Weight loss gimmicks

Options
I never thought I did the diet/weight loss gimmicks but after reading some of the questions on here I realized that I have done alot of them. Warm lemon water with with cayenne did it, slim fast shakes tried it, nutra-system spent way to much money on it, fasting, green tea, pills, and so much other crap looking for that magic product. I finally stopped and decided that I would just try to move more and watch portions. I was surprised when I started weighing and measuring everything, I never knew that a serving of Mrs. Butterworths syrup was 1/4 cup I use a tablespoon. My boyfriend always over estimated what he was eating and I started weighing and measuring his food for him he was surprised how much food he was allowed to eat a day. MyFitnessPal has made me realize how much I used the weight loss products and gimmicks, did anyone else look back and see all the time, money, and energy they wasted on gimmicks? With all the money I wasted I could have set up a nice gym in my basement

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Lol. Eye opening! But counting calories doesn't sell books :D

I thought I would never fall for those gimmicks and I think I have tried most of them. I use ideal shape shakes and bars now but not everyday and not to lose weight I use them when I don't feel well and can't stomach real food. Ideal shape did come with an ebook lol but it does have great snack and real food meal ideas I've made a few recipes from the book and even the kids like them. No more "magic" gimmicks for me!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ! But counting calories doesn't sell books :D

Nail on the head
  • Rebecca0224
    Options
    I have found that if it was on the Dr. Oz show it is worthless.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Yes! They were pushing Nestle Pure Life water. I looked on the ingredients and it is recycled "purified" city water. It isn't even spring water. It also had stuff added to inhance the taste.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options

Yes! They were pushing Nestle Pure Life water. I looked on the ingredients and it is recycled "purified" city water. It isn't even spring water. It also had stuff added to inhance the taste.

I have family members who liveby his word. He has monetary interests in many of the products he features, 200 years ago he would have been traveling from town to town with a wagon full of snake oils.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Remember that time when Dr. Oz was chastised by U.S. Congress for peddling snake oil on his TV show?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/dr-oz-congress_n_5504209.html

He's a complete fraud. He apparently was once a good cardiothoracic surgeon, but he sold his soul for fame and the almighty dollar to become a sleazy snake oil huckster.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I never thought I did the diet/weight loss gimmicks but after reading some of the questions on here I realized that I have done alot of them. Warm lemon water with with cayenne did it, slim fast shakes tried it, nutra-system spent way to much money on it, fasting, green tea, pills, and so much other crap looking for that magic product. I finally stopped and decided that I would just try to move more and watch portions. I was surprised when I started weighing and measuring everything, I never knew that a serving of Mrs. Butterworths syrup was 1/4 cup I use a tablespoon. My boyfriend always over estimated what he was eating and I started weighing and measuring his food for him he was surprised how much food he was allowed to eat a day. MyFitnessPal has made me realize how much I used the weight loss products and gimmicks, did anyone else look back and see all the time, money, and energy they wasted on gimmicks? With all the money I wasted I could have set up a nice gym in my basement

Yay, you, for learning better and admitting you'd been wrong!

My mistake was always just starving myself to lose weight. When I got there, I'd then start eating too much and get overweight again.

So lucky I found MFP, and learned that eating the foods I love while in a sustainable calorie deficit is the healthiest and most successful method.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I guess your definition of "gimmick" has changed.

You wanted to believe in magic and now realize it was just a hustle for your money. No one food item or drink is the magic elixir. It's all about consistent attentiveness to what you consume.

Common sense (counting calories) just doesn't sell.