Macros on point..?

Options
If I stay within my caloric defecit, but my macros are not on point, is that ok? I usually try to get everything in line together, but I wanted wine last night lol so my fat in my macros was over my alloted percentile, but i was still under caloric budget.

Is it important to keep my macros on point as well as stay within my budget?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If I stay within my caloric defecit, but my macros are not on point, is that ok? I usually try to get everything in line together, but I wanted wine last night lol so my fat in my macros was over my alloted percentile, but i was still under caloric budget.

Is it important to keep my macros on point as well as stay within my budget?

Generally speaking:

It's important not to let dietary fat get too low for an extended period of time due to the existence of essential fatty acids (fatty acids that must be obtained by the diet). However this threshold is quite low and almost everybody exceeds it. But it's worth noting for completeness.

It's important not to let protein get too low especially when dieting because when you're in a calorie deficit, protein oxidation will increase to meet fuel demands which means less of the protein you eat will be available to meet amino acid needs. This can cause small amounts of muscle loss in some circumstances.

Carbohydrates are primarily used for fuel, and so you need to eat enough of those to have productive training sessions and enough satiety to stick to your diet.

The basic take home is this though, as far as I see it: As long as you're not doing anything ridiculous with your macronutrients, like going ridiculously low for an extended period of time (ketogenic diets being the potential exception) you're quite likely fine.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    There is Fat in wine? Just make sure you get enough Fat and enough protein

Fat.4 times body weight
    Protein .5 to .8 gram per lean body pound and depending on training goals
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Fat.4 times body weight

Thank you.

Yes when I logged it my fat went up, I'm assuming sugar? Or is sugar carbs?

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    There's no fat in wine. All carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Fat.4 times body weight

Thank you.

Yes when I logged it my fat went up, I'm assuming sugar? Or is sugar carbs?

no, that's an erroneous entry...there is no dietary fat in wine...sugar is a subset of carbohydrates...wine is all carbs.
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wine doesn't have fat in it and it does have carbs, but let's not forget the fourth type of "nutrient" that we can actually take up energy from - alcohol. Which wine does contain a fair amount of ;) if I remember correctly, 100% alcohol contains 7 dietary calories per gram. Otherwise clear liquors like vodka wouldn't have any calories (which would be nice, I'll admit lol).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein and fat most of the time. Going over is ok.
    Carbs can be under or over.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If your goal is just to lose weight, then the number you should be most concerned with is your overall calorie number. Weight loss = Calories In < Calories Out
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    It depends on your goals. If your goal is just to lose weight, then the number you should be most concerned with is your overall calorie number. Weight loss = Calories In < Calories Out

Although true-the kind of weight your losing might make you think twice about JUST losing weight. Personally if I could lose more fat than Muscle I would be much happier which is why Macro's and Lifting weights is so important to goals not just Calorie in vs Calorie out.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Although true-the kind of weight your losing might make you think twice about JUST losing weight. Personally if I could lose more fat than Muscle I would be much happier which is why Macro's and Lifting weights is so important to goals not just Calorie in vs Calorie out.

I agree completely.