Obese... should I wait to strength train?

Options
Is it advantageous for me, at 258lbs with a ton of belly fat, arm fat, and back fat, to do strength training? I heard that strength training will tone the muscle, but I need to rid myself of the fat on top of the muscle first. i have been walking 4mph for 30 minutes as my exercise at this point. Do I add strength training now, or do I wait until I have lost more weight?

Replies

• takemeaway10
    Options
    Cardio is how you earn your calories that you can "spend" today. Strength training is your investment; put some energy towards it and you can reap the benefits at a future date. You won't be able to see them yet, but they will be working for you over time.
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not the expert, but on TV they start all sorts of exercise right away. I'm just doing whatever I can do and it is getting easier. Good luck!
  • SwtMelissa86
    SwtMelissa86 Posts: 165
    Options
    I say go for it..... I do both and i have less flab.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    building muscle burns more fat! definitely do cardio and strength training!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You need to be doing both, cardio and strength training. It is advantageous to strength train no matter what your size is because:

it raises metabolism
    increases endurance for the cardio
    helps you lose inches
    strengthens your bones
    tones up the loose skin as you lose so you don't have hanging skin after you've worked so hard to lose

Start out with 3 lb wts or soup cans and work your way up
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The sooner you start strength training, the easier the weight will come off. Start immediately.... don't wait.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    definitely strenght train. the more lean muscle you have the higher your metabolism revs 24 hrs a day. It will kickstart your weight loss and make your body much more efficient. I started when I weighed 300 lbs. i'm 244 now and i love lifting. It's challenging, it's rewarding, you burn calories while doing it and 24 hrs thereafter. so go forth and lift. you'll love how your body gets stronger and much more able to deal with the cardio and every day stresses of life.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Absolutely strength train now! Strength training promotes the growth hormone, keeps you young, keeps you healthy - SO MANY BENEFITS.

Building muscle will help boost your metabolic rate - but realistically it is very difficult to build muscle AND loose fat simultaneously. So why bother with strength training now? Because as you lose weight - if you do NOT strength train, you will lose fat AND muscle as the scale drops. You can minimize the muscle lost by strength training.

I highly, highly recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler - it's about $10 and is the best money I ever spent toward completely transforming my body. It's an easy read and clearly shows you how to develop and use an effective strength training work-out.

Good luck! And add me if you'd like!

Edited to add - lift HEAVY weights - the heaviest you can muster with proper form and do a set of 6-8 reps. If you can do more than 10 reps, the weight is too light. If you can not do 6 reps, the weight is too heavy.

Here's a link if you want to get started - (though I still recommend the book)

http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Why not? The more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolism will be. It's good for your heart and bones also.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The sooner you start strength training, the easier the weight will come off. Start immediately.... don't wait.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Definitely strenghth training is a good idea, as mentioned before it helps to boost your metabolism and will help your body burn calories more quickly when resting. There are reasons why they go right into it on the Biggest Loser, not only will you lose weight, but you will gradually become toned as you do. It may be advantageous to you to find someone to help train you or help you get started, but anyway good luck and I say yes to strength training.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat so start building muscle now! But don't be surprised if the scale doesn't move down fast enough for you, better to take your measurements and pay attention to how your clothes fit rather than the number on the scale.
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    Short answer is; no!

Get on it as soon as you can! :D The only strength training I get in my routine is what's included in 30DS, crunches, push ups and (now!) a few pull-ups throughout the day, but it seems to be working pretty well.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of videos that might interest you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-jnsG0Z7Y&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl0QiuoOHFk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDQVARSDNc&feature=related

I know I thought of these things as I started exercising and started to add strength training.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I started using a bowflex when I was still over 300lbs. You might not look cut in 6 months from strength training but you will feel stronger. I had to get out tonight and work in the yard and I am not hurting nearly like I used to hurt. This is because my core is now stronger an better able to handle the strain. I attribute this increased endurance to the way I am strength training.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Absolutely strength train now! Strength training promotes the growth hormone, keeps you young, keeps you healthy - SO MANY BENEFITS.

Building muscle will help boost your metabolic rate - but realistically it is very difficult to build muscle AND loose fat simultaneously. So why bother with strength training now? Because as you lose weight - if you do NOT strength train, you will lose fat AND muscle as the scale drops. You can minimize the muscle lost by strength training.

I highly, highly recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler - it's about $10 and is the best money I ever spent toward completely transforming my body. It's an easy read and clearly shows you how to develop and use an effective strength training work-out.

Good luck! And add me if you'd like!

Edited to add - lift HEAVY weights - the heaviest you can muster with proper form and do a set of 6-8 reps. If you can do more than 10 reps, the weight is too light. If you can not do 6 reps, the weight is too heavy.

Here's a link if you want to get started - (though I still recommend the book)

http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/

This.

Also, you don't HAVE to have weights and equipment to strength train. I strength train 3x a week without weights...using only bodyweight. I do a 5x5 rep format, and it's challenging enough that I have trouble completing the last set of 5 on any given exercise. If you or anyone else is interested, the workout routine is outlined on the first page of the link in my signature.

Cris
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely strength train!! The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn... this means that you will be burning more calories during your cardio workouts. I started out at 400 pounds, the beginning of April and started strength training immediately, along w/doing cardio. I've dropped 75 pounds over the past 3 months and I'm not getting saggy. I may get saggy as I lose more, but it won't be nearly as bad as it could've been.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    I've done almost nothing but cardio until now and I've lost 38 lbs since february. BUT.. If I had been weight training all this time, I would be in the shape I want to be in and I wouldn't be worrying about this vacation im going on for the rest of the month.

The best way to burn fat and lose weight is to have a healthy diet and mix of cardio and strength training.

Go to sports authority and buy the kettleworx set. Its a kettlebell and a 6 week DVD program. I had a little surgery last week so I was only able to do one day, but let me tell you.. I walked like I had a stick up my *kitten* for 3 days because my legs hurt so bad. That guy on the DVD is no f'n joke. The time flies too and the workout are actually pretty fun.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    several years ago, I tried strength training on my own (NOT knowing what I was doing) and I hurt myself. Last year, I bought some sessions with a personal trainer. He taught me how to properly strength train. I loved the results!

So I say go for strength training. But make certain to ask questions if you have them!