How many aches and pains do you ignore in order to work out?

Options

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I ignore them all... and just train.. currently training like this... There are no excuses as long as your not injuring yourself more.

14719077_705430559623402_2140529408753008640_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM2NTQ0NjYzMjU4NTUwNDE4OQ%3D%3D.2
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm hypermobile with 40+years worth of joint damage and associated pain. If I didn't work through the pain I'd be back where I was last year, not moving because it hurts too much. But if the pain is at a suddenly higher level then I'll get it checked out with x rays etc. My able is giving me a lot of trouble atm, but x rays have shown there's nothing sinister, no micro fractures just a lot of pain when I walk on it. So I push through and when all those workout hormones are flooding my body it doesn't hurt quite so much.
  • sohosocialclub
    sohosocialclub Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I try to work around them. Two torn shoulder labrums for example. I avoid barbells and stick to dumbbells for any pressing. Just as an example...I've had plenty of other injuries. :(
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    I ignore them all... and just train.. currently training like this... There are no excuses as long as your not injuring yourself more.

14719077_705430559623402_2140529408753008640_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM2NTQ0NjYzMjU4NTUwNDE4OQ%3D%3D.2

When I fractured my wrist I ended up doing zombie squats so I completely agree you can work around injuries as long as it's safe to do so!
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I try to find something that would aggravate them anymore. I have enough problems that I don't need to be creating more. So when my hiatal hernia got to be too much, I stopped doing work outs that had bending and too much jumping and went to walking. But I got where if I walked more than like 30 minutes at a time it was killing my back and I would be hobbling around work for the next week. So now I'm just going to stick with the stationary bike. That should be safe enough. HAHA
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I train through aches and bruises as long as it doesn't hurt so badly I can't do the exercise properly. I'll ignore swelling and discoloration if there's no real pain. Im doing that now, actually. Dropped a 45lb plate on my ankle more than a month ago (don't ask, I'm a clutz) and it's still a bit swollen and yellow. But it only hurts if you push on it, so I figure lifting is fine.

If I've got a turned ankle and it's OK to bear weight I'll do any exercise where I can plant my foot and keep the ankle straight. If I'm worried about the strain I'll use a brace. I also work through joint aches in my shoulder and back pain because I know what's causing it and lifting consistently makes it go away.

I don't do anything I think will make an injury worse, and I don't work if I'm sick unless it's allergies. I don't mess around with knee pain
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options

That is a rather unpleasant and potentially damaging statement. It is completely acceptable to stop if you are in pain or discomfort, it is not "making excuses" to take some rest if your body is in pain or exhausted. It is this sort of attitude which discourages people from engaging with exercise, which is ultimately more harmful.

I would also suggest that your photo shows you doing potential harm to your body if this is an exercise you do for a sustained period of time and/or regularly given your current injury. You are placing significant additional stress on a side of your body which will already be working harder to compensate for activities of daily living. You have no way to balance that stress across your body with your arm currently injured. Therefore, you may increase your risk of stress injuries on the right side of your upper body.

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Pain and aches are different. I would never train with pain. Aches come with working out hard and age and I just deal with them. Eating well, drinking a lot of water, getting good quality sleep, and keeping on top of mobility does wonders for aches.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It really depends on the type of aches and pains. I had a biopsy taken from my foot three weeks ago. I figured out a way to run without too much pain from the pressure of my shoes but it's simply a skin injury and the pain is from the pressure and rubbing of my shoe against it. I'm not going to do myself damage.

I fractured the little bones in the ball of my right foot (sesamoids) several years ago by stepping on a largish rock during a training run right in the middle of race season. I continued to run for a few more weeks, finished my half marathon and then took several months off so it would heal. I wasn't going to damage it any worse (as long as I avoided the rocks!) and the pain wasn't severe, just annoying.

However, if I had an ache or pain that indicated that a problem was developing I would take heed and either back off, try to figure out a way to alleviate it or stop running altogether and see a medical professional. I've known too many runners, and talked to many more in these boards, who didn't see a doctor or stop running when they were hurt until they'd injured themselves badly enough to require surgery or a major recovery period. I'd rather not be that person.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

That is a rather unpleasant and potentially damaging statement. It is completely acceptable to stop if you are in pain or discomfort, it is not "making excuses" to take some rest if your body is in pain or exhausted. It is this sort of attitude which discourages people from engaging with exercise, which is ultimately more harmful.

I would also suggest that your photo shows you doing potential harm to your body if this is an exercise you do for a sustained period of time and/or regularly given your current injury. You are placing significant additional stress on a side of your body which will already be working harder to compensate for activities of daily living. You have no way to balance that stress across your body with your arm currently injured. Therefore, you may increase your risk of stress injuries on the right side of your upper body.

This is so true. Just think of the times when you've minorly injured a foot or ankle. You limp around on it and suddenly your knee or hip hurts. You've placed undue stress on a different area to compensate for the pain and if you continue to limp around you could end up with a significant issue in the new area.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I always have some pain. I try to prevent injury. I rest an injury because then it goes away. But, right now I have costochondritis in my chest. And I can't completely rest. I'm trying to work around it. It's difficult though. And I am a dancer and need this time to keep working. I recently had such a severe injury to the trigeminal nerves in my face that I had to take a year off. It was from a medical injury. That was difficult. And I don't want to keep having pain and needing to hold back. Sometimes it's challenging to know.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    as long as your not injuring yourself more.

i think that's what this thread was about.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But the chance of you injuring yourself even more are greatly increased, so why put yourself in that position....?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have to constantly modify my workout routine to avoid aggravating small injuries or aches/pains. But I've found that with the right willpower I can work through just about anything. Even when I had 3 herniated discs in my back, once the initial pain was gone (that took about a week and a half along with narcotics and steroid shots) I would lay on a weight bench and work my upper body/arms. Once it was healed sufficiently I spent time on my elliptical until I felt well enough to walk again outside (another few weeks). Last week it was shin splints.. still nursing those so I'm back inside on the elliptical again instead of walking/running. I'm 47, have previous knee and back surgeries under my belt, as well as arthritis in both my knees and back so I figure it's par for the course. Good news is that the more 'in shape' i get the less issues I have.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    4!
    Achilles tendinitis
    Knees
    Back
    Forearm splints

5 if you count the pain in the *kitten* that lets *kitten* slam

LOL a man who answers the question literally...love it
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What line?
    I have been running on a painful, swollen knee for the past three months. All that running hasn't helped.
    After two months of not getting better (yeah, I'm stubborn), I went to the sports kinesiologist to get it checked out. Here's how bad my running was: He said he had seen me out on the road and he already knew what the problem was!
    In seriousness, though, as one who has been old for a long, long time, if you let injury and discomfort stop you, you'll be stopped as often as you are active, and you will get out of shape and then you will get injured more.
    I think you push through, when you can, and when you are not doing anything permanent. But you are really, really diligent about all the things you can do to take care of the injury, the warm ups, the wearing of a brace, the icing afterwards, the new shoes, etc. You do not want to perpetuate that vicious cycle where you keep aggravating something so it never gets better.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I've got a decent pain threshold and can work through quite a lot which is why I worry a bit more about ignoring stuff...I haven't quite got a grip on what's damage as opposed to get over yourself I suppose

If I were in your condition, I'd take the rest of the weak off. Sorry to hear that your ankle is swollen. Maybe it happened while you were moving in your sleep?
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I get aches and pains in my lower back. If it's just a strain, then I work out with good stretching. If there's any tearing or swelling, I don't go.