Oatmeal diet!

Options
janekana
janekana Posts: 151 Member
Hey! I was thinking of doing an oatmeal diet, nothing too restrictive, just eating oatmeal for both breakfast and lunch while eating a normal meal at dinner. It's mostly because I love oatmeal and I find it much more filling than other low-calorie options while still being low-calorie-ish.

However, I know just oatmeal isn't nutritious enough, so I usually eat it with berries and fruits as well. In the morning, I always oatmeal with honey + flaxseed, and occasionally with oatmeal with blueberries + bananas + flaxseed. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions for berries or fruits to use while eating oatmeal, while still being nutritious enough to accommodate for daily nutrition. Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't know if you have access to them (especially now that they're out of season), but gooseberries are pretty nutritionally dense and very delicious. If you add a little bit of softened cream cheese, it goes really well with them and makes oatmeal even creamier.

Other nutritious stuff that go nicely in oatmeal: blueberries, elderberries, currants, actually all berries are pretty nutritious. Lemon with poppy seeds and a bit of lemon zest is nice. Apricots (can use canned, still very nutritious), oranges, sour cherry is very nice in oatmeal, for something tropical I love mango and kiwi oatmeal.

If you like and can afford protein bars, you could crumble some on top of oatmeal for extra protein (watch the calories though), you could simply add all kinds of protein powders for the same kick though I find it a bit tricky.

On days you have a heavy dinner planned, you could use flavored teas as a base instead of milk to save some calories.
  • janekana
    Options
    I don't know if you have access to them (especially now that they're out of season), but gooseberries are pretty nutritionally dense and very delicious. If you add a little bit of softened cream cheese, it goes really well with them and makes oatmeal even creamier.

Other nutritious stuff that go nicely in oatmeal: blueberries, elderberries, currants, actually all berries are pretty nutritious. Lemon with poppy seeds and a bit of lemon zest is nice. Apricots (can use canned, still very nutritious), oranges, sour cherry is very nice in oatmeal, for something tropical I love mango and kiwi oatmeal.

If you like and can afford protein bars, you could crumble some on top of oatmeal for extra protein (watch the calories though), you could simply add all kinds of protein powders for the same kick though I find it a bit tricky.

On days you have a heavy dinner planned, you could use flavored teas as a base instead of milk to save some calories.

Thank you so much, those are some great suggestions! Unfortunately I've never seen gooseberries around here (I don't think we have frozen options either), so I was wondering if you know other alternatives or would just other berries be a good alternative?

Also, I always make my oatmeal with plain water, much easier and cheaper, especially when the berries and fruits are already quite expensive! Thank you for the tip though, I might try it out with flavoured tea and see how it goes :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »

Thank you so much, those are some great suggestions! Unfortunately I've never seen gooseberries around here (I don't think we have frozen options either), so I was wondering if you know other alternatives or would just other berries be a good alternative?

Also, I always make my oatmeal with plain water, much easier and cheaper, especially when the berries and fruits are already quite expensive! Thank you for the tip though, I might try it out with flavoured tea and see how it goes :)

It doesn't have to be a particular berry. Any berries would do, they are all nutritious. To save money, you could even use canned mixed fruits. They don't lose their nutrition just because they're canned. Just make sure they're canned in light syrup or water pack (I prefer light syrup because it sweetens the oatmeal). Heavy syrup can be higher in calories.

Here are the facts for a cup of water packed fruits, they have a little bit of everything in terms of vitamins without having to buy all these ingredients separately which could be costly:

bx03hcrmn0rd.png
    1.PNG 3.5M
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I put anything I can find, dried cranberries (or any type of dried fruit), frozen mango, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax, dark chocolate chips, peanut butter, bacon, fried egg, sriracha - not all together of course.
  • Natshe2016
    Natshe2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been adding carrot, apple, nuts, cinnamon & nutmeg - it tastes like carrot cake. Or dates, banana & mixed spice = banana bread
  • kluyben
    kluyben Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with water, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, half a banana and a sprinkle of milk chocolate chips. Gives me my fullness ans sweet for the day
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Mmm this thread is making me HUNGRY! And it all sounds like dessert. Can't wait to start shopping for goodies to add to oatmeal.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was thinking of doing an oatmeal diet, nothing too restrictive, just eating oatmeal for both breakfast and lunch while eating a normal meal at dinner. It's mostly because I love oatmeal and I find it much more filling than other low-calorie options while still being low-calorie-ish.

