Whey Isolate vs Casein

Options
For those of you that use protein powders as a main source to hit your macros while eating at/near maintenance with hopes to reduce overall BF, can you tell me the differences in Whey Isolate and Casein protein? I use "Now sports Whey Isolate naturally unflavored" and love it mainly because being that it's unflavored I can add it to oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt etc and I don't get that awful protein powder taste I hate. I use 2-3 scoops of it a day (110cal 25gp per scoop) I put 1 scoop in my oatmeal in the morning post workout and a scoop in my midday smoothie and sometimes a scoop in some yogurt or something else I make around dinner.
From what I've gathered whey is faster digesting than Casein, but I can't say I exactly understand the importance of that.
My question is, how will I benefit from buying some Casein and incorporating it into my diet as well, and when, if at all is it more appropriate to use?

Thank you all

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For your needs, it doesn't matter at all.
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    ehaleyhoward2778 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    For your needs, it doesn't matter at all.

Can you explain?
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You're using it to supplement your daily protein needs, correct? A very basic breakdown of whey protein powder types:
    -whey concentrate is the most basic and cheapest to hit your protein goals
    -whey isolate is more rapidly absorbing and generally used post workout but can be used any time of day
    -Hydrolyzed whey (also in isolate) is the same as isolate but further broken down and more rapidly absorbed
    -Casein breaks down slowly and is digested over a greater period of time; recommended to drink before bed or over longer periods of time you will not be consuming protein

So in your context it doesn't matter, but I would use a regular whey to save some $.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, Alan Aragon had linked to a study once upon a time that showed Casein as being superior to whey for post workout protein synthesis, which is the opposite of what was expected. I'll see if I can find it.

That being said, whole milk proteins (20% whey, 80% casein) seem to outperform both on their own.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I use casein or pea protein when I want the slower release to keep me from starving during the day or rebuild muscle when I sleep and whey right after a weight lifting session when I want to feed my muscles fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can definitely feel a difference in the fullness factor between Isolate and casein. Casein keeps me fuller for longer, plus it mixes up thicker than whey isolate, so i choose casein.

As for the protein powder taste.. What brands have you tried? There are some yummy ones out there. My top picks are Optimum nutrition choc/peanut butter (Casein) and any of the Quest protein powders (Isolate+casein). Both make oatmeal taste so much better.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above responses, one potentially major difference could be a prolonged satiating effect of Casein.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    In addition to the above responses, one potentially major difference could be a prolonged satiating effect of Casein.

Yes. Casein is thicker and digests more slowly (and tastes better, IMO). I prefer the best of both worlds by using a whey/casein blend. I've been using Trutein and really like it, but I recently tried a few samples of Quest (also a whey/casein blend) and it's pretty good also.