Calories burned from Crossfit workouts

Options
Hi! I'm new to MFP and I want to track the calories burned from crossfit workouts. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can find that kind of info? Thank you!

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    There's no universal way to do it. You can try logging "strength training" or "calisthenics" under cardio, but those are generic estimates.

It's very hard to ballpark calories for anything strength-training related.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Crossfit workouts vary widely from box to box. I'd log it as strength training for however long the session went.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Maybe log as circuit training? Are you moving around a lot, or just doing sets of strength moves with rest in between?
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have done cross fit for years. I log as calestenics
  • jsj3607
    jsj3607 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looney9708, do you feel that the total amount burned is directionally correct? I'm struggling with what the tool is telling I burn in a 1 hr. Boot camp class (similar to crossfit). I feel like it's estimating approx.200-400 calories burned LESS than what I used to calculate on FitBit, as well as what my trainer tells me it should be calculating.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For the strength portion, I just log weight lifted and reps. I wear a heart rate monitor that I turn on for the WOD portion. I turn it off as soon as the WOD is complete. I figure that's the best way to keep me honest in actual calorie burn.
  • VKF5
    VKF5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Right or wrong I figure you're going to get the most accurate measure of calories burned from a good Heart Rate monitor. I use a chest strap sensor style since the accuracy of the wrist units is still considered questionable ... especially when you are doing very active workouts like crossfit.

That being said ... for me ... I've found that when I enter "circuit training high intensity" on myfitnesspal I'm usually +/- 5% when I average about 75% max HR during the workout. You'll only really know if it's accurate for you if you can do a sanity check with a HR monitor.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for a heart rate monitor, the easiest way to get an accurate estimation of calories burned.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I googled it and used the low range.