coffee!!

Options
I like to have my coffee in the morning and can't drink it without at least a flavored creamer, which is around 30 calories per tablespoon (and I use more than that). Sometimes I'll get a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks which is still 90 calories, and I'm limited to 1200 calories a day so the latte kind of takes a toll on my breakfast! Are there any suggestions for a low calorie way to make my coffee taste good??

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon stick? Don' know if it will compare.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I add protein shakes to mine. It adds the chocolate and sweetness I like. I'm less worried about the calories from it than I am the amount of fat and sugar my creamer added.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have seen flavoured stevia drops, which would sweeten and flavour, but no creaminess. I haven't tried them, but may pick some up the next time i'm at the health food store. Has anyone tried them?
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I buy sugar free calorie free flavored coffee syrup. Torini is one brand I get something like DiVinci or something alond that line. I put one once of that and a splash of fat free half and half. mmm tasty
  • BMW6Series
    BMW6Series Posts: 124
    Options
    There is almond milk and similarly there is hazelnut milk. I liked hazelnut milk in my coffee.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Please someone......have a good solution to this problem!!!!! Before MFP, I was drinking two Carmel mochas each day......oh my, do I miss them. I will occasionally buy skinny, but it's just not the same. How can we make good ones at home???
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half and half, (20 cals for 2 tbs) plus a teaspoon of honey (15 cals). I brew my coffee with a cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon in with the coffee grounds, (no cals). You can also add vanilla extract to your coffee, (no cals).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I use about 1/4 cup of skim milk and splenda. And good coffee. I can't have crappy coffee without the flavored stuff but if i buy the good Kona beans and grind them, milk and splenda is just fine.
  • StephanieBLucas7
    Options
    I was the same way until my mom told me about Dunkin Donuts coffee. Dunkin donuts makes some very tasty home brewed coffees. I typically buy the hazelnut or the french vanilla and make a pot each morning before work. The flavor is strong so I did not need the flavored creamers anymore. I also can get away with one teaspoon of sugar and a quarter of a cup of skim milk so my 16 oz of coffee ends up being around 60 calories (mainly due to the milk.... without the milk it is around 20 calories). I was very pleased with this as I am on the 1200 calories too.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My current favorite way to satisfy the coffee urge is using Starbucks Via, dissolved into skim milk, with about 1/2 tsp of sugar. Because it's dissolved into milk, it does have more calories than plain brewed coffee, but it tastes virtually identical to a latte! It satisfies me much more than plain coffee and I figure the extra calories are being spent on skim milk which is much healthier than other most other sweet pick-me-ups.

They now make flavored Via, which I haven't tried but I imagine it would save me the little bit of calories from the sugar i'm using now. I tried another instant coffee powder (can't remember which brand) and it wasn't as good as the Via, so I'm willing to pay more (still less than buying a latte). Plus, the Via dissolves in cold liquid as well as hot, so I can have iced coffees in the summer.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Buy quality coffee, grind it yourself, and brew it properly. You won't need any additives or flavorings.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I would go through about two bottles (the 32 oz size) of International Delight or Coffee Mate creamers a week. I love coffee and I like it to taste good. I have now cut back to having two tablespoons in my morning cup of coffee. Admittedly it is not the same but it is amazing what you can get used to. This has 70 calories from the cream.
    Instead of getting an Iced Caramel Swirl with extra cream from Dunkin Donuts (mmmmmm...caramel sitting on the bottom) I order a medium iced coffee with skim milk and 1 1/2 sweet and low. Both coffees together combine for about 120 calories.
    I actually prefer my coffees this way now.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Buy a flavored coffee and add skim milk and truvia. :) That is what I do! I love flavored coffee as well... Also. Starbucks sells sugar free versions of their vanilla/hazelnut. You could buy it and add it yourself.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Buy quality coffee, grind it yourself, and brew it properly. You won't need any additives or flavorings.

Ditto. I add cream on occasion if I really want it, otherwise I drink it black.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Coffee Mate Sugar Free Creamers are only 15 calories per TBSP (1/2 the calories).
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    You could always get a nonfat misto at starbucks, that's half brewed coffee and half nonfat milk if you add the sugar free syrup you're looking at only 60 calories, which on a 1200 a day diet that 30 could make a difference! :)
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee light and sweet, complete with a rim of sugar sitting on the bottom of my iced ones, and slowly weaned myself off the sugar.. Now all I add is a teaspoon of sugar free powdered creamer.. Also a friend on here told me that Splenda (i think) makes 0 cal coffee flavorings.. Also go for the flavored coffees, they're so many choices now!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

now i'm interested, how do you grind it?
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    They make sugar free coffee creamer that only has 15 calories per tbsp. I did not like it too much, so I stick with the 30 calorie, fat free stuff. I don't mind having a 90 calorie coffee seeing as I am not on a very low calorie diet. It didn't taste bad, though.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

now i'm interested, how do you grind it?

Most specialty store such as Bed Bath And Beyond have grinders...so do Target and Walmart...fairly cheap. I use a burr style grinder...a bit more expensive but it brings out a bit more oil (ie: flavor profile) and they last longer than the blade styles. Do a bit of research and see what you like, it's all about personal preferance. I also use a French Press and not a coffee maker....when I camp I use a percolator to brew my coffee.