Feeling sad when I look in the mirror

Options
I recently lost too much weight due to past stress, and I have been trying to gain it back now that I feel better. However I wish I could just instantly get my old body back. The Weight gain has been so slow and every time I look in the mirror I feel like I look dangerous unhealthy. It makes me so sad and frustrated. This frustration even made me go to a buffet for lunch and totally binge. How do I stay happy when I hate my body. Also I am mad at myself for getting this way. Any support?
Btw I am going to therapy

Replies

• OrlaKane339
    OrlaKane339 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi Hannah,

I suppose I'm somewhat different in the fact that I'm trying to lose a lot of weight but I can totally relate to your issues around being unhappy with your body. Very glad to hear you are getting professional help. That's the first step towards a stronger you and in 6 months time I'm sure you will be a stronger, happier and healthier version of yourself.

For now, just take one day at a time and enjoy the little things, every pound you gain can be a success. I'm a really new member to MFP but I'm so excited by what I've seen so far in terms of friendships and support. Definitely lean on the community during those bad days!!!

Wishing you all the very best of luck on your journey and keep your chin up.

Xxxx

Orla :-)
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hannah, if you lost a lot of weight quickly you probably lost some muscle. You may want to do some strength building exercises to gain the muscle back. It is much easier to gain fat than muscle if you aren't working at the muscle. Unfortunately if you lost muscle and gain back only fat it will become easier to gain more fat over your former weight.
  • realsammysalamander
    Options
    I don't have any advice. I'm sorry you are feeling that way. I hope you reach your goals and feel better about yourself soon. Let your therapy help you; you can get there!
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You're angry with yourself and the situation. I think that is normal but beating yourself up about it won't change the past. You can only move forward. Think of strategies you can use in the future to prevent this happening again. Forgive yourself for messing up and do what you can to repair things.

Maybe try to reframe the current situation? Look at it as an opportunity to rebuild your body the way you want it?