Breakfast shakes??

Options
I need a good breakfast shake idea for weight loss.. without bananas please

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I drink an ideal shake shake every morning either blender with almond milk and ice or just in a shaker with almond milk. It keeps me full until my morning snack and they are the only meal replacement shake I can tolerate every morning.
  • 2048Bit
    2048Bit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    samlindz wrote: »
    I need a good breakfast shake idea for weight loss.. without bananas please

Well, the thing thats worked the best for me is a good old fashion protein shake. Phorm 1 makes a really high protein low calorie shake that tastes pretty good. They sweeten it with Stevia rather than artificial sweeteners.

Are you interested in some fruity things, or are you OK with this sort of approach? The biggest thing I dislike about fruity breakfast shakes is all of the sugar they have.
  • samlindz
    samlindz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was looking for more of a fruity one but if a protein shank is better for weight loss then I'll definitely try it! Thanks!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I make one with spinach, fruit of some type or other, and a protein powder, mixed with either water, tea (if I need the caffeine), or tomato juice (if I need the potassium). I blend them to retain the fibre. I do this on days when I am working in the morning because I am too lazy to get up and cook breakfast. There is no magical weight loss properties to shakes, they still have calories. On days when I am on a later shift, I cook. Both are filling, both have calories, both fit my day just fine.
  • ClaireElizabethSmith2015
    Options
    Asda do a nice tasting own brand meal replacement - all flavors have roughly 200 calories mixed with skimmed milk but i sometimes like to use almond milk or use part milk/water to reduce the calories. You can make some nice flavors using almond milk and coconut milk but bare in mind coconut milk has a few more calories but it does make a gorgeous chocolate shake!
  • ClaireElizabethSmith2015
    Options
    Protein shakes are usually better as a pre or post exercise snack as they are good for recovering muscle be carefull because they arnt all low in calories
  • pickle_walsh
    pickle_walsh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tend to make the same shake most mornings:

200ml of Unsweetened Soy Milk.
    60grams MyProtein Cookies and Cream Diet Whey.
    1 Bannan
    30grams Ready Break oats

Blitz them with a processor and then im full till at least dinner all for 460 cals, 42 carbs, 11 fat, 47 protein, 7mg sodium and 7 fibre. This will obviously depend on brands used ect.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My latest smoothies have been the following:
    Frozen strawberries
    Cottage Cheese
    60ml milk
    fruit - Banana/ pawpaw/mango/ etc.
    Oatbran/ oats
    seeds

Lots of protein, very filling and yummy!! It also means I don't have to worry about running out of expensive protein shake as I can usually pick up cottage cheese pretty cheaply. :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt, vanilla whey isolate powder, frozen berries. and a little water.

nice to meet another banana-despiser.
  • MFPelr
    MFPelr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do either a Vega One meal replacement shake (160-170 calories) or Isagenix shake every morning (240 calories). Isagenix taste better but also has a ton more sugar in them, whereas the Vega One shakes are amazing in what you get from them, including probiotics, veggies, greens, omegas and 20 grams of protein. It takes a bit to get used to the taste cause of the greens :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes or any smoothies can be part of a diet whilst you lose, maintain or gain weight. It all comes down to your daily/weekly calorie intake.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My current favorite:

1/2 cup (123g) pumpkin puree
    100g Greek yogurt (I usually do vanilla or pumpkin flavor)
    1/2 cup cashew milk
    1 apple (I use bananas, too, but apple works nicely)
    Pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp vanilla
    Ice cubes

No protein powder necessary if you don't want to use it.
    Sometimes I will also add 1 serving of rolled oats to this.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's shake has -

1 cup spinach
    1 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
    1 tablespoon nut butter
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    Ice cubes.

Today's had -

2 cups kale
    Half a banana (sorry lol)
    1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup of blueberries
    1 tablespoon hemp seeds
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup water.

My bananas aren't sweet enough to sweeten the shake though, so I added honey for sweetness.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I play around with different combinations, why not try that and see what you like. I make sure to have protein, since that makes it filling for me and helps me meet my overall goal, and I also add vegetables and some fruit (more veg than fruit since that's consistent with my overall nutrient goals), and at least a little fat (usually from nuts or dairy).

An example is a serving of protein powder, some Fage greek yogurt, some homemade cashew milk (this includes the cashews, so has more calories than non homemade, but also healthy fat and a little protein, and is delicious), a lot of winter squash (cooked in advance and chilled, lately using spaghetti squash which is pretty neutral, used different other ingredients and some spices with pumpkin and butternut), lots of kale, green pepper, and some strawberries.

Sounds weird, but it's delicious. I've also enjoyed using goat's milk or yogurt for the dairy, powdered peanuts instead of cashew milk, hemp hearts instead of nuts, many different herbs and spices, cauliflower or summer squash instead of green peppers, any greens (of course), and for the fruit I will use any berries, mango, pineapple, and in the summer was using whatever was in season (I like pears and peaches and melon). Some ended up tasting better than others, but the experimenting is fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was looking for more of a fruity one but if a protein shank is better for weight loss then I'll definitely try it! Thanks!

A protein shake isn't "better for weight loss"...there's no such thing. Weight loss and weight management in general is about energy balance...consume a balance of energy and you maintain...consume an excess of energy and that energy is stored as body fat...consume a deficiency of energy and body fat is oxidized to make up for the deficiency.

Also, a protein shake is just a protein supplement...it's really not sufficient as a meal replacement which is what it sounds like you're looking for...meal replacements have a nutritional profile that includes a variety of nutrients...a protein shake is just protein...it's only meant to supplement protein if you're not getting enough in your food.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

What's best for weight loss is something that helps keep you under your calorie goal for the day. You'll have to try a few options to see what works best for you at keeping you satisfied, hitting your macros, and not putting you over your calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My breakfast often includes a shake of protein powder. For weeks I used 8 oz milk. Then for months I used 4 oz milk and water. Now for days I've used 4 oz kefir and water. It's all good.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP is looking for is a shake that helps starve off hunger by making you feel full. I think that's what she means by "better for weight loss." Because obviously if you feel full you won't want to eat more. I don't know too much about shakes for that but I know they exist. (Maybe something with high fiber?) I just drink a carnation instant breakfast chocolate shake each morning and I think it fills me until lunch. But that might not be enough for everybody.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My son just devised a protein shake that was wonderful. He uses half of a banana but you could substitute any frozen fruit or leave it out altogether. He buys a whey protein isolate with no sugar in it - chocolate flavor (one scoop) and adds 3/4 of a teaspoon of PB2 (peanut butter poweder - no fat) with lots of ice cubes and cashew milk (plus the fruit). He puts it in a magic bullet and blends until thick and frothy. Now I hate protein powder but he insisted that I taste it and i wanted to lick out the cup. The whey protein he uses comes from Walmart and is the only one I have tasted that is palatable to me. They have two but the one he uses is more expensive (figures) and is about 150 calories per scoop.