Eating healthy is tough when you have kids

Options
serapel
serapel Posts: 502 Member
I find it tough to eat healthy with the kids' snacks in my cupboards. And now the Halloween chocolate bars are going to be in abundance in my household this Monday. I LOVE chocolate...oh crap.

What are some tricks to avoid eating your children's snacks (granola bars, cookies, Halloween treats, etc). Is there spell I can cast to make myself hate chocolate for two weeks???

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I have three kids and we all eat the same kinds of foods for the most part, so it hasn't been an issue. Halloween candy is pretty low key over here, most of it gets thrown out right away (kids in braces means sticky things go right in the trash). I'll probably have one or two of the mini candy bars, but I'll fit them into my calorie goals for the day and then enjoy guilt free :) Just pre-plan what you're going to have so it doesn't derail your day/s.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much all up to your own willpower. Try, over time, buying healthier snacks for the kids and it may help you to stay on track a bit more. Now that my kids are grown, we stock all healthy snacks (fruits/vegetables/yogurt) and found that when the grand kids visit they are just fine eating yogurt or fruits as snacks.
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a cultural thing, so I don't mean to sound condemning at all, but do you have to keep unhealthy snacks for the children at home? Won't that just make them eat it more, which is a health risk for them too? I have a four year old daughter and I never keep any unhealthy snacks at home, here in Sweden kids usually get to eat candy one day a week (usually Saturdays, the candy commonly called Saturday candy) and for the rest of the week if she wants a snack, she'll have fruits or veggies :) it's not like I never make an exception to the rule, if we're out somewhere or visiting someone she can have a cookie or an ice cream but not if we're at home, and we buy new candy each Saturday which she always looks forward to too, and that keeps me from having that problem
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Buy your kids more nutritious snacks. Don't steal your kids' snacks. Don't steal your kids' candy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids?

Some ideas: for something like Halloween candy, it's theirs: just tell yourself it's not yours. Parcel it out however you see fit to them depending on whatever rules apply.

If they are old enough to pick out some treats for themselves, let them do that (or give them an amount of money to be used that way) and then again it's theirs, not yours. Don't feel like you have to buy it for the house (obviously if the spouse wants it, that's another issue).

If they are young enough that these don't work, maybe start focusing on nutritious snacks as the main thing available at the house, no real reason to have lots of chocolate bars/cookies around at all times.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If they are old enough to buy their own snacks, ask them to keep it away from you. If you are the one buying it, stop. At any rate, don't take other people's food.

Or you can of course rely on magic.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Just eat it really quickly and then it won't hang around for 2 weeks! (kidding!!!)

I actually like to include a little chocolate/sweets in my regular life, so could you log a small amount as stick to that? (my hubby couldn't - once he starts, it's all on - kids would be to have anything left the next day)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Ugh...had a feeling people would be condescending. I have two boys and yes it is hard. They have goldfish or cookies as part of their lunch...along side healthier options. All the boys in my house love ice cream and PB sandwiches are a staple. Willpower is a muscle..:it fatigues after awhile. I hear you, mama!

Actually didn't mean to sound condescending at all. I eat peanut butter and ice cream all the time. Granted, I choose the lower calorie versions of ice cream and I limit my peanut butter intake carefully, but I simply don't consider those bad foods. The Goldfish, cookies.. in moderation I don't think they are bad either so much. I choose not to buy them for myself, but there are also options to buy them snack sized packs rather than bigger bags of them. That way if you do fall off the wagon, a simple 100 calorie snack sized pack isn't going to hurt much (I see those at the store all the time with Goldfish in them). I try to stay a few steps ahead of my own appetite because I could easily eat a bag of Oreos right now if I wanted. There are a couple of things that stop me from doing that, one, they aren't in front of me right now (and I think this is your point), two, if they were in front of me I'd simply have to choose to eat only a single serving or sacrifice being hungry later because I blew my calories. It's hard, but it's do-able. When we buy things for our grand kids we buy enough for them and no more, and if there is leftover cookies/cake/etc we send it home with them. If it gets left at our house we do our best to limit ourselves on it, but offer it to anyone else who will take it. Like you said, willpower is a muscle, and you can choose to strengthen it.

Read up on flexible dieting. If done right it can help you lose weight and transition into maintenance without re-gaining any of the lost weight. Think of this not as a diet at all, but rather a new way of life. Depriving yourself of the things you like or crave will lead to binging and will certainly strain your willpower. I believe in eating what I want, but within reason. This way I eat healthier most of the day but probably have ice cream 5-6 nights a week. I still lost my weight by planning ahead and being choosy about what types of snacks I brought into the house. It can be done.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Put it out of sight. Otherwise yeah, unfortunately it just comes down to willpower.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 year old son. Generally he gets some snacks for school that I don't find that appealing (Bear Paw cookies, cheese & crackers, Wagon Wheels, etc). Those are his treats. It's easier for me to stay away from them because I don't really like them. Then of course we have the healthy snacks (fresh fruit, cheese, yogurt, etc). I also buy myself some treats I like.

As for the candy, especially at Halloween, if I want some, I make sure it fits in with my calories. Generally (after almost 2 years of tracking on MFP) I don't really want any, but once in a while, it's hard to resists. Track it, enjoy it, no guilt.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When I'm looking at eating the snacks we get for the kiddos lunches and stuff it's usually because... I'm starving and want a quick fix. When I'm full, it's not an issue. If possible, don't starve yourself... or maybe keep your apple stash stacked with Honey Crisp (or whatever) so you can gnosh on that when you're feeling hungry and want to rip open some soft'n'chewies/Kit Kat action.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I find it tough to eat healthy with the kids' snacks in my cupboards. And now the Halloween chocolate bars are going to be in abundance in my household this Monday. I LOVE chocolate...oh crap.

What are some tricks to avoid eating your children's snacks (granola bars, cookies, Halloween treats, etc). Is there spell I can cast to make myself hate chocolate for two weeks???

Can you keep the Halloween candy somewhere else until Halloween and then get rid of it? In your car trunk (provided it doesn't melt)? In the attic? In your office, if you have a key?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Halloween candy gets put up on the top of the kitchen cabinet after 3-4 days. It then sits there, forgotten, until we remember it weeks later. At that point we throw it away.

When I see it, I take a piece if I want it (doea not happen often.) It is no more stealing than my daughter would be stealing by taking food that I bought from the fridge or cupboard IMO.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    You look Fantastic so maybe the extra kids calories are doing you some good:)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »

I have my own snacks and dark chocolate stash so I don't feel tempted by other people's snacks.
    My diet includes things like granola bars, cookies or chocolate at times in small portions. It doesn't keep me from eating more nutrient packed foods.
    I log things in advance. I eat at the same times daily. I plan my snacks.

If you really have zero willpower:
    You could not send your kids out trick or treating. Do something else.
    You could throw most candy away or give it away after 1 day if it is too much for your household to handle.
    You could change the snacks you buy your kids.
  • schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have two little ones and so far it's been mostly about will power. Any candy they have received as part of party favors or the occasional candy that is picked out in the check out line gets put into the deep, dark recesses of our pantry. Goldfish crackers and granola bars are more accessible, so I have to resist them. I usually find that if I have been extra depriving myself, my cravings come on really strong. I bought a package of the pre portioned plain veggie straws (chips) that I reach for when my cravings start creeping up, like when baby carrots or an apple just won't cut it.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. ...I no longer crave chips, but we have them, and if I did want some I'd just portion out some and go on with my day. I have chocolate almost daily, and I'm almost always under my cals. I don't go crazy about any 1 food, because nothing is off limits....but if that doesn't work for you, out of sight, out of mind