Food Shopping help

Options
I'm going shopping on Thursday and I need some help. I don't have a clue to get.

I need to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies, but (as weird as it sounds) I don't know what to get^^ I also need to eat 4 servings of low fat diary. Oh and I need some breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner food shopping ideas.

Thanks^^

Replies

• noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the store ~ most of the bad stuff is down the aisles! Fresh fruit, veggies, fresh meats & dairy products are always located on the outer rim of the store. If you stay there, you will be okay! Good luck & don't shop hungry ~ have a filling snack before you go so you don't make bad choices.
    :wink:
  • nelsonmo
    nelsonmo Posts: 10
    Options
    Eggs subtitute for breakfast,and it tastes great.they have different ones you can choose. what about nonfat yougurt that have 90 calories, or try light and fit which is 80 calories. a lot of fruits and vegetable. Maybe tuna with light mayo on a fflat bread. hope this help!!!. so many other to choose from.
  • brittanybee07
    Options
    Some staples I keep around all the time are:
    Apples, Oranges, Fresh or Frozen Berries, baby carrots, romaine lettuce, bell peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, low fat milk or soy milk if you are like me and cant do dairy, low fat or fat free yogurts, low sodium lunch meats, whole grain bread, oatmeal, shredded wheat cereal, almonds, ground flaxseed (goes great in oatmeal or on yogurt), frozen vegetables, frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, hummus, whole wheat tortillas...

These are great things that you can use on a day to day basis to create healthy meals and snacks. If you want more information on recipes and how to use these things please feel free to add me as a friend and I can help you create some healthy meal options!
  • ewegner
    ewegner Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    for dairy - try sargento reduced sodium cheese sticks, non-fat greek yogurt (awesome with fruit and a little honey), cottage cheese (with fruit for a snack), low fat milk. When fruit isn't in season, I get those Del Monte fruit cups - 100% juice for a snack and my fruit intake, bananas are an easy snack, as well as any hand-held fruit (apple, pears, peaches). For veggies, Prego has a Veggie Smart spaghetti sauce - you can add some italian turkey sausage and zucchini to that for a dinner with an extra serving of veggies right in the sauce! I usually get salad stuff (bag o salad, cucumber, tomato, peppers) and then asparagus, zucchini, carrots, brussel sprouts for side dishes with my dinner. Steam, bake, or broil to cook. My response is kind of zig-zaggy, but I hope you got some ideas from it that are useful! :) Good luck!

Liz
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Here's what I buy regularly:

Broccoli
    Baby Potatoes
    Mixed Peppers
    Onions
    Green Beans
    Lettuce
    Mixed leave Salad
    Carrots
    Beansprouts
    Mushroom

Oranges
    Bananas
    Plums
    Strawberries

Natural Yogurt
    Low Fat Butter
    Slimline Milk
    Low Fat Spread Cheese or Goat's Soft Cheese
    Philadelphia Light Spread Cheese Garlic & Herbs
    Egg Noodles
    Wholegrain Fusili

Chicken
    Salmon
    Cod
    Prawns

Chef Brown Sauce
    Tomato Ketchup
    Lighter then Light Mayo
    Dark Soy Sauce

Alpen Light Bars
    Nature Valley Granola Bars
    Kellog's Special K Bars

The I vary with some other stuff weekly but this is some regular stuff on my shopping cart.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shopping the perimeter of the store! Something I do with my kids to introduce them to new fruits and veggies is that I let/make them pick a new fruit we haven't had before so we can try it. You could try that if you don't have much experience with different fruits/veggies. We always keep bananas and apples on hand too.

low fat cottage cheese and yogurt are SOOOOO yummy! And adding fruit to cottage cheese makes it even better! Or some black pepper. MAN, talking about all this is making me hungry