What diet has really worked for you over the long run to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've lost 84 lb this year but this isn't a diet. All I do is eat Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper, using the MFP food diary to record what I plan to do and plan to get plenty of protein. I also use MFP to record the exercising I do, and I have done more exercising this year. I've even cooked some dishes I never tried before, and bought some books* I never would have heard of before. I've recently even learned to make traditional Neapolitan pizza dough and started culturing and consuming kefir. My weekend plans include my first attempt at culturing yogurt at home. But no, this isn't a diet. It's just a new life I'm living.

*Ken Forkish
  • bryandrain
    bryandrain Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The Run your A s s Off Diet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No diet. It's not complicated. I don't know why so many people feel they need to make it more complicated than it has to be. And then they fail...over and over again. You just need to pay attention to the amount of calories you are stuffing in your face, keep it at or under goal consistently, and that's it. I've been maintaining for more than 5 years now. :)
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of the egg fast? Has it worked for you?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nupururja wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of the egg fast? Has it worked for you?

A diet consisting of just eggs, cheese, and butter doesn't sound like much fun. I'm sure it would result in some short-term weight loss, but once you went back to eating regularly the weight would just come back.
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eating whatever I want within my calorie limit is basically the only thing that has worked for me in the long run for weight loss. I also like to eat as much "real food" as possible like meats, fish, whole grains, lots of veggies, greens, fruits, Greek yogurt, and make sure I get enough fiber and protein every day, and take vitamins. This is so I feel healthy. I also eat treat foods as long as they fit my calories so I don't feel deprived, but when I eat too many treats/sweets/processed/packaged foods I feel kind of gross and get acne breakouts. I also like to eat gluten free most of the time- I get bloated and my stomach hurts when I have gluten.

But you aren't really talking about the "long run" are you? You're talking about fast dieting for a specific event. That's kind of contradictory.

That's a very different goal and you're choosing to lose weight at the most stressful time of your life. At least the last couple months leading up to my wedding were stressful- and I was having just a small one (50 people) and had a wedding planner- still very stressful! I lost about 5 or 10 pounds before my wedding just by being stressed about looking pretty in my dress so I avoided any foods that I thought might put weight on me.

I also quit alcohol completely until the day of my wedding- that probably helped the most. But be careful to only have 1 or 2 drinks at your wedding if you do that, believe me you will not need or want more.

Good luck, but try not to put extra stress on yourself at this time with a weight loss goal on top of all the planning and impending major life event.

Hi, I have managed to lose 35 pounds since march this year and hence reached my last 10 pounds now. I work out daily 1.5 hours at the gym and also follow the 1200 calorie diet
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OP I am not sure why you have created three threads to day about cleanses/fasts, how to lose the last 10 pounds and now this one...

From working on your threads, you are eating 1200, exercising 1.5 hours a day and you have reached plateau. You are looking for and paying attention to all the comments and posts that point to ridiculous things for you to get there.

I posted something informative on your other thread, as I did not know this was about fast and rapid weight loss. I get needing to lose weight for your important day, but you should rethink your calorie goals and even the exercise if you will, and perhaps work on added stress you may have from planning a wedding and attempting to lose this weight.

You might not lose 10 pounds in one month, and most definitely cannot doing the method you are trying now as you have now reached an impeccable low or slow down in your weight loss now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The eat less move more diet basically.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what I have tried in the past CRON works for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRON-diet
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The one where I eat whatever the heck I want as long as I'm hitting my protein goal for the day.
  • deanne525
    deanne525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    tracking calories is what works for me. I tried it all...low carb, weight watchers, fad diets you name it. this time its eating everything in moderation but tracking everything and I added in an aerobics class 4x per week....down just about 35lbs!
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The chocolate diet
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nupururja wrote: »
    Eating whatever I want within my calorie limit is basically the only thing that has worked for me in the long run for weight loss. I also like to eat as much "real food" as possible like meats, fish, whole grains, lots of veggies, greens, fruits, Greek yogurt, and make sure I get enough fiber and protein every day, and take vitamins. This is so I feel healthy. I also eat treat foods as long as they fit my calories so I don't feel deprived, but when I eat too many treats/sweets/processed/packaged foods I feel kind of gross and get acne breakouts. I also like to eat gluten free most of the time- I get bloated and my stomach hurts when I have gluten.

But you aren't really talking about the "long run" are you? You're talking about fast dieting for a specific event. That's kind of contradictory.

That's a very different goal and you're choosing to lose weight at the most stressful time of your life. At least the last couple months leading up to my wedding were stressful- and I was having just a small one (50 people) and had a wedding planner- still very stressful! I lost about 5 or 10 pounds before my wedding just by being stressed about looking pretty in my dress so I avoided any foods that I thought might put weight on me.

I also quit alcohol completely until the day of my wedding- that probably helped the most. But be careful to only have 1 or 2 drinks at your wedding if you do that, believe me you will not need or want more.

Good luck, but try not to put extra stress on yourself at this time with a weight loss goal on top of all the planning and impending major life event.

Hi, I have managed to lose 35 pounds since march this year and hence reached my last 10 pounds now. I work out daily 1.5 hours at the gym and also follow the 1200 calorie diet

Good job on the weight loss so far, but as you are within 10 lbs of your goal it is not reasonable to expect to lose that much within one month before your wedding, not in a safe, healthy manner (although I'm gleaning from others and your posts that safe and healthy may not be your top priority).

The last month before a wedding is filled with all sorts of stressful last minute details... why add extra stress and create potential health and other issues (fatigue, hair loss, sallow skin, brittle nails) by engaging in unsafe aggressive weight loss tactics? Why not focus on eating at a moderate calorie deficit (including eating back some of those exercise calories) and eating foods which will provide balanced nutrition maybe even some vitamins for shiny hair and strong nails before your big day...

No one steps on a scale before they walk down the aisle. Focus on a healthy body and mind and enjoying your day, your honeymoon, and your marriage not on some arbitrary scale goal.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Eating foods I like and staying within my calorie "budget". It worked for me many years ago before the "low fat craze" and it's working again now that I'm older. I tried other approaches in between, but this is it for me. I can easily do this the rest of my life.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Calorie counting above all

Some form of intermitten fasting has been helpful in getting my hunger under control. Went from 16:8 to 5:2.