Any ladies ever try waist training?

Options
KarlyHK
KarlyHK Posts: 114 Member
What are your thoughts? Results?

Part of me says "your organs aren't suppose to be squished like that!" But then I see some "results" (who knows if they are real results or photoshop etc) and think "huh maybe that does work?"

I hear some ladies wear them when working out. Others wear them around the house?

I am 5'2". 117.9lbs.
Not really looking to lose much more weight. Just wondering about other people's experience.

Did it help you lose weight? Or did it just shape your waist/hips? Did it even do anything?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    They can fracture ribs & thus cause organ damage + obstruct breathing! You're unable to spot reduce, so everything'll return to where it was; once removed! It won't help you lose weight! It's sort of like taking money out of your checking account & putting it into your savings account! You'll still have all of the money but it's just transferred!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    There are skinny people in hospitals wishing to be healthy even if it means gaining weight.

I think waist training is exchanging your health for your vanity.

Back in the old days women would faint because they couldn't breathe because of their corset. Shortness of breath and fainting is reported for the modern day waist trainers.

Bruised or broken ribs is also an issue for some corset wearers.

• KarlyHK
    KarlyHK Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Totally get what you guys are saying. And I agree. Like I said in my original post. Organs and bones are positioned a certain way for a reason.

What I'm talking about more is he stretchy "corset like" trainers. Not actual corsets with steel bowing and stuff. Those should be used for costumes and sexy time haha.

I have just seen so many pictures and stuff of women in waist trainers working out. Was wondering everyone else's thoughts on them.
    Are they suppose to make you sweat more in the belly area, therefore making people think they lose more weight there?
    I dont know what the hype about them is so I was just curious if people had actually used that as a weightloss or body manipulating method.

Just all the curiosity in the world going through this mind ha
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    KarlyHK wrote: »
    Totally get what you guys are saying. And I agree. Like I said in my original post. Organs and bones are positioned a certain way for a reason.

What I'm talking about more is he stretchy "corset like" trainers. Not actual corsets with steel bowing and stuff. Those should be used for costumes and sexy time haha.

I have just seen so many pictures and stuff of women in waist trainers working out. Was wondering everyone else's thoughts on them.
    Are they suppose to make you sweat more in the belly area, therefore making people think they lose more weight there?
    I dont know what the hype about them is so I was just curious if people had actually used that as a weightloss or body manipulating method.

The modern trainers're exactly what I was referencing, there all dangerous; regardless of material because the purpose remains the same, so no they shouldn't even be used for costumes and/or sexy time!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    KarlyHK wrote: »

A they don't work like the way they claim them to. Plus I would rather be able to breath when I work out. There was a study a while back saying that they actually make people lose some of their stomach muscles by not allowing you to tighten your core while doing you workout and limiting your movements.
  • Tr4pQueen
    Tr4pQueen Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hell no
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Tried it, hated it.. my waist actually got an inch bigger

Ok first of.. it's stupid but here's what's gonna happen if you try it

1. It will steal your core strength - And if you workout wearing it, it will do most of the core workouts for you, planks will be way to easy cause the waist trainer will be doing the hold.. so you're not gonna get any abs or a beautiful toned tummy
    2. As soon as you stop wearing it, your waist will go back to normal pretty quickly
    3. If you get a waist trainer that's actually tight enough to alter your rib bones and organs you're putting yourself in a lot of danger. It can effect your breathing, make you faint and bruise/break your ribs.

I wore one for a week, just to see what the fuss was about.. When I started it my measurement where 34-25-34but for some reason I got bigger around the waist after wearing it and ended up as 35-26-34.. took about 2 weeks to get my 25 inch waist back and I truly hated wearing it.

Just do a lot of core instead of waisting money on something that's just a marketing thing.
  • Nemis07
    Nemis07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use latex waist cincher. My waist has actually gotten smaller (an inch). It's comfortable, helps with my posture, and gives me a better shape. It redistributes fat to your *kitten*. It definitely makes me sweat more. Doesn't inhibit my breathing and isn't tight like an actual waist trainer where it would mess up my organs. I think it's helping me. The compression helps reduce my food intake. I like it. I wouldn't recommend a steel boned trainer/corset. Even if it doesn't actually work, I feel better about myself, I look better when I wear it, and it definitely gives my girls a push-up, even in the crappiest of bras.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nemis07 wrote: »
    I use latex waist cincher. My waist has actually gotten smaller (an inch). It's comfortable, helps with my posture, and gives me a better shape. It redistributes fat to your *kitten*. It definitely makes me sweat more. Doesn't inhibit my breathing and isn't tight like an actual waist trainer where it would mess up my organs. I think it's helping me. The compression helps reduce my food intake. I like it. I wouldn't recommend a steel boned trainer/corset. Even if it doesn't actually work, I feel better about myself, I look better when I wear it, and it definitely gives my girls a push-up, even in the crappiest of bras.

However you're losing, your core strength, meaning your stomach muscles'll become flabby due to muscle wasting & thus'll eventually look like fat. I thought that that the point of wearing such a thing, was to look better; not worse? This is what happens to astronauts in space, a lack of gravity, prevents the muscles; from having a purpose & thus they'll become useless globs, if they stay; in that environment extensively!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Because this looks totally normal and pain free (wherever her internal organs ended up):

sck4z249dlwd.jpg
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ive heard those are really bad for you, but have seen celebrities wear them.

https://royallioness.com/13-celebrities-who-swear-by-waist-training-results/

Ive also seen people say that it's hard to get the right size one online too.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the logic behind people using weist trainers has come from companies claiming that you're able to essentially 'spot reduce' - other than being a waste of money, they (1) don't work - spot reduction is a myth and utterly impossible (2) are dangerous- other than the reasons mentioned already, take the material they're made from into consideration.
    They cause your body temperature to rise due to lack of good ventilation, trapping your sweat and essentially dehydrating you.

The people claiming good results are usually paid by the company to say that.

There's no substitute for watching calories and good balanced workout sessions!
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go crazy with it, you'll be fine.