Substituting beans for flour in baking

Options
Mollie672
Mollie672 Posts: 10 Member
I don't like beans. That being said, I've been seeing recipes for chocolate brownies substituting black beans for flour to make them healthier. Has anyone tried this? Can you really not taste the beans?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I couldn't taste the beans when I tried it.
  • yvonnelorraineguerra
    Options
    I wonder if it goves it a strange texture
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've made this one after my mom made it and gave me some. Fantastic. The texture is more chewy and moist.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/amazing-flour-less-brownies/

gluten-free-black-bean-brownies-550x783.jpg
  • Mollie672
    Options
    You're supposed to puree the beans. They say it makes very moist, fudgy brownies. I'll give it a try. The worst thing that can happen is they'll be awful, but the best thing that could happen would be no guilt brownies. Well, *less* guilt... And they're supposed to be high in fiber and protein due to the beans.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I've tried and liked it. I've also made the deep dish cookie pie from Chocolate Covered Katie's website so many times I've lost count. It calls for white beans and it's delicious.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Mollie672 wrote: »
    I don't like beans. That being said, I've been seeing recipes for chocolate brownies substituting black beans for flour to make them healthier. Has anyone tried this? Can you really not taste the beans?

is there any reason why you want to substitute?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Figures that our kitchen is the middle of a reno because I am dying to make black bean brownies, white bean blondies, and to roast some pumpkin.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    They don't taste like non-bean brownies to me, but they also don't taste like beans, if that makes sense. I think they're pretty good. Make sure you rinse the beans really well so you don't get that salty brine taste. I'm also a fan of some Chocolate Covered Katie recipes, especially the cookie dough dip.
  • Mollie672
    Options

Just trying to eat healthier.
  • Mollie672
    Options
    I've made this one after my mom made it and gave me some. Fantastic. The texture is more chewy and moist.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/amazing-flour-less-brownies/

gluten-free-black-bean-brownies-550x783.jpg

If ever a picture was worth a thousand words... They look amazing.
  • Mollie672
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    They don't taste like non-bean brownies to me, but they also don't taste like beans, if that makes sense. I think they're pretty good. Make sure you rinse the beans really well so you don't get that salty brine taste. I'm also a fan of some Chocolate Covered Katie recipes, especially the cookie dough dip.

It makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've made black bean brownies and chickpea blondies, both awesome, chewy and delicious. I've seen many different recipes though, so textures and taste might vary based on the recipe.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I get that, but you could always use different kinds of flour too instead of beans. white flour is not unhealthy(it gets a bad rap though) if you dont have a health issue you dont have to cut it out if you dont want. there are no bad foods really.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I get that, but you could always use different kinds of flour too instead of beans. white flour is not unhealthy(it gets a bad rap though) if you dont have a health issue you dont have to cut it out if you dont want. there are no bad foods really.

Sometimes people try this not to eliminate flour, but to increase the amount of fiber or protein in the brownies.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I like using oat flour......just grind up instant oats. Great for cookies.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

My answer to this question is: 'because I'm a sucker for a good food experiment'. :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

My answer to this question is: 'because I'm a sucker for a good food experiment'. :smile:

Experiments are good. You might find something you like better.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well brownies have almost no flour and don't have to rise so it really doesn't much matter what you use for those :)

Falafel is a good use for chickpea flour, also tempura/pakora and dumplings. Mmm, chickpea flour dumplings in yogurt curry sauce, not sure what it's called but it's a delicious Indian dish.

Cricket flour also seems to be popular on amazon...since you don't like beans. Might pack more protein if that is your goal.
  • mdonnici
    mdonnici Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We use the Nestle Tollhouse cookie recipe (pan version) with Chickpea (Garbonzo) bean flour and turns out great. Made them that way for about 3 years before my family caught on.