Weight loss and eating exercise calories

So I'm new to counting calories. My wife and I have been doing T25 for a few months now. My fit bit tells me I burn 3500-4000 calories a day during work weeks, with workouts daily.
Today I ate 2300 calories and still had a deficit of 300 calories before going to bed.
Should I be eating all those back? Even the ones from just steps counted?
I have my goal set to weight loss, with a 1760 a day goal. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If your fitbit gives you the figure of 3500 then that is your TDEE (how many calories you have burned in total that day). If you eat 2300 then you have a calorie deficit of 3500-2300 = 1200 calories. Which is enough to burn 2.4lbs of fat a week.

I would make 2 comments; fitbits normally overestimate your calories significantly and secondly, a deficit of that size is probably too large unless you are significantly overweight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I fail to see the point of using a fitbit to estimate your TDEE if you aren't going to be guided by it.
    Give it a month's trial and then you will have an idea of how accurate it is.

But take a sensible deficit away from your estimated TDEE - fast weight loss is rarely optimal weight loss.
  • ROGUE36BLACK
    ROGUE36BLACK Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2016
    I started using the MyFitnessPal app because I wanted more in depth nutritional information on what I putting in daily.

The MyFitnessPal is usually a couple hundred less on how many calories I have left for the day than the Fitbit. Is it a good guideline to have my net calories match my goal calories with the MyFitnessPal?

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm pretty new to nutrition and calorie counting.
  • ROGUE36BLACK
    ROGUE36BLACK Posts: 8 Member
    Also, I've lost 20 lbs in three months since starting T25. I'm now at 169 lbs. I think setting my goal to a pound a week sounds pretty reasonable at this point. Advice?