Don't absorb nutrition from smoothies? Hey?!?!

Options
Okay so I've started a few days ago to add a green smoothie to my day in an effort to bump up my nutrition. Because I've been feeling tired all the time.

I love the fact that I can drink leafy greens because, well, I don't like eating them that much and they just taste better with a bunch of other stuff blended in.

Today someone at the gym told me (a long term member) that everything you drink in a smoothie passes right through you before your body gets a chance to absorb any nutrients. :neutral: --- That doesn't even make sense to me?! Is there truth to that or not? I mean - how does your body keep water then if you are thirsty. :confused:

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Think logically - you body absorbs calcium from milk, it absorbs the sugar in sodas, why wouldn't it absorb nutrients from a green smoothie. Next time as them what is their scientific proof of that statement.

Yes that's why it didn't make sense to me. I didn't reply anything to her. Just said Ok. It was a little random too. I take my smoothie with me to the gym with my water so, she just randomly commented without me asking for her opinion.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Rule #1 - Don't listen to people in the gym.

99.9% of them don't have any idea what they're talking about and the only "science" they know is broscience. Even the trainers at my gym spout all kinds of silly, uneducated fitness/nutrition myths that make them sound like they were certified by Dr. Oz.

I don't and didn't listen to it. Just have some curiosity as to how she makes sense of that in her head. As said above - it's common sense and logic. So wondering how she figured that.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Think logically - you body absorbs calcium from milk, it absorbs the sugar in sodas, why wouldn't it absorb nutrients from a green smoothie. Next time as them what is their scientific proof of that statement.

Yes that's why it didn't make sense to me. I didn't reply anything to her. Just said Ok. It was a little random too. I take my smoothie with me to the gym with my water so, she just randomly commented without me asking for her opinion.

I'd just have smiled politely and in my head called her something I cannot type here :p Green smoothies are a great way to get the leafy greens in-great job on adding them to your diet!
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

I'd just have smiled politely and in my head called her something I cannot type here :p Green smoothies are a great way to get the leafy greens in-great job on adding them to your diet!

I was too flabbergasted by her comment to even be able to think of a suitable insult. Lol.

But thanks! I kind of have to. My lack of vitality and energy is really irritating. Trying to add more variety and more nutrient dense foods to my diet to see if it helps any.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This person probably believes against vaccinating their children as well. Gym is full of people with good intentions that are just plain wrong. That's why headphones on, do my workout, and go home.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Was she trying to sell you something?
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There are people that are on all liquid diets, I was one of these people for a time. You absorb nutritients just fine from liquids.
  • uwannasaysomething
    uwannasaysomething Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make my green smoothies with a product called Athletic Greens. I add that too my whole leaf spinach breakfast smoothie which includes a raw egg, protein powder, pineapple chia seed, coconut water and ice. Athletic greens is all organic and has a blend of a variety of green vegetables and some fruits that adds a sweetness to the drink without the sugar. It also has a nondairy probiotic and loaded with vitamins and minerals. It is expensive. I also add some white beans to the smoothie to get the nutritional benefits of the beans, plus it adds a nice smoothie texture.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's a wonder people in hospitals surviving on liquid nutrients aren't all dead yet...

How do you think the government is planning on implementing the zombie apocalypse?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    If anything is "passing through you before you get a chance to absorb the nutrients" you are having a very terrible case of diarrhoea and should probably seek medical assistance if symptoms persist.

Feels like someone was trying to sell you something...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    If anything is "passing through you before you get a chance to absorb the nutrients" you are having a very terrible case of diarrhoea and should probably seek medical assistance if symptoms persist.

Feels like someone was trying to sell you something...
    ...if only their misinformation. ;)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    WELL.... Yes, of course you absorb nutrients in liquids. It also depends on WHY you're drinking this green smoothie.

Where their blanket statement might have some validity is this...

Chewing is an incredibly important process. Carbohydrate digestion begins with salivary alpha-amylase secreted by glands positioned near the mouth. This alpha-amylase helps break down some of the chemical bonds that connect the simple sugars that comprise starches. Additionally, the first stage of fat digestion also occurs in the mouth with the secretion of the enzyme lingual lipase by glands located at the root of the tongue.

When you consume foods without chewing, your foods may not be coated in enough saliva. At the lower end of your stomach, there is a muscle called the pylorus. This muscle must relax in order for food to leave your stomach and pass into your small intestine. Sufficient saliva from optimal chewing helps relax the pylorus, and, in this way, helps your food move through your digestive tract in healthy fashion.

By drinking your foods you may experience hunger sooner. Our hunger is triggered by a hormone called “ghrelin” which is produced in the stomache/duodenum. This hormone says “I’M HUNGRY FEED ME!” when the stomach is empty. When the stomach is stretched it reduces the hormone to say “okay, i’m full, i don’t need to eat anymore”.

When you are drinking juices or smoothies with a high water content they pass through the digestive system in a very short amount of time. This means that you will feel hungry again in a short period of time because the stomach is not being stretched (which triggers that hormone to stop producing).

The slow digestion of whole foods takes up more space in your stomach causing you to feel fuller longer.

It's also important to note that certain nutrients (more specifically IRON) is very poorly absorbed in green smoothies. Many people believe that by drinking "green smoothies" they are increasing iron and other minerals... however, these smoothies are generally filled with iron-inhibitors like Oxalates, Polyphenols, Calcium, and even Phytates.

So, to recap..... Is drinking your smoothie doing your harm? No. Are you absorbing some of the nutrients from these foods? Yes. Are you absorbing calories? Yes.

But smoothies may not be optimal for digestion, control of hunger hormones, and absorption of some specific minerals.

If you drink smoothies because they are enjoyable and make you satisfied, no worries! If they fit into your overall calorie intake, no worries! But don't try and drink a smoothie with greens as some form of vitamin/mineral supplement without taking proper planning and care to ensure absorption.

p.s. incase you're wondering, this is why patients of weight loss surgery (whose stomach already has a lower ability to absorb nutrients) are advised to avoid drinking their foods or even drinking water before/after/during their meals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    P.P.S. I think that sometimes people look at the facts and science and then write a click-bait article for the daily fail and then millions of people blindly believe some blanket statement.

Like the whole "DIET SODA COULD BE MAKING YOU FAT" simply because "you may eat more sweet things". This doesn't take into account many factors, but none the less people believe that diet sodas make you fat.