Can I still lose weight if...

Options
I eat not so good foods? I really would like to eat healthier, but the problem is being 16 I have to eat what my parents buy me to eat. Everytime I try to talk to them about it they always say "it won't hurt you to if you eat (pizza,candy,cake,etc.) every once in a while." However, in reality we have pizza like every week! I also want to get a scale to weigh my foods, but I am not sure how to go about asking for one. My parents will probably say I don't need it...So what should I do?

Replies

• victoriaheather
    Options
    I'm so sorry your parents aren't supportive. I know it is probably hard for you to get and make healthier foods without their support. I would suggest two things, first smaller portions and second just exercising as much as you can to help balance out some of the less healthy foods they are providing for you. Good luck!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Does your highschool have a nurse's office or a gym where you can weigh yourself? If not, use a scale at your friend's house, or even at wal-mart next time you're there! There's also many free health clinics you can go to :flowerforyou:
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Why don't you tell your parents that you are trying to eat healthier. How could they not support you in trying to have a more healthy life style... Go grocery shopping with your mom! Then you can work together to figure out healthy meals that you can all enjoy as a family. If not... If they really are not that supportive. Then ask for an allowance that you can use to go shopping for yourself.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I also sometimes have this issue. I actually bought a large 2 pound bag of tilapia (my favorite fish of choice) to have whenever they decide to have something like pizza or go out to eat, I just say well I have my tilapia to eat! Maybe you can try to find a food like that...your go to food when they decide eating unhealthy is necessary. Also, if you want to get more healthy food in the house, just bring it up casually...say if you want more fruit....just say hey I'm really craving some apples, can we get some next time we go to the store? Stuff like that. Work your way up to getting them to buy ALL healthy meals. I have the occasional "bad" meal with them, but I know if it's going to be really, really bad I either get a very small portion, or cook my fish! Hopefully they'll start being a little more supportive! But if not, there are ways to get them to get healthy food!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Another idea you could bring up is volunteering to make dinner every once in a while. Tell them you need certain things from the store so you can prepare dinner for them! I bet they would go for that. :laugh:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think your main problem at the moment is educate your parents. Most parents of teenagers are too afraid of their kids developing eating disorders like anorexia or something so they keep pushing for you to eat more, especially if they think you look healthy.

The main goal perhaps is to try and show them the science behind it, try to make them understand things like BMI and such and make sure their concerns are all answered and they are assured that you don't have a disorder but simply would like to be healthier.

In regards to your question though, yes it is possible, and in a nutshell your parents are right, if you eat some "wrong" foods every now and then it is absolutely ok, what matters is what you do consistently, however eating Pizza every week is consistent in my book. You can still loose weight if you exercise and burn more calories then you take in but when it comes to healthy nutrients you will still not have them and you may feel more tired and lethargic then someone with healthy eating habits.

Hope it helps.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do you have a job or an allowance? Maybe the next time your mom goes shopping you can go along and buy your own food. Luckily my parents were always thrilled when I asked for healthier food, and we all eat super healthy now. I'm sorry about your parents :(
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Set down and request to eat healthier. Go shopping with them and put stuff in the basket that is healty.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I wish that my 16 yr old son wanted to get healthier. I've lost 40 lbs in 6 months and you would think that it would inspire him. He sneaks food at night (so much so that I had to start locking all the food up in the house).

I would suggest going shopping with your parents. If that doesn't work, perhaps maybe get a part-time job and buy your own food (if it doesn't interfere with your studies). Maybe after your parents see you working hard at it they may a little more supportive. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You know what, I might get a lot of slack for this but if you just exercise everyday and just watch your calorie intake, eat what you want! You're 16!!! I mean, you know even at your age that you need to eat healthy foods at least some of the time. Enjoy your youth and just be active.
  • jomonster8u
    jomonster8u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's really rough, I'm so sorry. Have you tried to sit down with them and explain that it's really, really important for you and your health? They might not realize how serious you are about it. Another issue is, if they're overweight too, maybe you could encourage them to try and let the whole family eat better. It can be very economical eating at home and eating healthy.

