Possibly the best thing ever

Options
daneslord
daneslord Posts: 31
So, you know how we all have that nasty cornbread recipe that we use? The one that tastes like....nothing, and is dry and disgusting? Add kale to the batter. Not just a little, but a lot. A whole lot. Add more kale than cornbread. Turns out, when you bake it, it does two things. The kale near the surface turns crispy and delicious, and the kale inside ends up tasting like butter. Imagine actually liking Kale.

Replies

• tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • Pynkklady
    Pynkklady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try that! I recently started making kale chips and LOVE them! I like them better than potato chips now. Thanks for the Kale cornbread idea!
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Where is this cornbread recipe?? AND will you share the chip recipe please?!
  • daneslord
    Options
    1 cup(s) cornmeal
    1 cup(s) flour, all-purpose
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup(s) no fat milk
    2 egg whites
    1 teaspoon oil, vegetable
    1/4 cup(s) lo fat margerine

cook for 20-25 minutes at 350

it's gross, it's tasteless, adding a TON of kale makes it taste better, almost like a bread pudding
  • daneslord
    Options
    and I too want the kale chip recipe
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!!!!
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What do you do with the kale before you add it? Would love to try this. Thanks.
  • daneslord
    Options
    Just rinse (well) and then chop into long strips. Add to batter.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That sounds good - another thing that will improve your cornbread is to preheat the pan in the oven before you pour the batter into it. Makes a crust on the bottom. Also, baking it in a cast iron skillet adds more flavor (and some iron).
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Bump!
  • daneslord
    Options
    That sounds good - another thing that will improve your cornbread is to preheat the pan in the oven before you pour the batter into it. Makes a crust on the bottom. Also, baking it in a cast iron skillet adds more flavor (and some iron).

that sounds delicious. I'm all in favor of adding crustiness and such w/out adding calories
  • lorianamarie
    lorianamarie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • shellybsn
    shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yum!!! Bump!