WHY WHY WHY!!??!!

Options
So last week all I did was stay within my calories, all 7 days, and I lost 6 pounds. This past week I had a couple binge nights(where I ate about 2000 cals instead of my 1340) BUT I also started dong cardio. I burned 2000 calories over the course of 4 workouts...well I GAINED 2 pounds! I just wanted to crawl back under the covers this morning. I'm back to 205 and now probably wont be under 200 before I leave for florida next sunday. I am so royally pissed. I want to quit but I know that wont get me anywhere but up.

I need to make the most of this week so I wonder what is best. Just staying within my calories and not working out like week one or counting cals/workingout like last week and hoping for the best.

any thoughts??

Replies

• fiddlechic
    Options
    So last week all I did was stay within my calories, all 7 days, and I lost 6 pounds. This past week I had a couple binge nights(where I ate about 2000 cals instead of my 1340) BUT I also started dong cardio. I burned 2000 calories over the course of 4 workouts...well I GAINED 2 pounds! I just wanted to crawl back under the covers this morning. I'm back to 205 and now probably wont be under 200 before I leave for florida next sunday. I am so royally pissed. I want to quit but I know that wont get me anywhere but up.

I need to make the most of this week so I wonder what is best. Just staying within my calories and not working out like week one or counting cals/workingout like last week and hoping for the best.

any thoughts??
  • evajessee
    Options
    I wouldn't get fixated on the scales (I battle that too!) because it can be very frustrating to gain a few pounds when you are killing yourself with weights, pilates, and cardio. Muscle weighs MORE than fat so probably what is happening is that now you have implemented the cardio you are building muscle which is why you are seeing the scale go up some.

Muscle burns fat so it is important to have little body fat and more lean muscle. I would keep up the cardio, stick to the calories, EAT your exercise calories back or eat some of them back so you don't go into starvation mode. Then I would push water as much as possible so you can flush all that fat back out of your body that your muscles are burning.

You are doing SUPER! Keep your chin up and know that weight HAS to come off when you are doing what you have to do for your body!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It's the binging. Whether or not you burn the calories, poor food choices can make the scale go up immediately. For me, I will without fail see three added pounds the following day. :noway: It's not fat, it's water weight, and it will go back down in a matter of days once you get your diet cleaned up again. Binge foods aren't worth it! :laugh:
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    when I "binge' it's on yogurt, graham crackers, kashi bars, fruit, string cheese...I only have healthy things in my house but the calories add up all the same;(
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am curious why you changed up? If it worked so well for your body the 1st week, why increase and add so much exercise the 2nd?

Just wondering.

Also, have you been drinking your water? Are you close to TOM, as this can have you retaine water.

Good luck, you are a beautiful young lady!!:flowerforyou:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately too much of a good thing is still bad, look at me. The people I work with say I am the healthiest fat person they know and they wished they ate as well as me. Just get back to your calorie count and do a little exercise. Limit your refined carbs like the graham crackers and stick to really whole grains and you'll be back on track. Good Luck and have fun in Florida for us!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    when I "binge' it's on yogurt, graham crackers, kashi bars, fruit, string cheese...I only have healthy things in my house but the calories add up all the same;(

Yogurt, graham crackers, even kashi products, all can have a lot of added sugar. They're not always as healthy as they are advertised to be. I avoid sugars like the plague, but that's me. I eat plain yogurt, I don't eat graham crackers, I personally don't like Kashi products, and I limit my cheeses. (I probably eat way too much fruit! It's good for you, but because of the sugars, should probably be limited, for people who want to get lean. I'm working on that!) You have to find what works for you, and over time you will. :smile:
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    honestly I started doing cardio so I could eat more but that backfired:)
    I drink about 72 ounces of water each day...I guess I forgot to mention that from tues-today it was that TOM...I guess with all the changes this week it was just too much. maybe next week will be a lot better.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    you may be pleasantly surprised next week! You have much swelling-just watch a Pamprin commercial for all the symptoms:laugh: :laugh:

I have followed this site from day one. I eat the calories each day that are alloted. I exercise and eat those cals on those days. I find this works for me MENTALLY as well as in weight loss.

If I know I get 1200 cals if I dont exercise, I get my booty out there and work out.

It is all trial and error. You'll get it, I promise!!:flowerforyou:
  • greeneggsam
    Options

I found myself in a very similar situation recently. After some soul searching, I realized that I was binging because I was craving something, but I didn't want to eat it OR because I was bored. I keep small portions of my very favorite things in the house: dark chocolate truffles, single-serving ice cream, etc. When I crave them, I savor them and log them instead of trying to trick my body into thinking sugar free hot chocolate mix made with water is what I wanted. :wink:

For the boredom, I actually bought a crossword puzzle book (you know, the kind with large print and ads for hearing aids) and I crack it open when I want to wander into the kitchen for some mindless eating.

I'm not sure if this is the same for you, but I think it helps to figure out why you are binging, and come up with a strategy to cope. Nobody enjoys setbacks, so it's better to avoid them, right? Good luck to you!