Protein bars, good or bad?

Options
Juleabel
Juleabel Posts: 5 Member
I need good healthy snacks to grab for on the go. I know protein bars can make you feel satisfied but are high in calories and sugar.

I tried a couple recipes tonight but when I put them in the recipe builder they didn't turn out as healthy as I expected.

Any suggestions, ideas, or recipes??

Replies

• mar_pow
    mar_pow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try making fig bars they are really easy and good for on the go. It's literally blended figs, almonds and what ever else you want!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Do you need more protein? If not then there is no point eating them. Eat whatever snack fits your macronutrient and calorie goals.
  • anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will eat one for a quick breakfast, but never as a snack. Too many calories.
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    not unless i need more protein. TMI - they lead to constipation for me. i've realized that almost no snacks or processed foods work well in my body and they make me feel pretty bad. whole foods are a good alternative but you can also try protein powder or drinks.
  • mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Quest bars taste good usually only 1gm sugar maybe 7gm fat. It's a tasty option
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've been doing just fine without them for months.

To be honest, bars like Kind or Nature Valley protein bars are more filling to me because they have more fat.
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Quest. Try Quest bars, they are new. Less than one gram of sugar, protein bar. They are very good too!!
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I only eat them to boost my protein. Other than that I don't see the point in eating them.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    mccormf1 wrote: »
    Quest bars taste good usually only 1gm sugar maybe 7gm fat. It's a tasty option

Tried cinnamon bun or whatever and thought it was gross (not cheap either)....what's a good flavor?
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    Quest. Try Quest bars, they are new. Less than one gram of sugar, protein bar. They are very good too!!

what are the best flavors taste-wise?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've never had a protein bar...I do eat Cliff Bars from time to time...usually when I'm hiking or something. As for being good or bad, matters of nutrition really aren't that black and white and you need to look at your diet as a whole to determine "good or bad"
  • TexanCowboy
    TexanCowboy Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Have you tried Square Bars? Now they aren't high in protein but the fats and carbs go a long way in hitting satiety.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    They aren't "bad" for you, as nothing is really bad for you if it's in moderation and fits with your diet plans. Personally my breakfast generally consists of a fiber one protein bar and small protein shake for a quick on the go meal. I'm not a morning person and inevitably if I try to cook something I run myself late. Both combined come out to be about 250 calories, which I think for most people is a light breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic snack I figured out half a bar was just about perfect, macro-wise. My home made bars come out to about 4 G protein each. Any more protein and it has trouble holding together or it gets bitter.

Sugar is a very handy binder for the bars.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/142265/nanas-energy-bar.html
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I heard good things about qwest bars so I ordered a variety box and I honestly didn't care for any of them. Kirkland signature makes ones that I do like. They are on par with qwest nutrition wise but better IMO and much cheaper. $17.99 for a box of 20. The only thing that sucks is there are only 2 flavors, I'd like more variety.

I like them because they are quick, easy to grab, keep you full for awhile and help me hit my protein goal
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I actually really enjoy Clif Builder peanut butter chocolate bars. As far as making your own, Chocolate Covered Katie has some recipes that are pretty good: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/08/fudge-brownie-chocolate-protein-bars/
  • Klylng
    Klylng Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    rx bars
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are my fave. Love the blueberry yogurt as well as the strawberry yogurt ones. 20g protein, 4g sugar, 190 calories. For me no nasty after taste. I'll keep one in my purse for when I'm out and can't grab a meal.