Outbreaks from supplements?

Options
I know not everyone is for supplements such as protein powders, protein bars, fat burners etc but I find they complement my regular diet well when I need something quick. I recently bought a whole bunch of different kinds and today I noticed some sort of outbreak on my chest, probably not acne but something similar just smaller spots. I know I used to get this when I used meal replacements back in like 2011 but as that's not what I'm having now I'm just wondering if it could still be the cause. I realize you can't possibly know, but has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    never had an issue,but stop taking it for awhile and see if it clears up then try again. if it happens again then there is something you are possibly allergic too. oh and fat burners do not work,protein powders and bars are good to supplement your protein intake if you dont get enough from food,or if on the go. but it could be some of the ingredients in everything are interacting with one another.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If milk products don't cause it for you, then it's likely not the whey. However, many protein powders, in order to keep the calories down, use artificial sweeteners. It may take you time but I'd have to agree with @CharlieBeansmomTracey stop them for a while and add them back in one at a time for a week at a time to see what is causing it. You could also see a doctor and get an allergy test done. Allergies start with rashes, then can end up with respiratory problems so be careful!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I know supps like oxyshred have those side effects.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That sounds like it could be some sort of allergic reaction. Are the spots itchy, too? You might try some Benadryl and see if they don't clear up. If you want to try to isolate it eat all of the same kind of food until it is gone and then try another. Don't switch back and forth. Watch for a reaction. If it happens again you'll now know what it is and can possibly isolate the ingredient you're allergic to.
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I should probably do that, thanks for your advice. It doesn't hurt or itch or anything, they look like tiny little zits but maybe that still doesn't rule out the allergy option. And about the fat burners, I know they don't burn the fat away per se but the do increase my energy level more than any amount of coffee can ever do, which in turn increases my activity level, so I figured why not. But I'll stop taking them for a while. It just sucks because I spent like $150 the past week on this stuff haha. Which in and of itself is sheer idiocy, so maybe it's a lesson I needed to learn lmao. Thank you guys!
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't try Benadryl since I live in Sweden and there hasn't been a single product with its active substance available here since April first, 1971 (I just googled, haha). Back then we actually had that Benadryl cream. But since it doesn't itch it probably wouldn't help anyway :( but thanks for your input! I think I might stop all supplements except whey, which I don't think I ever had a problem with, and when the outbreak is (hopefully) gone I'll just reintroduce them one by one and hopefully discover which one I have a problem with :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    get some hydrocortisone cream and see if that helps. if not see a dr and they can prescribe something for it if it doesnt go away
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Two supplements make me break out. Mens Daily Vitamins, something in that will make my breakout if I take them every day. At about the one week to two week mark I get very bad Acne. Additionally, biotin makes me break out at about the five day mark. (For the Mens Daily Vitamin, it could be the biotin in it causing my breakout.)