little help from the lifters out there

Options
I started lifting a couple years ago, I only know what I have read in mags. and books. We have a small gym at work, but no bodybuliders by far. so here is my problem little over 3 months ago I was trying to bulk got up to almost 230 (mostly belly) but I felt strong and was benching over 300 now I am 192 and feel weak have lost 30-50lbs. off my max bench. It wasnt too bad till the last 2 weeks. Im not where I wanted to be just now starting to see abs, I dnt know is this how it is supposed to be? should I up my cals? when do I cut back on cardio. Any and all help and tips whould be greatly appreciated

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've done what you have a couple times. I'd recommend you get to the body fat percentage you want to be at, then start bulking up. Easier to monitor the fat gain, if any, that way. Look up Mackie Shilstone's "Lean and Hard" for tips on eating to gain bulk. And yeah my overall strength usually dropped a bit with losing weight. You can't help but lose some muscle mass.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    check out leangains or bodybuilding but it is possible to cut while gaining strength though difficult, require adequte protein, replenishing glycogen etc. Try not to lose weight at much more than a half pound a week. It is easier in my opinion to cut to good bodyfat then SLOWLY bulk 1/2 pound a week and only cut when you stop to see the abs slowly and you shouldnt see strength loss.
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    The guys over at bodybuilding.com may be able to field your question with more information, but the majority of stuff I've read says simultaneously doing cardio and mass gaining programs are a virtual no-no. If you're still losing weight, I'd say you need to up cals and cut back on cardio as you said, but I'd check over there for a more in-depth answer.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Reduce body fat first, then bulk up.