Being Honest with myself

Options
Hello everyone, looking for some accountability friends- but first, about me.

I'm 25 y/o in physical therapy school and recently married. I struggle with depression on overeating- food tastes good and I unhealthily have been using as a means of coping. My self-esteem is at an all time low (gaining weight certainly hasn't helped). I want to get back to a healthier weight , the process (along with counseling) I feel like will help me get out of the depressive state that I've found myself in.

Again looking for positive accountability friends on this site to help each other reach our goals.

Replies

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me. I'm in a similar place! Time to change things up :-) I would like some positive energy also x
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Getting counseling is a good first step. The second step is to not judge yourself based on "where you should be" or "I'm horrible because I did X wrong." Rather focus on where you are and where you want to go. The end goal of this is to be happy and healthy. If a bad day happens (and it will) dust yourself off and keep moving, don't stop and say "oh I failed I'm a horrible person, I can't continue."
  • Mward614
    Mward614 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments, zorander6 I completely understand what you're saying. And I'm working on getting to that place- but it first takes me recognizing that I'm having that negative self talk to stop it in it's tracks.
  • cocoastral
    cocoastral Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    would love to have some accountability friends too! depression/overeating has been a factor for me too. let's all keep each other in check but in the friendliest way we can :)
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things I learned from MFP was just how much I was lying to myself. "Oh, I can eat this piece of pie...I've eaten well for the last three whole meals!" Except, A: I probably didn't eat well for those meals and B: three meals?! Like that's any sort of track record.

Anyway, it was really hard to face and accept, but dealing with that has been a game changer for me. Since I started to hold myself accountable with daily logging I've lost nearly 120 lbs and I hope you might find similar success!