me to lose 2 lbs per week. I'm measuring most everything, but maybe estimating on my sauces is messing me up?

With as little as you have, 2 lbs is a bit aggressive. Aiming for 1/2 to 1 lbs per week is more ideal. And if you are aiming to look lean in your wedding dress, I hope you are doing some resistance/weight training as it tends to provide much better results in terms of body composition.

ETA: being lean means you have less room for error. If you want to be on point, use a food scale for everything, including sauces.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options

And why with only 12 pounds do you need to do this 2 pounds a week and quite aggressively? In your case faster, quicker, is NOT better.

1200 is the min that MFP gave you according to your stats and does not mean that you will lose 2 pounds.. How tall are you?

Redo your goal to the .5 per week.. eta: weigh all your food intake..
  • pasewaldd
    pasewaldd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you eating some carbs (fruit, rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)? If you are just doing the low fat, try to add a day or two with some of these carbs.

• carelessdemaris
    carelessdemaris Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6". I should say, I realized when I set myself up for the 2 lbs/week goal that I realistically wouldn't lose that much. But if I'm only losing half a pound per week, changing my goals to .5 pounds per week would probably put me in maintenance mode rather than losing, right?

As far as exercise goes, I do lots of weight training and resistance, as well as kickboxing.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'6". I should say, I realized when I set myself up for the 2 lbs/week goal that I realistically wouldn't lose that much. But if I'm only losing half a pound per week, changing my goals to .5 pounds per week would probably put me in maintenance mode rather than losing, right?

As far as exercise goes, I do lots of weight training and resistance, as well as kickboxing.

No it will not put you maintenance.. Change it to .5 and keep doing the kickboxing and weight training and continue to eat back some of the exercise calories.

eta: your BMR is approx 1520, no need to eat below this amount at all. You will lose weight actually if you eat more.. sound counter productive but trust the method along with accurate logging and handling of your exercise calories correctly, you will start to see a downward trend.. A little patience and diligence to method and you will be on your way.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

By weight training, do you mean you follow a structured lifting program, or just random lifts/machines?

In terms of calories, I would start by setting it at .5 and not eat back exercise calories (this will allow for some room for error). If you find yourself losing more than 1lb per week, start eating back some exercise calories.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet... 1200 is the lowest MFP will go. Even though you set it to 2lb/week it is probably no where near that. I would change the goal and notice how your calories change with it.