5:2

Options
I just wondering, is anyone doing the 5:2 diet? If so, what are your thoughts/results so far?

Replies

• izzym310
    izzym310 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about intermittent fasting? If so I'm doing the 16:8
  • CirocBda
    CirocBda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What is the 5:2 diet?
  • laurenquincey
    laurenquincey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's where you eat healthily (1500-2000) calories 5 days a week and then 500 calories for two days of the week
  • marilena842
    marilena842 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've started it a month ago, need to get back into my favourite pair of jeans that got too tight recently ;) so I reckon my goal is losing between 5 and 7 kg. During this first month I've lost 2 cm on the waistline and 1 kg, so I'm quite pleased. I'm doing the 5:2 and also trying to fast for at least 12 hours (eating dinner quite early and/or having just coffee for breakfast).
    I could've lost a bit more, but I have a sweet tooth and I'm a good baker, so must've gone over the 2000 cal sometimes - couldn't be bothered to log everything on the days I wasn't fasting - but I'm trying to be more consistent with logging because I'd like to lose another couple of kg before the holiday season, hence I've downloaded Mfp.
    Bottom line, I like it. Personally, apart from my fondness for sweet stuff, I'm never too hungry so it's not too hard to follow and so far I've seen results. I'm not even having crazy sugar cravings, which is a plus.
    The only downsides are that on fast days I'm usually cold and also the occasional headaches/dizziness/nausea but you can deal with both by drinking something warm and salty, like a cup of miso soup, water with marmite, or veggie stock.
    And you need a bit of planning because the biggest mistake you could do is cooking on a fast day!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In that example, those "healthy" amounts of calories, even on this diet, could make me gain weight. xD When being lightly active, I maintain around 1,500 [shooooort].

2,000 five days + 500 two days is 11,000 calories/week. My maintenance; 1,500 seven days is 10,500 calories. I'd have a surplus of 500 calories each week, and slowly gain.

On the other hand, at my high weight, I maintained around 1,900. That is 13,300 calories/week to maintain.

That 11,000 calories/week is now an overall deficit of 2,300 each week. Nice loss.

If it sustainable for you, more power to you, but make sure you check your TDEE before deciding what to do for your regular days! n__n And make sure your average calorie count through the week is healthy [MFP warns against going below 1,200/day, which is 8,400/week in this context - but that is rather low for most people].
  • __HunterKiller__
    __HunterKiller__ Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have been doing this on and off for a couple of years now and it definitely works for me. Not sure if you are in the UK or not but check out the link below :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There is a Group here - 5:2 Fasting where you will find quite a few of us. Some are longtermers like me (since May 2013), others come and go.

I lost 28kg using 5:2 and I still use it to maintain. I also like the way a fast day helps get rid of any bloat due to overdueing it once in a while. Though 5:2 isn't for everyone, I like it, because I hate daily deficites.... There are quite a few People, who experience other health benefits, so it's not just to lose weight.

I agree with PixelPuff - I'm short too and on inactive days I'd gain quickly with 2000 cals on non fast days. I try to stay within my TDEE when I need to lose and can allow myself a little extra if I exercise or am maintaining.
  • laurenquincey
    laurenquincey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ahh that's brilliant thank you I have joined it now! Xx