Desperate mothers plea for help...

Options
I've been overweight my whole life but over the last few years I've become the biggest I've ever been. It's totally depressing and starting to cause me more health issues and complicate the ones I already have. Dieting is hard for me and I don't feel I have any support in loosing weight. Everyone in my household could afford to loose a few pounds but no one wants to do it, so it makes it hard when I see them eating and cooking all the foods I like. I've tried so many things I'm just running out of ideas to motivate myself. Any ideas or suggestions I'm desperate I need to be here for my family and if I keep this weight on me I won't be.

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Portion control is so important. You can eat with your family but you should find out what a correct portion of the food is and weigh or measure it. Make sure you log everything you eat I have logged 5 chips, it was a small amount but I ate it so I logged it. have a cookie or a piece of cake don't restrict yourself from eating what you love that can lead to binge eating and you don't want that. Log everything and be honest if you go over on calories remember that it is not a failure because weight loss is a long process and has it's ups and downs but tomorrow is a new day. Just focus on portion size and try to stay at a calorie deficit.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard to turn away from abundantly eating all the foods and snacks you love, but it feels so much better when you are taking care of your health. And maybe your family members will see you take charge of your health and they'll become motivated to make change themselves.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but you have to be ready, mentally, to do it. No one in my house has EVER needed or wanted to lose weight. It was very hard when my kids were younger. But I just have to say NO to a lot of things. I am also the cook in the house and they eat what I make. I generally try to make normal foods but I eat much smaller portions. I did have to stop making things like mac and cheese and tater tots and all that wonderful junk because my portions would have been SOOO tiny.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Cook your own food. Eat your own food. Wash your own plates. You win.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can eat the same foods just change to the appropriate portion size. Add more vegetable to your plate.
    Log your food as accurately as you can. Stick to your calorie deficit.

In my house I feel I have enormous control over food. I plan the meals, I make the grocery list, I cook the meals. I prelog my food for the whole day. I eat food I like every day. I plan snacks. We eat out 1 meal a week and I plan my order there too. My family eats the same food they always did and so do I. It is very sustainable.
  • strawberrydelight82
    strawberrydelight82 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and suggestions.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How are you doing OP?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm a mother of 2 boys under 3 years of age. I'm 5'3 and started at 290 pounds. That's pretty friggin big. (Currently 222.2)

I started my journey in mid April after reading a comment that changed my life. "Why can't you eat a chocolate bar if it fits in your calories? You can!"

In the past I had tried restrictive diets like LCHF, strictly "clean" eating, and they all resulted in a trip to BINGE town and I always gave up after.

This time I told myself time was going by either way. I dropped the idea of losing the weight quickly and adapted an attitude that a year goes by wether I'm fat or losing some weight.

I focus on hitting my protein goal now (didn't at first) & the rest is fair game. I enjoy chocolate & carbs. They aren't going anywhere. Now I just PLAN for them.

It's been a little over 6 months & I'm down 67 pounds. And that's with going over my calorie limit on occasion.

Focus on hitting your calorie goal first. Macros (carbs, fat protein) & healthier choices will naturally come when you start making choices about what's more satisfying and worth the calories.

And USE A FOOD SCALE. No, seriously. You need one.

Really solid advice
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Look up websites like skinnytaste for tasty recipes that have much less calories than the 'real' thing. Buy more fresh veggies and fruit and less cookies/candy.