No weight Loss!

Options
Hi
So ive been working out since January the Gym and at home dvds,
My weight has not changed at all, But Im gaining muscle in my arms and legs i can feel it through my fat and see the definition talking place,
should i be worried that my scales are not moving?

Replies

• sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? Sometimes I don't see the weight loss but have lost inches instead. I have a love/hate relationship with the scale and only step on once a week.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You say you are exercising, are you also monitoring the number of calories you eat diligently and accurately?
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You may just be trading fat for muscle. Take measurements.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You won't lose if you aren't in a calorie deficit. Sorry!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My weight has not changed at all, But Im gaining muscle in my arms and legs i can feel it through my fat and see the definition talking place,

That is a long time to have worked out without the scales moving if you are trying to lose weight. I'm assuming you aren't tracking your calories because you didn't mention that you've been doing so.

I started working out, thinking I could just exercise without worrying about my diet. Boy was I WRONG! After 2 1/2 weeks, I gained 2 lbs, and no it was not muscle. I was simply eating too much for my age and activity level. I did some online research to see why I wasn't losing weight and discovered I was probably eating too much. So, I decided I'd start using MFP the next day to track my calories.

I was probably eating 2,000+ calories a day...even though some food was healthy. No wonder I had gained so much weight over the years!! In order to lose weight, for my age and body type, I had to stay between 1,200 to 1,300 calories a day. The 1st week was really tough, but I stuck to it, and the weight literally started falling off. I lost 30 lbs in 90 days. I hit my goal weight in March of this year, and have maintained it ever since with small fluctuations when I've had to travel extensively. I'm not in the best shape of my life and I just wish I started this15 years ago!! My body looks better and I'm more fit than when I was in my 20s.

If you want to lose weight, you've got to adjust your diet, and the only way to make sure you are doing it right is to track everything you eat and eat in calorie deficit.
  • flipflopfridays6071
    Options
    I can speak from experience. Since February when I started working out 4-5 days a week and minding what I ate, I've gained 2 pounds but have lost a total of 12 inches and dropped 2.5% BF. I comfortably wear a size 2 or 4 (US) where I was uncomfortably squeezing into a size 8 ten months ago. I'm proof that muscle weighs more than fat.

I'm one of the few ladies on the planet that doesn't really care what I weigh, when I'm making the right food and lifestyle choices. I focus more on being healthy, how my body and mind feels, and how I look in the mirror. Have you noticed clothes fitting looser? Stay focused on being healthy and not being too obsessive about the scale.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I can speak from experience. Since February when I started working out 4-5 days a week and minding what I ate, I've gained 2 pounds but have lost a total of 12 inches and dropped 2.5% BF. I comfortably wear a size 2 or 4 (US) where I was uncomfortably squeezing into a size 8 ten months ago. I'm proof that muscle weighs more than fat.

I'm one of the few ladies on the planet that doesn't really care what I weigh, when I'm making the right food and lifestyle choices. I focus more on being healthy, how my body and mind feels, and how I look in the mirror. Have you noticed clothes fitting looser? Stay focused on being healthy and not being too obsessive about the scale.

more than likely you are recomping....

are you weighing your food and strictly logging everything?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi

what does your work out regimen consist of?

are you tracking your intake and making sure that you are in a calorie deficit?
  • quinngetsshredded
    quinngetsshredded Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are, and how much you currently weigh.

If you're not significantly overweight but above your 'comfort zone', I wouldn't worry about it too much– but maybe start tracking your calories for a little bit just to get an idea how much you're eating on a daily basis.