Diabetes, Heart Failure, and Weight Loss = joining MyFitnessPal

Options
I am a male who just came home from the hospital. I went to my doctor complaining of a "chest cold" with deep coughing and extreme difficulty breathing. Weighing in at his office, I was 289 pounds. After a chest x-ray, he diagnosed me with congestive heart failure and hospitalized me. I spent nine days in the hospital undergoing multiple heart examinations and tests while a team of doctors tried to find the right chemical balance to manage persistent afib, aflutter, blood pressure, and insulin. Four of those days were spent in intensive care.

I was put on diuretics and at one point my urine output increased to 2 liters per day, but my heart was so weak that I was moving only about 25% of the blood out of my ventricles and was retaining fluid as fast as the diuretics could remove it. When I left the hospital I was 284 pounds. My cardiologist started me on outpatient cardiac rehabilitation exercises and that, combined with the diuretics, finally allowed me to start casting off the excess fluid in my body. Once the fluid started coming off, I lost 40 pounds in 10 days, leveling off at my current 243 pounds.

I am now checking my blood glucose levels twice a day and following a low cholesterol, low sodium, low carb diet. My blood glucose is down from the 300s to about 160, which is still too high, and although that is better than it was, it has not stabilized yet. Some days it is good, and other days bad, even though I am following the dietary limitations faithfully. My strength (stamina) is improving, and I'm feeling so much better, but I have a LONG, LONG way to go.

The bottom line is that I have permanent damage to my heart, although it may partially recover, and permanent damage to my pancreas. I will be on heart medicine and insulin for the rest of my life. And I need to get back to 160 pounds.

Replies

• joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you will find lots of friends and support here!
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. It might not be appropriate in your own case, but there is a very informative book out there called Conquer Type 2 Diabetes with a Ketogenic Diet. I could not not tell you about it. My ears just perk up whenever I hear "low cholesterol", that you might be seeing an old school cardiologist who has no little or poor continued education in nutritional science. There is a huge old school movement of multiple industries profiting on old misinformation, that really causes a lot of misunderstanding and controversy about cholesterol and various diets. My own dad was fired by his cardiologist when he chose the alternative method, having health issues quite similar to yours. So tread carefully and find a doctor who will support you. If you have trouble finding this book PM me with your email and I will send a copy. It isn't light reading but the testimonials are life changing and this is not quackery or vitamin pushing.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'd say MFP will help you with calorie restriction, but before you start any exercise regimen you should probably consult your doctor again to make sure you are up to it. Walking might be a good option, just make sure the doctor tells you how fast you can walk and how far at first. You may also want to get a HR strap and monitor your heart rate while exercising.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law recently had this same issue with insulin and CHF, and boy does she look and feel so much better now that the excess fluid is gone. She has to follow a low-sodium diet and limit her liquids to 2L per day which has helped. Besides the medications, her most rapid improvements have come from committing to the outpatient cardiac rehab. Each week that she takes the rehab seriously she really improves her fitness, it is well worth the effort. And I can relax knowing that she is working on her fitness in a hospital setting with trained staff on site in case she has any problems. I wish she would start logging her food but so far she is resistant to that. Kudos to you for joining here and learning to log your food and best wishes on your recovery journey! And make the most of that cardiac rehab!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. You will find lots of support, advice and overall good information here.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi I am trying to get back on track after a hiatus I had to take due to injury. I am looking for friends to join the journey with me. You can add me if you like. :)
  • dukenduchess
    dukenduchess Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I'm new to mfp and looking forward to starting a LCHF / Keto way of eating. I have reached "maximum density" so to speak and my body is not very happy about it. So far I haven't over-taxed my kidneys or ventured into the land of diabetes, but I have developed Afib that I now need medication to control. Sounds like you have really been through it. I'd be happy to chat about heart & diet stuff with you.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If any of you would like to be friends, send me a request. I have several health issues that make losing weight hard, but not impossible. I've been on MFP since March 2013 and lost 86 lbs and lost 55 lbs before joining. Thanks, Terri
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi, anyone that could use another friend add me. I've had some health issues that as made losing weight hard, but not impossible. I joined MFP in 3/ 2012 and have lost 86 lbs. I had lost 56 lbs prior to joining.
    Add me if you like. Thanks, Terri
  • thatgirl_blue
    thatgirl_blue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are taking your health seriously. Many people ignore the indicators. I have a family history of the same ailments and hope to prevent most of not all of them from happening to me. Good luck on your journey!