Sister Attempted Suicide...

Options
My mom called me a little while ago and told me that my little sister is in the hospital. She took about 30 Aleve early this morning...thank God her friends called my mom. I am thankful that it wasn't Tylenol which could have sent her into liver failure. I am thankful she is okay, and will be getting the help she needs. She's being admitted for 5 days and then will take part in an out-patient program.

She is only 14.

I don't talk to her enough. I am feeling very bad right now. I just wanted to let her come to me when she wants to talk, because she said I was being overbearing before. I live about 7 hours away from her, so it's hard to visit while I'm in school. I just feel that if I had stuck with it, she wouldn't have felt the need to do this. I am so sad for her. I know she feels helpless.

Replies

• glorydays33
    Options
    I'm going through this with my brother right now, its really tough but thank God she is ok and still has so much life to live! Your in my prayers along with your family, if you need to talk I'm here
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    *hugs* I'm so sorry.... that's so rough to deal with. I hope she gets the help she needs, and realizes that whatever problems are going on in her life, they're temporary. I've seen too many kids go for a permanent solution to a temporary problem, like one of my niece's friends who killed himself because he got caught underage drunk driving and knew his dad would be mad. :brokenheart:
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness! I hope she's okay and gets the help she needs!

My prayers are with you & your family!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    *hugs* I'm so sorry.... that's so rough to deal with. I hope she gets the help she needs, and realizes that whatever problems are going on in her life, they're temporary. I've seen too many kids go for a permanent solution to a temporary problem, like one of my niece's friends who killed himself because he got caught underage drunk driving and knew his dad would be mad. :brokenheart:

Oh no... :( That is terrible. I think the hardest part is knowing her feeling of helplessness. I had many suicidal thoughts before I got treatment for my anxiety. She is so young to feel that lost.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Thank goodness her friends were there.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Suicide is a very scary thing to the family and friends of those who attempt it. It's really hard to understand. I know that I've had to deal with two suicidal teenagers. One told me that she was thinking about it and figured out that she really needed help. The other really hid what was going on and fortunately was found by her father who was able to get her to the hospital in time.

After therapy and support they are both doing much better. Last year, one of the girls and I walked together in an Out of the Darkness suicide prevention walk.

I'm sending positive vibes to your sister and your whole family. It's good that she has family and friends who are supportive.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So glad she is okay, and I truly hope she gets the help she needs very soon!
    My thoughts and prayers are with your family
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :( My brother had a time when he did something like that. Things have changed now though and are a lot better. I just was there for him during that time though. I would talk to him off and on. You just need to talk like a friend and not try to offer advice unless it is asked. Just be there for her. That is what worked for me.
  • bwilcox30
    bwilcox30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your current struggle. The only advice I can offer to you is "don't beat yourself up, this is not your fault". My mother tried to commit suicide when I was only 16 and I realize now that it had nothing to do with me. I hope that your sister gets the help and guidance she needs and the best you can do for her now is be loving and supportive. You and your sister will be in my thoughts.
  • Sumijain
    Sumijain Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers well and soon. It's an awful situation but you can't take all the blame for yourself - just be as supportive as you possibly can.
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    Awww I am sooo sorry :( I'm glad to hear that she is still alive and that hopefully when she gets out of the hospital and that program she will find some happiness. My best friend attempted suicide a few years ago and I felt like I could have done something to prevent it. So I kinda know how you feel...Add me if you want. I'll be praying for your sister and your family.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for you and your family. I went through that with my daughter when she was a teenager.
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your sister...Personally know what your going thru. I will keep you in my prayers.:frown:
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this. You shouldn't feel bad that you were not there.

I attempted suicide when I was 15. I felt like a big failure, just not good enough. I took 87 aspirin. Then I didn't even succeed at suiced and felt like a bigger failure!!

My parents didn't understand why I did it. They thought it was for attention. I did it because at that point in my life I truly wanted out. Life was tough, I just felt like a big mis fit and anything I did was not good enough for any one.

Best Wishes~Rhonda
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    im glad she is ok and will be getting help. All you can do is truly be there for her and let her know everyday you love her. The rest will be up to her. I wish you both luck. ((hugs))
  • shellybsn
    shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad she''ll be ok. Just remember she's responsible for her behavior and you whether or not you talked to her more or spent more time with her doesn't change the dark place she was in and her choices. She's getting the help now she needs from professionals. Please take care of yourself and remember our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thank you all... I hope that this situation brings about positive change for her... She and my mom don't get along at all, and her dad is an absentee. Recently she and my mom started having more time together at the recommendation of her counselor, which I hoped would help. My mom spends all her energy on her boyfriend who is very ill. Poor Cait just has her teenage friends, and they are pretty much the most unreliable kind.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i am very sorry to hear this. i work for the suicide hotline and so i have to hear about young people use suicide as a way to get rid of problems that often have very real solutions.

you and your family are in my prayers and i hope that you will all be able to work through what ever issues made her feel like this was the only solution.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Song, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. Take care of yourself and you and your family are in my thoughts. I remember being 14. It is a difficult time for a lot of kids.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    14 was a terrible age for me too. I don't understand why some kids are so cruel. :brokenheart: