has anyone read Gary Taubes book and what do you think of it?

Options
Ive been researching why none of the CICO has worked for me and found this book. havent read it, wondering if its worth a read?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307272702/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bulletpexecut-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0307272702

an interesting comment on this link by one of the readers about the studies done on mice. Ive heard of that one. and the theroy about toxic body fat.

Ive never had a problem losing weight until the last few years, I hit meapause and have thyriod and ovarain tumors and read all these can contribute to weight gain . also other helath factors like chronic fatigue and hypoglycemia. its seems no matter what I do my body has just decided to hang onto the fat, and I stay fatigued instead of burnnign ti for energy. its very frustrating.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out. If you are not losing weight then you are not in a deficit. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything not solid? How do you calculate your calorie burns?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    Ive been researching why none of the CICO has worked for me and found this book. havent read it, wondering if its worth a read?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307272702/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bulletpexecut-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0307272702

an interesting comment on this link by one of the readers about the studies done on mice. Ive heard of that one. and the theroy about toxic body fat.

Ive never had a problem losing weight until the last few years, I hit meapause and have thyriod and ovarain tumors and read all these can contribute to weight gain . also other helath factors like chronic fatigue and hypoglycemia. its seems no matter what I do my body has just decided to hang onto the fat, and I stay fatigued instead of burnnign ti for energy. its very frustrating.

Don't fall hype regarding weight loss.

The bottom line is that weight loss is calories in/calories out every single time. However, with your medical thyroid and ovarian tumor conditions, you will need to do some trial and error to find the CICO that works for you. You might end up eating a bit less than you would like, or pushing yourself for more movement.

As for menopause.....that's when I found it easiest to get all my weight off. All I did was follow CICO and it worked.

If you are fatigued, you are probably not sleeping as well and moving as much as you used to, which can explain why you are having trouble losing weight. :)

That said, how much are you trying to lose? What are your stats? If you are close to normal weight and you have little to lose, then it will take much longer.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am hypo/hashi and CICO does work (along with a multitude of other medical stuff)... Trick is to get the medical under control first.. For me that was a really high dose of synthroid.. I have learned in many years what levels work best for me and I have established with my doc to keep them in that range.. Thyroid meds are adjust frequently to compensate :)
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    all the comments sound very valid. I am switching to a scale instead fo just messuring. its tricky wiht the hypoglycemia since I have to eat a lot constantly to keep my blood sugar up. it has made calorie restriction not doable. the illness , muscle disfunction and fatique makes exersize not doable. I cant get decent medical care because I am poor because of being so disabled. I am on medicaid but the doctors dont offer much help. Ive seen a nutritionist and they did nothign for me except give me an outdated 1200 sample diet sheet, which listed all breads and dairy (yuk) and tell me to space out the food. even with that the wieght keeps coming. Every time I drop the calories a little my wieght drops and little then rebounds back to what it was even though I am still eating less. I tried dropping it even lower but the hypoglycemia became unbareable and the constant shakiness and dizzieness was too much and too dangerous. its gone so low at times Ive passed out.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Reading how someone disagrees with CICO always remids of this episode where Phoebe says she doesn't 'believe' in gravity. :smile:
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This resource might be helpful to you: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/reactive-hypoglycemia/faq-20057778

But really, you need a doctor's input, preferably someone more credentialed than a nutritionist.

Best of luck with your health and fitness!
    -s
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you have hypoglycemia, even looking at this book will make it worse, not to mention that the way of eating he advocates will not go well with eating constantly unless you want to only have one spoonful of food every small meal.