help please! advise needed

Options
Hello, I started my weight loss journey at 318 on march 14th. As of today I'm 272, I've been 272 going on 3 weeks now. My diet is clean and I'm doing more cardio than ever. I also do weight training and my job is basically labor so i burn a lot of calories during the day. I'm not giving up but can't understand what the problem is.. can anybody give any advise?? Thank you

Replies

• carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Could it be that now you are building muscle??? I am not sure but I know that sometimes happens...take your measurements...did you take 'before" measurements?? Or go by how your clothes are fitting. Mostly, just keep working. You'll pass that plateau!!! Good job on how much you've lost already!
  • bulldog4life
    Options
    Change somthing!!!!Your body is use to whatever you are doing....Also muscle weighs more than fat. Pounds can stay but are you getting leaner, does clothes fit different. I say change it up...You have to confuse you body into loosing the fat. It wants to keep it, but you have to trick it. CHANGE IT UP!!!!
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    First, let me say congratulations on your successes so far and let me say that your positive attitude is great! It's so important not to give up when things start feeling hard.

It's hard to give you any specific advice without being able to see your diaries. Perhaps you might consider making them available for others to see? Without looking at specifics, I could suggest that your body might just have hit a dreaded plateau. Don't worry, this happens to everyone eventually and people usually come out of it if they keep plodding along, doing what they're supposed to. You might be able to break it by changing up your workouts and trying something new, since you might have gotten used to what you were doing before. "Zig-zagging" also works for some people, that is, eating slightly more one day and slightly less the next. It's supposed to confuse your body. Or something. *shrug*

My other suggestion is that you might actually be working -too- hard. Make sure you're eating enough for those large amounts of calories you burn! (And be sure to get in some rest, too.) Your body needs hydration, sleep, and recovery time to be at its best. You also didn't mention any strength training. Perhaps you should cut back on the cardio and consider adding some weightlifting to your fitness routine. It couldn't hurt!

Just a few thoughts. Good luck!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was just going to say that carebear...the best indicator is taking measurements..to see if thats budging..for instance...I have gained 1.5 pounds...but lost 7.5 inches during the same time frame..
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Change somthing!!!!Your body is use to whatever you are doing....Also muscle weighs more than fat. Pounds can stay but are you getting leaner, does clothes fit different. I say change it up...You have to confuse you body into loosing the fat. It wants to keep it, but you have to trick it. CHANGE IT UP!!!!

This is great advice! It is true! I would also suggest changing it up somehow :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    As another said - keep plodding along. If you are eating clean and have a healthy deficit (notice I said healthy) then the scale will move eventually. I've been at this for 6 months I've had at least 3 different occasions where the scale stalled for 3-4 weeks then started moving again.

Hang in there and keep at it. If you are truly eating clean and exercising and living a healthy lifestyle there is just NO WAY you can stay where you are, so remember that. You are practicing the habits of someone with a rockstar body and someday you shall have one of your very own!!! :D

In the mean time, I always recommend reducing sugars and sodium and pushing fiber and protein. And drinking TONS of water and NO sodas (not even the diet ones).

Let me know if you have questions.
  • treeman821
    treeman821 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise. I was a 44 waist I'm now a 38, as for weight training I do light weights with higher reps. I will change my routine. I'm shin splints are really mad at me anyway! Thanks for the advise :)
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Everyone has it right. Change your workout....your body adjust to the routine. Every 6 weeks or so - change it all up.

8682056.png
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had a plateau for a LONG time (weeks!) but I just didn't give up. Just kept at it. Finally, I took a week where I ate more calories and then the next week I did a lot of long walks, every single solitary day. It busted the plateau and 5 pounds came off. I think you sometimes have to keep your metabolism "guessing."
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body has become accustomed to your workout. Change it up. Have you tried circuit training?