Needing low calorie, fulfilling recipes please!

Options
hallen81013
hallen81013 Posts: 28 Member
Hello all!

I am back with a whole new frame of mind. Something just clicked and I want this weight loss to be lost for good! I was here a year or two ago and really struggled. This time I FEEL different.

I've been doing really well the last few weeks but, I do not want to get burnt out on the few things I do eat to keep my calories low but, fill me up. If you would be so kind to share any somewhat easy recipes that have chicken, beef or pork (not a seafood fan unfortunately), I would greatly appreciate it! I am not a wiz in the kitchen so the less ingredients, the better for me! Thank you for your help!! Side dishes are great as I love veggies too!! :smiley:

Replies

• jacpell80
    jacpell80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am making chicken and sprinkling taco seasoning on it and I can make mine a salad whereas my family will get full course meal cause I will make sides for them
  • anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to roast a big pan of chicken thighs and drumsticks with various vegetables (onions, mushrooms, beets, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc. - whatever is in season and looks good) all tossed with a little olive oil, herbs and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, maybe even some curry). I can eat on that all week with some brown rice, or farro, or quinoa on the side.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    As far as sides, one of my go to sides is to take either asparagus or green beans and coat them with olive oil. I use about a tsp to a 12 Oz bag and mix them to coat evenly. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, basil, whatever and throw in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes until they start to brown. Then, lightly sprinkle with parmesan and cook for about 5 more minutes. With okra, it takes about twice as long to cook.

A while back a chicken tacos soup with chicken breast cooked in broth, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and tomatoes. Pretty good and really easy.

Turkey cutlets (like a turkey steak) are really good and easy to pan sear.

An open face "grilled chicken sandwich" on a portobello for a bun with reduced fat swiss.

This weekend I made soft tacos from 99% lean turkey and high fiber tortillas.

For breakfast, I usually cook chicken breast (or some other lean meat), egg whites, and mushrooms and then top it with salsa. Since my wife gets tired of eggs, I also make pancakes from whey protein and coconut flower and top with sugar free syrup. I can post the recipe if you are interested.
  • hallen81013
    hallen81013 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for posting those! I look forward to trying some new things. :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is very low calorie, and can be used as sub for pasta/rice/potatoes. I find volume eating with it goes quite well, and definitely leaves me feeling full and satisfied.
    Tons of things you can add it to as well.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I made these honey balsamic roasted veggies this weekend. I always roast veggies for 15-20 min longer than the recipe says because I like them really caramelized. They are 193 calories per serving and are so good that I've been thinking about them and looking forward to them all day. So glad I doubled the recipe. I'm going to eat two servings with some shrimp for dinner tonight. Very filling!

EASY ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH HONEY AND BALSAMIC SYRUP

Author: Kevin | Keviniscooking.com
    Serves: 4
    INGREDIENTS
    ½ lb brussels sprouts, halved
    ½ lb cut carrots
    ½ lb halved small new potatoes (white and purple)
    2 large shallots, quartered
    3 tbsp olive oil
    ¾ tsp kosher salt
    ½ tsp ground black pepper
    2 tbsp balsamic syrup
    1 tbsp honey
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or use a Silpat silicone baking mat.
    In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes and shallots with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to coat thoroughly.
    Transfer the vegetables to baking sheet and roast until tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
    Place roasted vegetables back in bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, balsamic syrup and honey and toss to coat evenly. Taste and season with kosher salt if necessary and serve.

http://keviniscooking.com/easy-roasted-vegetables-with-honey-and-balsamic-syrup/
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I made these honey balsamic roasted veggies this weekend. I always roast veggies for 15-20 min longer than the recipe says because I like them really caramelized. They are 193 calories per serving and are so good that I've been thinking about them and looking forward to them all day. So glad I doubled the recipe. I'm going to eat two servings with some shrimp for dinner tonight. Very filling!

EASY ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH HONEY AND BALSAMIC SYRUP

Author: Kevin | Keviniscooking.com
    Serves: 4
    INGREDIENTS
    ½ lb brussels sprouts, halved
    ½ lb cut carrots
    ½ lb halved small new potatoes (white and purple)
    2 large shallots, quartered
    3 tbsp olive oil
    ¾ tsp kosher salt
    ½ tsp ground black pepper
    2 tbsp balsamic syrup
    1 tbsp honey
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or use a Silpat silicone baking mat.
    In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes and shallots with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to coat thoroughly.
    Transfer the vegetables to baking sheet and roast until tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
    Place roasted vegetables back in bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, balsamic syrup and honey and toss to coat evenly. Taste and season with kosher salt if necessary and serve.

http://keviniscooking.com/easy-roasted-vegetables-with-honey-and-balsamic-syrup/

This recipe looks like heaven in a roasting pan. Thank you for sharing!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The MyFitnessPal recipe blog includes macros and calories:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/main-dishes/
  • sweed1
    sweed1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could do a twist on Teriyaki Chicken. I weight the chicken, so I don't go over a serving, and cook with teriyaki sauce, measure the sause for one serving. Then, sautee cabbage with 1 tbsp olive oil and add some pepper. A serving of cabbage is one cup.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    here's a few more ideas... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10468375/favorite-healthy-filling-foods#latest

bean soups
    turkey chili
    a pan of roasted veggies is great. roast with a little olive oil and s&p. Can drizzle a little balsamic on it after if you want. Lots of roasted veggies are good... cabbage, carrots,zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, etc.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    So many ideas! I often roast vegetables and eat as a side dish or add to a grain or pasta. I also have come to love beans, lentils and soups. You can eat a larger volume of food for less calories than a steak and potato.

I make black bean soup, roasted butternut squash soup and red lentil soup. Or white beans, greens and a bit of spicy italian sausage with chicken stock and a few vegetables makes a filling soup. Red lentils make a fantastic soup with red curry paste and coconut milk.

Most soups start with the same ingredients so you can make two at a time. Onion, carrot and celery.
  • lizzybee911
    lizzybee911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Giant sells an organic tomato roasted pepper soup- just 110 calories I add quinoa and veggies to it and a sorinkle of low fat cheese. heavenly
  • Boyer6605
    Boyer6605 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like doing taco salads for lunch with lettuce, turkey taco meat and salsa for the dressing. I have that a few times a week because it is so quick and easy
  • 11thChakra
    11thChakra Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just made this tonight and it was so good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12942/italian-sausage-soup/

I used low sodium veg broth instead of beef and 2 cloves of garlic.

Also, I found it made 8 servings (or could).

Enjoy!