As an alternative, you could ask if you could buy some lean cuisines and that sort of thing for when your family chooses to have pizza and really bad food, that way you can have something different without a lot of fuss. A lot of them are really good, just look at the labels closely. You can find them on sale all the time at target, walmart, etc. and get coupons too. They can end up being like $1 or $2 dollars a piece! That's a lot cheaper than pizza :D

As far as weighing, ask and if they won't let you get one, don't worry. Once you figure out your portions (use cup measuring if you're not sure, which your mom will surely have) you'll be close enough. If you're eating chicken and you need oz's, just always check when you go to the grocery store. It's usually labeled on there somewhere to give you a general idea.

As long as you're eating lean meats, staying away from heavy fats like regular butter and whole milk, and using veggies to keep your plate full, you WILL lose weight. Maybe when they see you losing even more they will come around. Goodluck, don't give up!
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    You know what, I might get a lot of slack for this but if you just exercise everyday and just watch your calorie intake, eat what you want! You're 16!!! I mean, you know even at your age that you need to eat healthy foods at least some of the time. Enjoy your youth and just be active.

This isn't accurate. Eating 1,400 calories of french fries and fast food burgers is not as healthy as eating 1,400 of lean meats and vegetables. It's NOT the calorie count that matters, it's the quality of the food.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Some times you have to be a little low key as to your healthy eating intentions. When you mention that you want to "diet"; to your parents they probably have alarm bells going off, thinking you are going to get an eating disorder or something. By all rights you are not on a "diet", nor should you be. You are trying to eat healthy and maintain or lose weight. Something 70% of American should do. I would say not to draw attention to yourself by using the typical "buzz" words, and try to eat less of what is offered, and try to queitly change your parents outlook, on what is really healthy, and what is not. Encourage them to buy more fruits and veggies. Who could argue that we all couldn't eat more fruits and veggies? It may take time for any appreciable changes to happen, but you are only 16, you have limited influence. Maybe you could volunteer to cook a meal of your choice one night a week? Slowly make the changes neccesary for yourself, and have your parents benefit from your wisdom along the way. Make it more educational and fun, and bring them around to a healthier lifestyle. I wish you the best.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Is there anyway you could see a doctor at all? I looked at your stats in your signature, and I'm guessing that if you're 203, you must appear overweight. Sometimes, it takes an authority figure to jolt people into changing. If a doctor tells your parents you need to get healthier, then maybe it will help them see you do.
    Otherwise, I suggest using your own money to buy food, and eat that instead. Maybe your parents will realize how dumb that is after a while and start buying what you'd like.
    Also, with the candy and cake - you truly don't need those. If they offer them to you, only indulge when you really want to. YOu ened other food, but not dessert always. I just looked at your food diary and it doesn't look like you eat all that bad. I would just cut out so many treats.
  • webbie93
    webbie93 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to try to sit down and talk with my parents tommorrow when I see them. Ideally, I'd love to do it as a family because we are all overweight. Hopefully all goes well!
  • reneepugh
    Options

This isn't accurate. Eating 1,400 calories of french fries and fast food burgers is not as healthy as eating 1,400 of lean meats and vegetables. It's NOT the calorie count that matters, it's the quality of the food.

I do understand all of this and I'm sure that isn't all she eats. I'm just saying that at 16, constantly critiquing yourself on what you eat is awful. When I was 16, I ate anything I wanted, I was just a very active girl. Please, everyone try to remember socially what it was like to be young. If she is more active, her eating habits will naturally change. Every teen eats pizza.
  • believetoachieve
    Options

I do understand all of this and I'm sure that isn't all she eats. I'm just saying that at 16, constantly critiquing yourself on what you eat is awful. When I was 16, I ate anything I wanted, I was just a very active girl. Please, everyone try to remember socially what it was like to be young. If she is more active, her eating habits will naturally change. Every teen eats pizza.

Agreed! :smile: Sorry, I thought you meant that she could eat whatever she wanted as long as she worked out (thats what I get for jumping to conclusions!). I'm an adult and I still sneak pizza and donuts in sometimes. :laugh:
  • reneepugh
    Options

Agreed! :smile: Sorry, I thought you meant that she could eat whatever she wanted as long as she worked out (thats what I get for jumping to conclusions!). I'm an adult and I still sneak pizza and donuts in sometimes. :laugh:

No, that is completely fine! I wasn't angry at all. That's what I hate about posts, a lot of times you can't tell someone's connotation. No apology needed :-)