Logging causing great food obsession help!

Options
Okay so I was sick last week and didn't log my food. This week I've been very busy interviewing for new jobs. I've noticed that there think about food way less and haven't binged on crap at all. I am starting to think that the constant logging had me obsessing about food more. Constantly thinking about what I can eat, how much, when. Has anyone else had this happen and is it possible logging isn't right for me?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pre-logging and just following your plan? It makes everything easier in that regard.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Well, if you think it's a negative thing in your life, obviously stop doing it.

I think it is possible to become obsessive about just about anything if it is in your nature to do so. I think it is part of perfectionism or all-or-nothing thinking.

I've been logging food for years on and off. It only takes a few minutes, I don't mind it because it keeps me from over-eating. I kind of look at it as a necessity, though. When I don't log food, I go off the rails quickly. It's just a discipline for me, like making the bed. I have all my food entered into the system, I know in my head what I'm eating before I eat it - but the act of putting it to paper (or computer log) still helps me.
  • alush08
    alush08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have tried pre logging just doesn't work for me because I don't really food prep. It's just something about having to record a seeing the restriction in my face several times a day that causes me to want more. Maybe it's my anti authority traits rearing there ugly head, lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yes this can happen to some people.

I would suggest you stop logging.

Edited to add: You may not be able to just "eat intuitively" as some people put it, and so it's possible depending on your goals that you would want some sort of method to influence your dietary habits -- you'd just want one that doesn't involve you logging your food.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you simply eat without keeping track can you be successful at weight loss? I'd have to think not or you wouldn't have ended up here trying to lose weight in the first place, right? You'll need to devise a plan for yourself that will work for you without making you obsessive.

The thing about weight loss is that you have to be tracking something if you aren't good at regulating yourself naturally and most people aren't. On Weight Watchers you track points, on Atkins you track net carbs, on MFP you track calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's one of the biggest reasons I stopped logging...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If you simply eat without keeping track can you be successful at weight loss? I'd have to think not or you wouldn't have ended up here trying to lose weight in the first place, right? You'll need to devise a plan for yourself that will work for you without making you obsessive.

The thing about weight loss is that you have to be tracking something if you aren't good at regulating yourself naturally and most people aren't. On Weight Watchers you track points, on Atkins you track net carbs, on MFP you track calories.

While I do think that some form of tracking is beneficial for most people especially in the beginning, I would not say that you have to track in order to successfully lose weight.

Percision Nutrition has a pretty solid method that does not involve tracking anything.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes for some people this is a real thing.

It depends if you should quit logging or not. I do not know very much about you, but since you have described it the way you have, logging may not be right for you...

There are other ways to lose weight besides MFP and calorie counting and logging in a diary everyday.
  • nubianQueen02
    nubianQueen02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    logging is also a negative issue for me. I am a private home care aide and I've noticed that my elderly patients eat whatever the heck they want but in very small portions. when I prepare their meals, I always make sure that it is very balanced. that being said, I finally thought to myself that if I can do this for them to keep them health then there is no reason that I am holding back on doing this for myself. After 20plus years of dieting and I'm finally realizing that all I have to do is TRUST myself and my ability to make the best decisions for me and to control my actions. No one has to be accountable for me except ME. We tell ourselves that this is not easy. But wait, what if it is and we are making it hard with our unwillingness to allow discipline in our lives. sorry that I am ranting on but in some way typing all of this for you is actually helping me. I wish you the best on your journey and I would love to follow up with you at a later time. Hang in there sister, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    alush08 wrote: »
    I have tried pre logging just doesn't work for me because I don't really food prep. It's just something about having to record a seeing the restriction in my face several times a day that causes me to want more. Maybe it's my anti authority traits rearing there ugly head, lol

I really like logging and did it successfully for a year or more eating at maintenance, but seeing a deficit really messes with my mind too. I found that out recently when I tried to drop my calorie goal under maintenance, so my solution has been to set my calorie goal at maintenance and log my exercise without logging the calories burned. So basically I'm relying solely on exercise to create my deficit. Even though I know I'm in a deficit, not seeing it makes it manageable for me. Just an idea!