Since I started tracking my food I have learned...

Options
...that a single portion size of cheese is not worth the 120-some odd calories.

That's one thing among many. Have you learned something shocking, interesting, amusing, etc. about a favorite or go-to food?

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm not so much worried about the calories as I am the sodium in cheese. I always have enough calories for some good cheesy lovliness. But Holy salty goatscrew, Batman!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Wow how big was that portion of cheese? A mini babybel or dairylea/ laughing cow triangle comes in well under those cals! Plus the protein is worth it.

I found that a glass of fruit juice is too high in sugar and cals for my food plan.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT bad for you. Eating whole grains are necessary for good digestion.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    Coffee (with cream and sugar) has so many calories and fat in it. I'm a coffee addict and drink several cups a day. It wasn't until I joined MFP that I realized I can reach 1200 cals a day in coffee alone.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    LOL. Fun and smartpost!

I have learned that the only food more deceiving than cheese is hummus! Seriously, why even eat just two tablespoons? ;)
  • andreaashell
    andreaashell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That I tend to eat more for my evening snacks than I do for my other real meals throughout the day.... could be a good reason that my metabolism is so out of whack!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Cheese...most definitely. Also, someone already took juice. (V8 w/ Green Tea is only 50 cals). Greek yogurt...a WHOPPING 190 cals...think I'll pass.
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have learned that I've NEVER EVER eaten a single serving of cereal -- 1/2 cup. . WTH? No thanks, not worth it. I won't even buy it anymore.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Maple Syrup is NOT worth the 200 calories in 1/4 cup! I've since found sugar free versions :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Just because it's in the healthy food section doesn't mean it's the best choice.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    For me it was once I got my food scale I learned that I can eat WAY more then I thought by just guessing!
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a garnish not half of my dinner plate. I was drinking very little water and the importance of calories in and Out
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How much sugar is in things and that sweetcorn is higher in calories that i ever though!!!!!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have learned that sugar and salt are the devil, and WATER is my friend!

Michelle
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When hungry, grilled chicken is lots of protein and good volume for low calories, but if im hungry you cant eat too much broccoli
    :)
  • devildogmom
    Options
    I have learned that whoever buys the groceries in my house does NOT eat healthy at all ...
    Junk Junk Junk...
    ( he just ate 2 chili dogs.. I fed them into the calorie bank here.. heh.. I didnt eat them thank god )
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For me it was once I got my food scale I learned that I can eat WAY more then I thought by just guessing!

I never knew what a normal sized bowl of cereal looked like until i started weighing!!!!!! Doubt it would fill a hamster!!!
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That I was seriously underestimating the caloric value of the olive oil I used to dress and cook everything. (I'm originally from one of those hot places in the Eastern Med. Olive oil is basically a food group to us.)

I've switched to hemp oil for cooking, incidentally. Not only is is delicious and lower calorie, but a teaspoon seems to go further when it comes to greasing pans.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Yeah (sniffle), cheese is at the top of my list of things that are too "expensive" to eat much of. And butter of course, but I'm surviving okay with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light for most things.

I don't go to the movies much anymore cuz I MUST have popcorn and it's not worth starving all day for, so I just go on the occasional cheat day. But that's exactly WHY I have cheat days, cuz I can't stand the thought of missing out on my faves forever. A gal's gotta live, right?!
  • theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What 2oz of pasta looks like and the amount of cals in it (210) *sad*