Being overweight...

Being overweight is really hard! I mean, I used to be thin and people treated me a lot differently. I try to be positive and confident but its really wearing me down. Does anyone feel this way? I am the same person I used to be, but i dont recognize myself in the mirror anymore.
I just need some encouragement.

Replies

• saralind21
    saralind21 Posts: 29 Member
    Being overweight is really hard! I mean, I used to be thin and people treated me a lot differently. I try to be positive and confident but its really wearing me down. Does anyone feel this way? I am the same person I used to be, but i dont recognize myself in the mirror anymore.
    I just need some encouragement.
  • Oo I feel the same way... back in high school I was put on Concerta for ADD... and lost 25 lbs in less than 3 months... so they cut me off, lol. by the end of school and start of college, I had so much confidence because I felt so THIN! (140 at 5'4") I was the thinnest I'd ever been...

I've been on and off the medicine for 2 years... and gained it all back... plus a lot more (175lbs)... and I have DEFINITELY noticed how differently people treat me (the guys at least)... I definitely don't get the same attention that used to... and it was a killer on my self esteem... BUT this was a blessing in disguise for me...

It made me realize how SHALLOW the people that surround us can be... both our friends and strangers and new aquaintances as well... to only thing I like about being overweight (GASP! did I say that???!!!) is that I know people who befriend me like me for who I AM, not what I look like...

The fact that you are able to recognize that you are in fact the same person is a great step, and something that some people don't ever reach... so bravo to that! You're weight doesn't determine WHO you are inside... and if you can see that in the mirror, then good for you! That's all that matters!
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! I weighed 123 all through high school (which yes I admit was 7 years ago) and right after high school I got up to 150. I knew I gained a lot, but I still looked good!

Then somehow or another, I got up to 199! YIKES! It's so hard for me to look at pictures of myself - i just ask myself, is that really me??? When I see my skinny old pictures, I KNOW thats me, but I don't recognize myself these days. It makes me so self-consious -

So my goal is 150 - achievable, right??
    39 lbs to go!!!!!

Email me anytime! apaden4@hotmail.com

Good luck to you!
  • I have been with in the 90th percentile my whole life. All through out school I was one of the tallest in my class. Then Junior High hit, i started getting depressed a little due to change in schools and parents getting divorced. It was downhill after that, hight school came, wasn't so depressed but couldn't seem to get that weight off, I was 196lbs. now just a few over, and definitly not proud. Weight plays a big role in how we feel about ourselves, which is why i am trying to lose 51 or more pounds!
    my goal weight is 156- wish me luck
    and good luck to all of you!
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    when you know what your missing it's hard. I have yo yo ed for years; I'm now at my heaviest. Marriage and being comfortable tends to put on the weight. Not being able to get on a ride with my kids because the seat belt doesn't fit really hurts the ego. I think sometimes it's hard for anyone who is put in a position of not being the so called norm. I decide this time I'm not losing weight for other people and how they see me. This time it's to better my health and quality of life. I want to ride the rides and play in the park with my kids. I know you'll make it! Good luck!
  • When I was in High School I was 5'9" and 190 after I bloomed to 6'2" and 270 My smallest was 220 after high school Met my Girlfriend after marriage and now Like he said comfortable and gaining weight was at 339 after 2 weeks now 324 and still going. Yes people do treat you differently when your overweight. both Women and Men doesnt matter thin women not all but most look at a guy my size and just will not talk to you. So stick to your guns and keep going have fun when you work out. Watching calories suck I know but after a while you will have it down to a science heck you wont even need the counter.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    bigdane321,

And to all of us.....I set my goal at 37 pounds. I have planned a trip for May 11 that will help me fulfill a lifelong dream - to swim with wild dolphins. This is my PRIZE at the end of this weight loss. I figure it is 33 weeks from now. I've lost 8.5 pounds. I just need to lose one pound per week to be in swimming suit shape. And to have the stamina to swim for hours in the "gin-clear" waters of the Caribbean. It is an expensive trip, and well worth it.

Dane, how about you set a goal, buy a season's pass to your local favorite Amusement Park for next summer (with the biggest baddest roller coaster) - or plan a family trip for next summer to a park you would all love to go to - dream BIG! Busch Gardens, or Six Flags, or Kings Island, Cedar Point, somewhere with wicked rides!! That will motivate you. Here's your link ......>>wink<< to ROLLER COASTERS 10 BEST.

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~hulme/topcoast.html

I think of the dolphins and the bathing suit every day.

~Cheryl
  • saralind21
    Thanks for all the support. Feeling alone can make being overweight even harder. So its nice to know that there are people out there in the same boat : )
  • saralind21
    Kate40in3,
    I have also come to realize how superficial most people are-through gaining weight. I realized that I don't want attention if it just going to be fake. So yeah, I agree with you on gaining weight being a blessing in disguise. Good Luck to you!
  • bigdane321
    cmriverside

Not a bad idea cedar point sounds great. I'm sure your dream to swim with flipper will come true.
    PS I started my life change on September 5th,07 and I have lost a total of 17 lbs. Nothing can stop me now. Can you hear the slow ratchet of the roller coaster I can!
    Thanks for the encouragement
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    bigdane321,

Great job, not-as-big-dane321 >>wink<<

Yeah, you can almost hear it : chk-a-ch-chk-a-ch-chk-a-ch! I've been to Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, had a season pass to King's Island. Cedar Point has so many great coasters. I was born in western Pennsylvania, and loved that park. I now live in the Northwest, and there are few opportunities for coaster rides close by.

I applied for my passport yesterday for the dolphin adventure (never needed one before for the Bahamas - I grew up in Florida. Geez - you could swim to Bimini from Florida) and I bought some sandals - cuz I don't think my feet will get smaller.

Keep it up!
  • BIG DANE WHERE ARE YOU FROM I'M FROM OHIO I LIVE IN OHIO ALSO jUST A NOTE OF ENCOURAGEMENT I'VE BEEN ON HERE SINCE AUG.28 TO DATE 37POUND LOSS
  • bigdane321
    Spoon1

Wow thats incredible. That is August of 07 right? How are you doing it? I can only hope thats me at the end of October. I live in sunny, CA Long Beach. I have a friend who lives in Springfield Ohio. Let me know the details.
  • HI BIGDANE...I CAN RELATE TO THE HURT EGO WHEN YOU JUST CAN'T DO THING'S WITH YOUR CHILDREN,,AND TO HEAR THE COMMENTS FROM OTHER'S DON'T HELP MUCH. I JUST STARTED MY LIFE CHANGE THIS MONTH AND I AM DOING IT WITH A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE THAT NOW LIVE'S IN MISSISSIPPI, WE TALK DAILY AND ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER TO DO WELL.
    EVEN THOA I LIVE IN OHIO AND SHE LIVE'S THERE WE ARE STILL DOING THE BUDDY THING, WE ARE PLANNING TO SEE EACH OTHER WHEN SHE COME'S HOME FOR CHRISTMAS, AND SHARE OUR NEW GOOD LOOK'S!!!! AND DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY................
  • Bigdane yea that 07 but I guess when you start out at 358 it comes off easy at first also did checking on the web and have been eating alot of salad watermelon ect..Do a search for fat burning foods that is what I have been eating alot of, plus they are suprisingly filling.I seen you talked about cedar point that is why I wounder where you was from. Good Luck and happy weight loss.
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    I understand this too! I am 5"3 and 162...I just started this program but I look at pics from even just a few years ago and I look sooo cute! And could wear sooo many clothes! I think even 20 pounds would make a word of difference. Also, sometimes, I look in the mirror and think, not too bad! But looking at pics!?!?!?! UGH. Thats how I know its TIME.