pasta what the heck was i thinking

Options
I just had a cup of speghetti and omg when I added up the calories I almost fell off my chair ..What !!! 400 calories plus the sauce another 40 :noway: ... ugh now im gonna have to bike extra to get ride of them ...They say live and learn ... Lets just say pasta is now officially on my worst enemy list .Not gonna make that mistake again LOL

Replies

• jocelyne2
    jocelyne2 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just had a cup of speghetti and omg when I added up the calories I almost fell off my chair ..What !!! 400 calories plus the sauce another 40 :noway: ... ugh now im gonna have to bike extra to get ride of them ...They say live and learn ... Lets just say pasta is now officially on my worst enemy list .Not gonna make that mistake again LOL
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    seems like an awful lot for one cup. when i look it up on the internet, it shows 221 for a cup of cooked white pasta, spaghetti
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-spaghetti-i20421
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta a couple of times a week. Portion control is the key. At first I thought I would not be full enough from the smaller servings. But with salad and lots of vegies in my sauce it's plenty.

If you need to cut it out because you can't control it that's one thing. But I like knowing I can eat what I want as long as I don't over eat it.
  • beahurey
    beahurey Posts: 108
    Options
    It does seem like a lot for pasta. Barilla whole grain pasta is only 200 a serving and tastes great! I think it is okay to have the things you like just in moderation!
  • beahurey
    beahurey Posts: 108
    Options
    You are right...before i would eat a plate full of spaghetti or pasta and nothing else. Yesterday, I combined it with a portion of salad and I was stuffed. I did not even eat the full portion of pasta and sauce. It was great!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    seems like an awful lot for one cup. when i look it up on the internet, it shows 221 for a cup of cooked white pasta, spaghetti
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-spaghetti-i20421

I'm wondering that too? Jocelyne, did you double the calorie amount by accident? Or did you have a double serving? Most of the pastas I buy are around 210cal per serving.
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I eat pasta a couple of times a week. Portion control is the key. At first I thought I would not be full enough from the smaller servings. But with salad and lots of vegies in my sauce it's plenty.

If you need to cut it out because you can't control it that's one thing. But I like knowing I can eat what I want as long as I don't over eat it.

Whenever we have pasta (which my fiancee lives off of) About an 20 min. before we eat, I have a big fresh salad, with the dressing on the side, and it fills me up so I do not eat as much pasta. Make sure you drink a big glass of water too! If you are working out, you need good carbs like whole wheat pasta!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Did you use the cooked weight?

Dry weight of 2 ounces will weigh a lot more after it's cooked!
  • meloui
    meloui Posts: 7
    Options
    Try rice pasta. It is excellent and there is no taste difference.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet has almost half the cals of regular pasta (130 cals per 2 ounces)

www.fibergourmet.com

It is actually DELICIOUS. It has that fresh taste that you normally get when you get the refrigerated pasta. Great texture too. I think I may as well apply to work for this folks, I plug their product so freaking much. :wink:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I eat catelli whole wheat pasta. 1 serving is TONS for me, fills a whole plate and is around 310 cals. 400 sounds high to me.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Good news, sweets!

I think you might have been looking at the dry weight amount. Like, a cup of dried pasta might equal 400 (though that still seems a bit high) whereas an average cup of cooked pasta is around 200.
  • jocelyne2
    jocelyne2 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Actually I went back to check and on this site .. catelli 1 cup of cooked pasta gives me 400 calories.... maybe my calculator , well i hope it is anyways LOL .
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Actually I went back to check and on this site .. catelli 1 cup of cooked pasta gives me 400 calories.... maybe my calculator , well i hope it is anyways LOL .

I see Catelli brand spaghetti dry as 320 calories for 3 dry ounces- (that's straight from the Catelli website) 2 ounces dry will typically make ABOUT one cup in any pasta - so I'd guess that you ate 2/3 of 320 calories which is only 213 calories, not 400 :smile:

Perhaps the information you had found entered incorrectly?