Help Maintaining Weight...

Options
I weigh between 180lb to 185lb.

I wanna maintain it, but dunno how.
I'm 6'3"
How many calories should I eat?
MyFitnessPal's estimate says over 3000, but I'm sure if I eat that much, I'm gonna gain weight.

Replies

• kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest finding out your bmr and body fat % at your local max muscle.
  • Lovoas
    Lovoas Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Spoke to my nutritionist, and she told me to eat minimum 2.300 calories.
  • Lovoas
    Options
    Which seems like a lot
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Google for TDEE, you'll be able to put your data into a calculator and find out exactly how many calories a day you should eat to maintain the weight you want to.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's not a lot if you're exercising. You have advice from two experts. Buy a fitness monitor to count your steps (the Fitbit zip is $35 or so on ebay and works fine). Have it sync here so it gives you more calories when you exercise. If you follow the directions, use MFPs estimates and set your activity to sedentary (it adds exercise calories from the Fitbit). Log ALL your food (little things like mayonnaise and salad dressing can add a lot of calories to your day). After a month, see if you've gained or lost weight. Adjust 100 calories in whatever direction you need.

It's not rocket science. This was my first serious weight loss attempt (I was 55 when I started). I just followed directions for loss and maintenance. Lost 40 pounds and got back to my college weight. I've maintained 4 years.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    One method:
    1) Google "TDEE calculator"
    2) Pick 5 links and plug in your stats to see what the numbers look like and take the average
    3) Stick to that number for a couple weeks/months while also recording your weight
    4)If there's a downwards trend, eat more, perhaps adding 100 calories. If there's an upward trend, eat less, perhaps subtracting 100 calories.
    5) Repeat steps 3-5 until you maintain that 180-185 lb range.
    FYI- 2300 is not a lot. I'm also in my 20's, a female, only 5'2" and maintain 108-114lbs, and there are days where I have to eat 2000+ calories because of my activity.
  • Lovoas
    Options
    Okay, so based on my measurements, I have approximately 9.3% body fat.
    mzyk6nw94s0i.png

Found out how much I need to take.
    jgb9wep14kkf.png

I work out 6 days a week, so this really did help. Thank you, everyone!
  • carlosapolinarioferreira
    Options
    You should also find out with your nutritionist to see if you could get a % body fat and body muscle. Your body muscle may determine in comparison with the rest of your of your values may give you a better determination of the amount of calories you need to consume.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pick a number, eat that amount for 4-6 weeks, adjust depending what the scales do...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Maybe change to moderate exercise, that is 300 less calories, try that for a bit and adjust accordingly based on weight changes.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You're tall and have muscle, you need a lot of calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lovoas wrote: »
    I weigh between 180lb to 185lb.

I wanna maintain it, but dunno how.
    I'm 6'3"
    How many calories should I eat?
    MyFitnessPal's estimate says over 3000, but I'm sure if I eat that much, I'm gonna gain weight.

It depends on how active you are...if you're active, 3,000 calories isn't much, particularly at your height.

I'm 5'10" and 42 years old and have a desk job...I maintain my weight right around 3,000 calories per day because I'm pretty active outside of the office.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Maybe change to moderate exercise, that is 300 less calories, try that for a bit and adjust accordingly based on weight changes.

This is what I would do. Is your training truly that "heavy" of a load?