Walking with a double stroller...

Options
I have a double stroller and I walk up steep hills with it and it feels like a major burn but I don't have a fitbit. my children total 55 extra pounds in it as well. I'm around 140 so does anyone track a double stroller walk?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    cals per mile would be 0.3*total weight in lbs, so c65 cals per mile

That doesn't account for elevation

Rater than a step counter, which wouldn't account for the extra weight, try a phone app like Endomondo, Runkeeper or Strava.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Back in the days when I did have to push a double stroller, I only tracked the distance walked. Figured any extra from pushing that weight just helped cover any overages anywhere else.
  • ashleyfrancis8910
    ashleyfrancis8910 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My 30-40min walks with a double stroller, toddler and infant in car seat were always between 500-700 calories burned according to my polar watch. But I'm sure my body stats r way different than yours.
  • amanda_deanne
    amanda_deanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a double as well but I just track it as regular walking.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 128lbs and while pushing a 100lb double stroller with roughly 50lbs of toddlers and a 25lb baby strapped to me I burn a couple hundred calories in over an hour walked if the fitbit is to be believed. But I'm also a runner whose heart is trained way down and who walks everywhere so that may play in as well given my fitbit is an HR.

Honestly I wouldn't try to credit myself extra calories for the added resistance, seems an easy way to overestimate and start eating calories better left on the table. Count the base steps and make your life easier mama!
  • abertrand87
    abertrand87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! I think I will track it as regular walking and the added hills will be a safety net :smile:

also may look into those apps, Meanderingmammal!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I'm 5'9", 128lbs and while pushing a 100lb double stroller with roughly 50lbs of toddlers and a 25lb baby strapped to me I burn a couple hundred calories in over an hour walked if the fitbit is to be believed. But I'm also a runner whose heart is trained way down and who walks everywhere so that may play in as well given my fitbit is an HR.

Honestly I wouldn't try to credit myself extra calories for the added resistance, seems an easy way to overestimate and start eating calories better left on the table. Count the base steps and make your life easier mama!

I'm 5'8 160lbs and not pushing a stroller (thankfully those days are behind me) but an hours walking would earn me 350-500 calories dependent on intensity ..in an hour I walk around 4 ish miles (I'm pretty fit but not an endurance athlete)

I eat all my calories from my Fitbit zip and have maintained for 2 years (I also eat all my calories from my polar hrm)

Yours sounds low