No weight loss, but here's why I'm celebrating.

Options
GoldenOctober
GoldenOctober Posts: 24 Member
edited October 2016 in Success Stories
I love reading success stories. I love seeing before and after pictures. I didn't particularly like taking my befores (who does really?), but it's easier thinking that in just a few months' time, you'll look gorgeous. People you haven't seen in a while will compliment you on your looks, something that has never happened before. Or has not happened since you were a sweet 18-year-old or whatever. Just stick to all the good tips you've accumulated on the internet (drink water, eat clean, work out, sleep, repeat), and wait for the inevitable to happen.
(Okay, "gorgeous" may be a bit exaggerated, but it is MY fantasy after all, right?)

I think it's clear from the above that there's a little shallow person inside me. Yes, yes, I'll admit it. I am all for inner beauty and cherishing everything you have right this moment, but every once in a while I will stop and think, "Huh, I wonder what it would be like to look really hot."
There, I said it.

But I will also say that from the start I had a second motivation, which is being a workout beast. Just killing it every time I compete with my last workout's self. Making myself proud for this tiny moment when you push yourself just that little bit farther.
That's the good thing about having a tendency to be hard on yourself, which usually is a bad trait because it keeps you from fully enjoying things in life: You can turn it around and use it in your advantage when you stop kicking yourself for not doing the work, but actually kicking it up a notch when doing the work.

Summing up my motivation for changing my lifestyle: wanting to look and feel good, becoming a workout beast (I actually like the term, yeah).

Usually I am the all-or-nothing type, which I knooooow is not always too helpful. If you're trying hard to change all at once, there's a good chance you'll break it off from exhausting yourself at some point.
So this time I was going to be smarter about it. Be easy on myself. Try to eat well, but mainly focus on building a workout routine. Start with one thing and let the rest sort of follow …

I am proud to say that I have been consistently working out for the past four months. And I don't want to pat myself too early on the back, but I have a good feeling about keeping this up. I will tell you the reasons in just a minute, but first let me tell you what the title already revealed: I have lost no weight whatsoever.
I HAVE noticed changes in my body because my workout consists of strength training, bodyweight training to be exact, so I can definitely see definition in muscles I sort of forgot I had. I've also pretty much become the workout beast I've envisioned.
Now what about that clean eating? The losing weight part? The looking gorgeous goal?

Well.

I have been trying to eat better, and I think I am. The thing is though that cutting calories just seemed really hard. I had done that before (and lost and kept off a bunch of weight), but my workouts were a bit easier on myself back then. I think? Either way, I felt hungry a lot this time, so I was like, "Okay, let's be real: If it's this hard, there's a chance you will give up at some point."
And I really didn't want to let that happen. I love my changing body! I love the extra energy I have! The positive outlook that I've always had but that is now translating to other people, which feels exceptionally awesome. I love taking two steps at a time when climbing the stairs to my fourth-floor office. I love that riding my bike to work is not considered a workout for me anymore, just like when I was a teenager and it was second nature, simply a means of transportation, not a way to justify eating a piece of cake in the afternoon because I had burned off those calories. I want to be an active person who doesn't even think about it anymore because it's "just who I am".

I am in a very good place right now, and I want to now focus more on eating clean, listening to what my body needs, eating less calories overall. I still have that goal mentioned above. That hasn't changed.

The reason I'm writing this thing right here is that if you'd told me four months ago that I would not lose any weight in the months to follow, I possibly would have given up right then and there. And I want to tell all you lovely people just starting out or restarting or taking a look at your progress or envisioning your future progress … that working out is sooooo much more than a way to lose those pounds more quickly. It has benefits that will make you forget your primary vain goal of turning heads and have someone whistle as you walk by a construction site. (Does that really happen or is it just a myth? I do wonder.)