However, I know just oatmeal isn't nutritious enough, so I usually eat it with berries and fruits as well. In the morning, I always oatmeal with honey + flaxseed, and occasionally with oatmeal with blueberries + bananas + flaxseed. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions for berries or fruits to use while eating oatmeal, while still being nutritious enough to accommodate for daily nutrition. Thanks guys! :)

Just wanted to say I just rediscovered oatmeal. Wow, is it filling. I'm eating a bowl of unsweetened oatmeal with sliced apple for breakfast and once in a while eat it for dinner, too, with a regular meal somewhere in there. It keeps me feeling full for hours. I agree, you can add all kinds of things to it.

• leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hershey's special dark cocoa powder, 10 calories for a tablespoon. A teaspoon of coconut oil makes it into Mounds bar flavor if you add stevia, sweetener or sugar. Oatmeal is so cheap and filling, I just love it.
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Natshe2016 wrote: »
    I have been adding carrot, apple, nuts, cinnamon & nutmeg - it tastes like carrot cake. Or dates, banana & mixed spice = banana bread

oh yum these sound so yummy!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I make a muesli mix. I use rolled oats, porridge oats, barley flakes, rye flakes, sometimes some wheat flakes, basically any grain flakes I can find. Then I add dried fruit such as cranberries, sultanas, raisins etc. And pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts and linseeds.

This is my base mix, and I can do it as overnight oats, cook it in the morning as porridge, or eat it as muesli as a crunchy cereal with milk. I usually add some fresh banana, or I buy frozen summer berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) or freeze whatever berries I can find, including blackberries I go pick myself with the occasional spider in there.

To all of this I add a big dollop of greek yoghurt and some cottage cheese. And sometimes a spoon of honey. It's my go-to breakfast, pre-race food, and sometimes works just fine for dinner.
  • LempiJanne
    LempiJanne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My choice would be overnight oats with a twist. You can add some grated ginger for a really nice fresh taste. In the morning just add banana slices and some berries (my choice would be lingonberry or cranberry). I found this in a Finnish food magazine and I've done several variations, they're all great!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    unrefined coconut oil is good too...if you like coconut
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I often mix egg whites into my oatmeal, after it's already cooked a while on the stove. It makes them fluffy and full of protein. Can make it savory or sweet.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Savory oatmeal! I make my oatmeal with broth instead of milk or water and serve a fried egg or two on top of it, and if there's room in my day, a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Sorry, I know you asked for berries and fruit. Just wanted to share this idea.
  • janekana
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    Savory oatmeal! I make my oatmeal with broth instead of milk or water and serve a fried egg or two on top of it, and if there's room in my day, a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

I've been thinking of savoury oatmeal but I'm uncertain on how well savoury food would sit with oatmeal. Does it make the taste weird or unsatisfying in any way? I also eat rice a lot and was wondering if oatmeal could substitute rice well or should I just don't bother?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »

I've been thinking of savoury oatmeal but I'm uncertain on how well savoury food would sit with oatmeal. Does it make the taste weird or unsatisfying in any way? I also eat rice a lot and was wondering if oatmeal could substitute rice well or should I just don't bother?

Savoury oats are awesome...I've done most of these and then some...

http://www.thekitchn.com/rethinking-oatmeal-7-savory-morning-recipes-177491

I love oats too, but I'm not sure I could hang with them for two meals per day...I eat them like 2-3 times per week.
  • Noisygrrl
    Noisygrrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could try Brotchan Roy (Irish Oatmeal Leek Soup) for lunch, if you are okay with a tiny bit of butter. One of my favorite St. Patrick's day meals (with LOTS of parsely to make it green.)