Gluten causing joint pain?

Options
Does anyone else have gluten intolerance? I am having alot of joint pain and was thinking it was from the cold coming (I'm in Vermont) but i was reading up on gluten and wow the list is huge of what it can cause..just curious if others have symptoms of joint pain

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Get tested for celiac disease.
  • celestial2763
    celestial2763 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I saw alot of that in my readings but they also mentioned try the 7 day test of going gluten free and see if it makes a difference..mine seems to be mostly joints
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You should s get the test instead of using dr Google and in order for the test to be accurate you have to still be eating gluten
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It could also be arthritic changes. Go see your doctor.
  • celestial2763
    Options
    Ok looks like i need to make a phone call
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You should s get the test instead of using dr Google and in order for the test to be accurate you have to still be eating gluten

She was just asking for others experiences...geez

OP I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis, and have noticed it is worse when my diet is less whole foods and more of packaged foods. Wish I could say it goes away completely but it is def a marked difference.
  • celestial2763
    Options
    Thank you Hope..I was just starting to research and stepping out here to ask questions
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »

She was just asking for others experiences...geez

OP I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis, and have noticed it is worse when my diet is less whole foods and more of packaged foods. Wish I could say it goes away completely but it is def a marked difference.

The OP's diagnosis needs to start with her doctor, too. Based on what is (or isn't) happening will determine which possible courses of action are viable for her. :)

• jenkofb
    jenkofb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you do go to a Dr, which I suggest, have them also blood test you for RA factor and CCP.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have celiac and my joints were so inflamed that I couldn't hold a #2 pencil anymore and broke an unknown quantity of coffee mugs. It didn't get better for months after I went GF. A 7 day test wouldn't be helpful in my experience.
    I would ask about osteoarthritis, RA and celiac in that order. I have osteoarthritis in my knees and one hip. That hurts when the weather turns damp. I have a couple of joints that still look suspicious for RA, which my dad has, so my doc keeps an eye out for that. A GF diet is not an easy diet. Cross-contamination is real and dangerous to me. I would not eat this way if it weren't absolutely necessary.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    In order to be tested you need to not have modified your diet

But eliminating and identifying whether you get symptomatic relief is also an option, you just won't get medical confirmation of an issue merely an anecdotal, potentially placebo, effect

Does that matter? Probably not

But then again delaying diagnosis of some conditions, such as inflammatory or auto-immune arthritic conditions, can delay and detrimentally affect long term prognosis by delaying appropriate treatment plans

Individual triggers are individual

Always best to start with a real medical team
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It could be one of about a million things. If you think it's gluten you should get tested which means you should be eating gluten for the test to be accurate. My guess is that it's something else if you haven't previously been having issues.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The celiac test is not always accurate. You can certainly do the elimination test.

I had joint pain that kept me awake at night. The doctor tested me for RA, lupus. etc. When I eliminated gluten, it stopped (and solved a myriad of other problems I was having).

I know everyone always suggestions consulting a medical professional, but in my experience, the medical professionals I saw had no clue about gluten intolerance. I solved my own problem, presented them the solution, and they agreed. I'm not saying you don't need to see a doctor, but eliminating gluten on your own is an easy way to see if that's what is causing your pain.
  • celestial2763
    Options
    Melissa I am so sorry for what you have been through! My dad had been treated here (in vermont) for years with RA and moved to a bigger state with obviously more advanced doctors and found out he never had RA, he does have arthritis and i am in the beginning stages of it..and yes I have a few joints that got quite abused thru my work and act up..2 weeks ago i was fine, then my eating got off and the cold set in
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    just heard that dairy is another one that can cause inflammation. And if you are gluten intolerant you might also have problems with dairy.
  • jillybear68
    jillybear68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with slim1. I was diagnosed with an auto-immune condition several years ago and have been receiving treatment for it. A couple years ago I started having joint pain (worse with the cold weather) and then other symptoms started to appear. Every doctor I spoke with about my symptoms just shrugged them off as "something you have to deal with". I recently cut out most (not all) gluten, dairy and refined sugars. I can't believe the difference it has made.

I know not everyone is the same, but doctors are usually in too much of a rush to really listen to your symptoms when they are somewhat vague. I have learned that I need to be my own champion.
  • celestial2763
    Options
    I am but not 100% I use lactose free milk and really limit any other dairy i might have 1 slice of cheese once a week etc...my doctor said as we get older we don't produce the enzyme to breakdown lactose like we did when we were younger
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What you read is aligned with everything I have learned. Gluten is an inflammatory and can show up a lot of different ways, one being joint inflammation. Other common ones are Soy, Dairy, Sugar, Alcohol, and Caffeine. I had similar issues a few years ago. I was tested for celiac (and a million other things) and the tests showed nothing, so there was little help my doctor could provide in this area. On my own, I did an elimination diet for 6 months cutting out Dairy and Gluten. When I brought them back, I no longer had the body soreness and my digestion was working much better. I also started seeing a chiropractor and that has also been a lifesaver. My energy level is WAY up now as well. I just have to monitor my nutrition closely and I usually do a cleanse every 3 months and that seems to work vs. trying to live without them in my diet altogether. I no longer drink caffeinated beverages and that also seems to help.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have celiac and my joints were so inflamed that I couldn't hold a #2 pencil anymore and broke an unknown quantity of coffee mugs. It didn't get better for months after I went GF. A 7 day test wouldn't be helpful in my experience.
    I would ask about osteoarthritis, RA and celiac in that order. I have osteoarthritis in my knees and one hip. That hurts when the weather turns damp. I have a couple of joints that still look suspicious for RA, which my dad has, so my doc keeps an eye out for that. A GF diet is not an easy diet. Cross-contamination is real and dangerous to me. I would not eat this way if it weren't absolutely necessary.

Me too. Another celiac and when my arthralgias flared up I couldn't hold a book, use scissors or get my arms up above my head. Get tested.

The tests you want are the tissue transglutaminase (tTG IgA and tTG IgG), endomysial antibodies (EMA IgA), deaminated gliadin peptides (DGP IgA and DGP IgG), total serum IgA (control test), and possibly the older anti-gliadin antibodies tests (AGA IgA and AGA IgG) if you can't get the DGP tets done.

Ensure you are eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing.

A short GF trial will not be of much help if you are a celiac. It takes months for the immune system to calm down so symptoms may linger. When I first went GF I had one of my worst flare-ups about a month in, but then they started to get further apart, less severe and of shorter duration. The last one I had was after 8+ months without a flare-up, was quite mild, and lasted less than a week.

I too have arthritis that stays though. It looks like OA. Gluten free doesn't help that.

Good luck.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    While I agree that testing is a useful tool to begin with, I know a lot people who do have an intolerance, yet tests showed absolutely nothing. There is no harm if you give it up for some time to see if it makes any difference. Who knows, maybe after some time you can enter it back into your diet in moderation.