Needing to start again

Options
mom22dogs
mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
I did really good for about a year. I lost 12 lbs over the year, and consistently went to the gym. In
July, I had my trainer change up my exercise routine, and I hurt my rotator cuff. So I took a couple of weeks off to let it rest. Then it was still hurting, so I went back and talked to one of the physical therapists at the gym (it's a medically oriented gym) and she told me to take ibuprofen and ice it. So I took another week off. Went a couple of times, worked out really light and got some exercises to rehab my shoulder.

Labor Day weekend happened, and I was gone for about a week. Since then, I just haven't been able to make myself go. I am usually one to just say "just do it" and get it over with, but I haven't been able to do it. I've also been under a lot of extra stress from work - a lot of extra things going on, and 2 weeks ago the Library Director I work with said she was leaving. I will be promoted to Library Director, which I'm happy about, but now I'm training to do her job, still do my job, and we still have a lot of things going on. I think I've had maybe one night a week that I've been home in the last month. There have been weeks where I had 4 different meetings or things going on after work that brought food in, or I had to grab something fast.

I have learned that when I get stressed, I don't think about what I'm eating or the amount. I also bought potato chips (which I NEVER do, because that is something I know I can't control) for snacks for kids yesterday for a Lego League meeting. They didn't have them, so I brought them home. One bag is now gone, reminding me why I never ever buy them in the first place.

I need to make myself go to the gym again tomorrow and start tracking calories again. I know I've gained some weight back.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @mom22dogs
    Congratulations on your promotion.
    if you can not go the gym anymore you will have to eat less amount of food
    I found this very helpful thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040368/some-thoughts-on-starting-over/p1
    I try to have some activity when I am stressed out. I work from home, so I go for a 15 minute run around my neighborhood when it is too stressful. if pressed for time, I go for a 5 minute walk
    Ask your medical insurance if they have programs/information about Stress Management.
    Take it one day at a time. You can do this
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • mom22dogs
    Options
    Thanks. I need to get back into a routine again and that will help. My schedule has been so erratic the last 6 weeks or so that I can't plan anything. This week shouldn't be as bad schedule-wise.
  • Melemur
    Melemur Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over myself feel free to add me
  • countrysweet1127
    countrysweet1127 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also starting over from losing 30 pounds last year and gaining it all back.
  • missyloutaylor
    missyloutaylor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too. I had surgery in April and gained all 35 pounds back plus an additional 10 more. Very frustrating. I am finally back in the right frame of mind to do this but my body is protesting. Would be great to have people to talk to that are fighting the same fight.
  • luvmylife2016
    luvmylife2016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over as well. Feel free to add me.
  • mom22dogs
    Options
    Luckily, it's only been about 2-3 months that I've really slacked. I just know that I can't keep going like this, otherwise it will be 6 months, then a year, and it will be that much worse. I am planning on going back to the gym tomorrow. I was also thinking about a thread from a few weeks ago that talked about boring foods. I need to stick to my usual, boring foods that are healthy, but I'm not tempted to overeat. I also need to try to pre-plan meals again. It works when I have time.

I appreciate all the offers to add as a friend, but I'm not much of a cheerleader, and find that other people encouraging me doesn't really motivate me either. I have to just make myself do it again and just get into the routine again.
  • mom22dogs
    Options
    I went back to the gym yesterday, and have DOMS today, which normally, I never have, so it's been a month since I was there. I actually got a call from the head of the medically oriented gym asking how I was doing. Talked to him for a bit about all the stress I'm having and schedule changes and how it throws me off. I told him I would be there tomorrow.