If an average apple weighs .33lbs, would you gain .33 lbs?

Options
Silly silly question but yesterday I ate within my calorie limits of 1600 but I had a huge appetite for apples and had 5 of them :/ yesterday I weighed 124 and this morning I'm 127? I'm also breast feeding a 3 month old if that has anything to do with it

Replies

• airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wight goes up and down depending no one day changes you it is consistency over the long term. likely it is water weight. Just look to the future and no you are doing your best
  • motolady11
    motolady11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Also what ddes a food scale do
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations day to day are water weight or food in the system and not anything to worry about.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    There's fibre in your digestive system right now that's not going to hang around. Water retention varies too. An apple is unlikely to cause water retention but something else you ate or did might have. Depending on the type and size of Apple you had you were probably around 300 calories. Less than a tenth of a pound.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,903 Member
    Options
    motolady11 wrote: »
    Also what ddes a food scale do

A food scale allows you to weigh food and thus determine how many calories are in whatever it is.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations, water retention. Also not sure on your stats but 1600 seems a bit low for breastfeeding a 3 month old.. but as long as your supply isn't affected
  • motolady11
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Fluctuations, water retention. Also not sure on your stats but 1600 seems a bit low for breastfeeding a 3 month old.. but as long as your supply isn't affected

5' 9" is it too low?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Aren't you the one who was recently fussing over 2 pounds and weighing yourself at 2 in the morning?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

5' 9" is it too low?

Going by BMI, 124lbs at 5'9" is just barely underweight. 127lbs is just barely into normal range. Are you trying to lose or maintain? Please maintain, do not lose.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Did these apples add many more carbs to your day than normal? If you did not properly weigh them you might know this answer.

But anyway, weight fluctuates (female hormones, carbs (more or less than normal), sodium (more or less than normal), sleep, muscle repair, hydration or lack there of), etc...

Do not stress about apples or this minor blip on the scale, you cannot gain fat like this over night.. Embrace the fluctuations cause they are there in one form or another daily, weekly and monthly..

And 1600 seems low btw.. and why are your trying to lose more.?
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @PixelPuff I love this YouTube video. When people ask me how I lost the weight and then immediately reject the idea when they find out it involves some work, I 'll then describe this video to them. A really eye opener with a big "wow" factor.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    After reading several of your posts saying pretty much the same thing, you may want to see a professional since we can't help you
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    @PixelPuff I love this YouTube video. When people ask me how I lost the weight and then immediately reject the idea when they find out it involves some work, I 'll then describe this video to them. A really eye opener with a big "wow" factor.

I just posted this in another thread, I'll quote it here since you mentioned it. I tried to make the most basic explanation of calorie counting and why it works in the most common-sense way. xD

But yep. I have that youtube video bookmarked for just such occasions!
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I'll put it this way...

If you were to eat more of the food you normally do, you would gain weight, right? If you were to eat less of the food you normally do than you would lose weight. That is what calorie counting is, pretty simple. n___n

Even if you didn't change what you ate at all, eating a higher quantity would result in more calories. You would gain weight. If you didn't change what you ate at all, but ate a lower quantity of it, you would be taking in less calories, resulting in a deficit & weight loss [unless your regular eating pattern was majorly overeating, where you end up with just slightly less of a surplus instead of a massive one].

You don't need fad cleanses, 'diet supplements', etc. Many are to be used in conjunction with a caloric deficit anyway - it is how slimfast works. You replace a meal with a shake or bar thing. The meal you WOULD have eaten would be higher in calories than one of the bars or shakes, instantly lowering your would-be calorie intake. Etc etc.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Immediately after eating the apple that weighs a third of a pound, you will gain a third of a pound of apple weight. Then your body will break the apple down into its separate parts. Most of the apple weight is water, which you will pee out fairly shortly afterwards.

The fibre will go into your digestive tract and work its way out by the following day. The vitamins, minerals etc will be distributed to where they are needed. The sugar will turn into blood glucose and either be burned for energy, or if you have eaten more than your immediate energy needs, stored as glycogen (starchy stuff in your muscles and liver), or possibly, if you have significantly overeaten without taking in much fat, converted to fat (generally, though, your body prefers to store fat as fat and carbs as carbs and will only convert if it really has to).

The final change in fat stores has little to do with the weight of the original apple, but with how much energy (calories) were contained in it and all the other food you ate that day, versus how much energy you burned.

Your change in weight today is probably a random change in how much water you are retaining, which happens all the time, especially when breastfeeding. It is not far gain and it's not worth worrying about.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not to be crass, but.... if you eat a bag of apples, those apples are going to be "weight" until you (ahem) go to the bathroom. Its like you are still physically carryign them. But its not like you "gained weight" the moment you ate them.

This is why obsessing about tiny scale movements is not just counterproductive but damaging.
  • motolady11
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Aren't you the one who was recently fussing over 2 pounds and weighing yourself at 2 in the morning?

2 pounds isn't a lot but if it is continuous gain then it could become a lot, and I did it one time because I was curious.

Also no to those asking if I'm trying to lose I'm not I'm just trying to maintain in the mid 120s
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options

2 pounds isn't a lot but if it is continuous gain then it could become a lot, and I did it one time because I was curious.

Also no to those asking if I'm trying to lose I'm not I'm just trying to maintain in the mid 120s
    I would suggest using something like trendweight (website) or HappyScale (app) to monitor the trends in your weight instead of worrying about daily fluctuations. I can swing 5lbs in a day...

1600 seem low to me if you are nursing, you don't want to compromise your milk supply.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I would suggest using something like trendweight (website) or HappyScale (app) to monitor the trends in your weight instead of worrying about daily fluctuations. I can swing 5lbs in a day...

1600 seem low to me if you are nursing, you don't want to compromise your milk supply.

I like Happy Scale too - it takes the worry out of up & down fluctuations for us daily weigh people.