Bulk or Cut?

Options
Wondering if I should continue bulking through the winter, then cut in early spring for summer, or cut (or mini cut) sooner.

I’m 5’10”, currently about 184 pounds. I’m relatively new to fitness, at least at this level. I’ve always been active & at a good weight. I am 56 years old & over the past decade, the weight crept up to close to 200 pounds. Most of it in the middle. I started losing weight on my own, about this time last year. I joined MFP in January & got down to 171 pounds by March. Probably was too fast. My guess is that I was just under 20% bf at that time (judging by those picture charts). I started Stronglifts 5x5 in February & have been following the program almost to the letter since. Started slow bulk in March. Worked my way up 13 pounds to the current 184 in the 7 months since. Muscle gains have been surprisingly good in both strength & appearance, so my plan, so far is to ride the gains right through until February or March, then cut for summer.
dmx33sus4qim.jpg
zx1u2g7wyly4.png

However, it seems like the fat (gut) is growing big enough. I realize that fat is a part of the process & that is what the cut is all about. I just don’t want to go too far & lose more muscle than necessary. It could be that I started the bulk too soon, at too high of bf%. The gut was not all gone. But my family was complaining that I was too thin & looked sick. (No one says that now.)
Seeking advice from experienced bulk – cutters. Stick to the strength / bulk plan or shift to cardio / cut sooner?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would slowly cut down (10% less than maintenance), protein around 1g per lb of weight, and continue to lift heavy.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Psulemon is more knowledgeable than me. I just wanted to say that you look amazing and good work!!
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you!
  • robdowns1300
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I would slowly cut down (10% less than maintenance), protein around 1g per lb of weight, and continue to lift heavy.

So, cut now? Lifting will retain earned muscle, but probably not gain while in caloric deficit. Right?
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options

So, cut now? Lifting will retain earned muscle, but probably not gain while in caloric deficit. Right?

You will inevitably lose some muscle and strength during your cut but lifting will help minimize the amount. I'd cut until 8-10% BF, then bulk until 15% and then repeat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat at around maintenance, get enough protein (1gr per lb of lean mass), lift heavy while focusing on the big 5 compound moves for a few months and see what happens...
  • robdowns1300
    Options
    So, it doesn't make sense to try to ride the tide of gains any farther?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    You can but you will put on more fat. If you're worried about it, I'd eat at maintenance or a slight deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

It wouldn't be ideal. Some of the research would suggest that once you get to the point you are at, that you would be gaining more fat. Lyle McDonald actually has a fairly solid discussion on calorie partitioning that would discuss this.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It wouldn't be ideal. Some of the research would suggest that once you get to the point you are at, that you would be gaining more fat. Lyle McDonald actually has a fairly solid discussion on calorie partitioning that would discuss this.

Which can be found here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To echo the above, I would suggest a deficit until you are sub 15% (the nearer to 10% the better) and then increase your calories to make some more gains.
  • robdowns1300
    Options
    Ok. I hate to hear it, but I knew it. I am going to slowly dial back the calories a little at a time. Hopefully, this time I will look better at the lower bf percentages. We'll find out. Thanks everyone & thanks for the great article. It's just what I needed. Probably slowly start some cardio too. I really need that.