I am not the most successful story on here. The one you'll remember in a week or maybe even tomorrow. I am not the one to ask for advice. I am just about average as far as what I've accomplished so far. I'd say?
Not a sexy story to tell or listen to. But maybe, just maybe there's one person here who reads this and is grateful for feeling like there's room for success to the ones who can't do it all at once. Change their attitude magically over night. That there's beauty in not losing weight in four months (I have lost fat and gained muscle, I can tell, but that's on a side note.)

Now everyone, keep up the good work! Or the medium work. Whatever level you are on on your journey right now.

Thanks for reading. :)

Replies

• pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    FYI, gorgeous is just right. I have the same fantasy :)

You go girl! I'm completely feeling you on this one.
  • GoldenOctober
    Options
    Thank you! And keep up that fantasy! :)
  • lcdoglover
    lcdoglover Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Awesome! These are my current goals too! And it feels good to be loving and listening to myself rather than putting myself through a painful process again.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,929 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome story! and a great feeling. And you know what? The goal should NOT be losing "weight" and it SHOULD be losing FAT. Which you're doing. Slowly? possibly. Unusual to recomp at a higher weight? maybe. Anything wrong with it? NOPE. Well done!
  • GoldenOctober
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Feels good to get positive feedback. :)
    Now I'm curious to see where I'll progress to in the future. No pressure, but with a focus. Seems to work for me.

The best to all of you on your journeys! :)
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Your mantra: The journey IS the Success. The Process IS the victory.
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Your story is just what I needed to read today. My commitment has been waivering as of late due to added stress at work and an abrupt stagnation on the scale. This story helps remind me that I HAVE been crushing it with every morning workout, even increasing my mileage and disregarding the rain not wanting to miss a workout. And I feel great.

I'll admit one of my big motivators is the desire to shock my family when I see them again in December. But I need to let that go. Having energy and being healthy is far more important than a dramatic homecoming. Thank you for sharing! Keep it up!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I loved this. Congrats that you kept pushing through. I think we all have those times were we only give it a "medium effort," and that's okay. I gave it a medium effort for the last 3 months. I back at it now, but not giving up entirely is the win. My sincerest best wishes for a successful future.
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration! Just what I needed to hear!
  • GoldenOctober
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I am so glad to have reached some of you with my post. :)

I believe keeping at it and not letting your "medium effort times" (which I'm certain we all go through at some point) ruin your perspective on the entire journey is what really, truly matters.
    I am prone to thinking, "Oh, this meal was good, but must have been a million calories. Guess I'll let today slide." ... and then I wake up the next morning feeling not too awesome because I overate not only at lunch but also at dinner, which might lead to making poor choices for breakfast (emotional eater, anyone?!). Thinking about it now makes me feel really stupid because this pattern is just stupid, but the key to ending it is to not be too hard on myself. If I feel I need to punish myself, I have this rebellious side emerging that wants to do the exact opposite of what I "should" do.

It is all very much a learning process. I read something the other day about how when you "restart" your efforts after a break, you're not restarting at zero. Because you actually learn something from every step of the way. You have at some point gained knowledge about how to eat better or work out hard, and you know what moments make you feel weak. You know how to get back on track even. That's very comforting. You can never fall back to zero. It's a thought that really helps me.
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I'm a year in to doing "eat more to weigh less" (with lots of lifting). It's quite difficult for me to lose weight because - well I don't know why - thyroid, age.... - but I have been reshaping - clothes getting looser and people commenting. More importantly, I feel so strong and that is priceless. Thanks for the post!
  • Mermaidtriathlete
    Mermaidtriathlete Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this- in fact I searched "no weight loss first week" I've been eating smart, tracking calories etc. it's hard not to be discouraged. I work out 5 times a week for 1 1/2-2 hours a morning , I have always been good about that. I've had no weight loss at all my first week. I'm going to take a look at my snacks and change those. I've been eating s 170 cal protein bar daily. I've mostly stayed way under the calories daily. I'm simply trying to lose just 1 pound a week. I had a non scale victory though- my pants weren't strangling me! I'm not giving up. I'm gonna shake it up!!
    Thank you for your great post!
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - it's a message worth remembering. I need to get my mindset right, this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!