Weighing food

Options
So in about an hour I'm getting a food scale (yaaay) cuz I realized I am way under estimating my good and calories and am losing slower than what I thought and I was wondering would I weigh food like cereal? Or just go by cups? And what about a frozen burger patty or just go with "350 calories for one patty"

I want to lose 11 more pounds before I try for a second baby.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weigh it all.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Weigh all solids, measure all liquids.
  • sarahgonzo21
    sarahgonzo21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im going to buy a food scale too however how do we measure yogurt on the scale without weighing the cup as well?
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    for things like already packaged yogurt it should tell you how many calories and how much weight is in that cup right on the package. If you have a big yogurt that you're putting it into your own cup/bowl, put the cup/bowl on teh scale, zero it out, then add your yogurt
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    zilkah wrote: »
    for things like already packaged yogurt it should tell you how many calories and how much weight is in that cup right on the package. If you have a big yogurt that you're putting it into your own cup/bowl, put the cup/bowl on teh scale, zero it out, then add your yogurt

I did it that way until I realized I could put the container (yogurt, peanut butter, etc.) on the scale, tare it, then spoon out the weight I wanted until the scale showed the negative amount, such as -16g for a tablespoon of peanut butter. Bonus that you get to lick the spoon and not worry about any extra Calories.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything that can be weighed. Even peanut butter and salad dressing have servings listed in grams on the package. Just because a package says that the items within it are a "serving" of a specific weight doesn't mean they are. The weight is the serving, the individual items might weigh more or less than that. It's always a good idea to weigh these things.

The tare function will be very important. You can always put a container on the scale and then turn it on. That will factor out the weight of the container and start you at zero. Add one ingredient, note the weight and hit tare. Add a second ingredient, note the weight and hit tare. And so on.

When making something like a PB&J sandwich I weigh the bread, enter it into MFP. Remove the second slice of bread. Hit the tare button. Add peanut butter to the correct weight. Spread the peanut butter. Note that in MFP. Hit the tare button. Add jelly to the correct weight and spread it. Note the weight in MFP and then eat my sandwich.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Weigh everything that can be weighed. Even peanut butter and salad dressing have servings listed in grams on the package. Just because a package says that the items within it are a "serving" of a specific weight doesn't mean they are. The weight is the serving, the individual items might weigh more or less than that. It's always a good idea to weigh these things.

The tare function will be very important. You can always put a container on the scale and then turn it on. That will factor out the weight of the container and start you at zero. Add one ingredient, note the weight and hit tare. Add a second ingredient, note the weight and hit tare. And so on.

When making something like a PB&J sandwich I weigh the bread, enter it into MFP. Remove the second slice of bread. Hit the tare button. Add peanut butter to the correct weight. Spread the peanut butter. Note that in MFP. Hit the tare button. Add jelly to the correct weight and spread it. Note the weight in MFP and then eat my sandwich.

Awesome! Thanks! I'm very excited for this :smiley:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

I did it that way until I realized I could put the container (yogurt, peanut butter, etc.) on the scale, tare it, then spoon out the weight I wanted until the scale showed the negative amount, such as -16g for a tablespoon of peanut butter. Bonus that you get to lick the spoon and not worry about any extra Calories.

I started doing that with my tub of Greek yogurt. SO much easier than the other way around!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    With stuff like single serving yogurt cups, I either weigh it while the container is full and then weigh the container after and subtract, OR just use the numbers on the container.

With cereal, I never use cup measures. Always put the bowl on the scale, TARE it out and then add the designated amount of cereal. Cereal is one of those high-cal things I don't want to guess with. Well, I don't use cup measures for much of anything, honestly. No real benefit to that - it just dirties another vessel and isn't accurate. Lose/lose. :lol:
  • babypunkprincess
    Options

I started doing that with my tub of Greek yogurt. SO much easier than the other way around!

Great advice!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Weighing saves on dirty dishes. You can measure right into the eating dish or plate without dirtying a measuring cup.
  • babypunkprincess
    Options

Great advice!

This works for my big tub of sugar for my coffee too! So easy :smile: