When do people notice your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    This confuses me, I lose 40 pounds, nobody notices, once I get below 130 its like, "omg you are so skinny!"
    Idk why. It doesn't phase me though, I know what I want and I've done it, now to maintain it!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've lost 78 lbs since the beginning of April (from 305 to 227, 6ft tall). I KNOW I look VERY different! Still, very few people have made comments to me, thank goodness. Those who know me and love me know that I'm getting healthy - they don't need to discuss it with me. Those less close to me are too polite to discuss my body with me - it's none of their business.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I never say to anyone, you've lost weight. They might be ill.

I'm not a fan of anyone mentioning my weight, loss OR gains. So I return the favour.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Most people are way more oblivious to what's going on around them than we (or they) realize. I lost about 25 lbs before anyone who didn't live in my house noticed.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you really have to give people a chance to see the weight loss, especially if your at a high weight of 210lbs. They're not going to notice it immidately. When I was 152lbs, I got down to 128lbs, which is a 24lbs weight loss & even at my weight, it wasn't that noticeable. Nobody said anything about it. Give your body some time to change. I think once you lose around 50lbs, then it will really start to become noticeable.

Good luck ❤️.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    When you start wearing smaller size clothing.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It was about 1/2 of the the 30 pounds I lost.. Family and friends acknowledge it differently..

My husband lost 65 pounds, I think it took all the way to the 64th pound before anyone commented, not saying they did not notice.. and they asked "did you try to lose weight" or "is there anything wrong" as in are you sick.. he still in the middle range for his "ideal weight" recommendation. Its funny how people react.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Don't complain, sounds like the people around you have manners! Not everyone is so lucky from what I've read. Personally someone would have to be family or a close friend before I would make any comment on their weight at all. Their body is not my business.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Interesting! It just shows that we mustn't give up. We must keep going because people will eventually notice. But even if no one comments, in the end, you're doing it for you and your own well-being, so it's still a win no matter what!
  • anjajacobs10
    anjajacobs10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm down 19 lbs. so far. The only people who have said anything are people who I have previously talked to about my weight loss journey. I think weight is such a touchy subject for a lot of people that most just don't mention it. It does feel nice when someone notices but I understand why most people don't comment.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    To be honest nobody in the United States will discuss ur weight or even say much about it now if it was in Japan then yes people will freely discuss weight. But to notice someone's weightloss I say maybe if they lost 20-30 lbs. if it were me and someone i know lost weight I would congraduate them I wouldn't care if it's an awkward convo i still would tell them ^^
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Two sizes down they noticed.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Options
    To be honest nobody in the United States will discuss ur weight or even say much about it now if it was in Japan then yes people will freely discuss weight. But to notice someone's weightloss I say maybe if they lost 20-30 lbs. if it were me and someone i know lost weight I would congraduate them I wouldn't care if it's an awkward convo i still would tell them ^^

Do you play Final Fantasy XIV? lol

• Megblue
    Megblue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing. I've only lost 20 pounds but that's half of what I am going to lose. Seems like someone should have noticed by now but so far no one has said anything.
    I cant let it get me down
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds (SW 204, CW 172) and only my husband has said anything about my weight loss. I wear hospital scrubs at work so I think it is harder for coworkers to detect a difference.
  • majess1022
    majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Right around when I had lost 10% of my starting body weight, a handful of people noticed.

Other than that, I'm at 17 lbs lost, and nobody has really noticed. Maybe they are just being polite. Maybe it's my same blah work clothes I wear :-)

That's why I love the side-by-side progress pictures here on MFP--it makes even small losses noticeable.
  • Pierre_is_a_cat
    Pierre_is_a_cat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Around the 10kg change in the scales is when people started to comment for me...however I was also putting on muscle, so I guess the fat loss was possibly more than 10kg. :)

For anyone waiting for that magic day, keep on keeping on. :) Yes, we're losing weight for ourselves, but we're social creatures and what other people think of us matters to us.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Options
    Interesting replies everyone!
  • fatsince4
    fatsince4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 350#, it took about 50 pounds before people noticed.